Two Outlets went “dead,” reading low voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Well that would certainly do it. Looks like from the photos you spliced it back together? Working properly now?
    Haven’t done so yet - any thoughts on the best method for a good splice?

Comment

Originally posted by HappyCampers29RS View Post

Haven’t done so yet - any thoughts on the best method for a good splice?
      I’d probably use a big piece of heat shrink tubing over the whole thing and individual heat shrink butt slices on each individual wire.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

HappyCampers29RS ,
        I agree with ncitro -- use weatherproof butt splices and then cover with heat shrink tubing that has a glue lining (meant for environmental conditions).

If none of that makes any sense, don't have the tools, or no experience with these items please consider having someone do the permanent repair for you. If not done right you'll be right back where you started (or worse) somewhere down the road.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So, we were outside talking and decided to take a look under the slide, just to see what we could see. THIS is what we could see!
          The photo with the spring reminded me of another person that had cut SO cord.
          Their's appeared to get pinched by the slide's actuator when closed.

Perhaps some spiral wrap on the SO cord could help protect it.
          3/8 Inches (10 mm) Black Polyethylene Spiral Wire Wrap https://www.amazon.com/Inches-Polyet.../dp/B07BKB4HHZ

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ng-low-voltage
          Photo from GD Reflection group
          Click image for larger version

Name:	SO Cord Cut-Pinched by Slide Actuator-1 2019 295RL.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24449

Name:	SO Cord Cut-Pinched by Slide Actuator-2 2019 295RL.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24450
          Gene and Kim
          2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
          2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I'd be leery of making a "splice" connection on an AC power cord. Most splice connectors are designed for low current DC such as in automotive use. If you look on-line for "Butt Connectors", you'll see that the vast majority of them specify for automotive or marine use (DC Circuits).

If at all possible, I'd replace the entire cord and then protect it from future cuts and abrasion.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              I'd be leery of making a "splice" connection on an AC power cord. Most splice connectors are designed for low current DC such as in automotive use. If you look on-line for "Butt Connectors", you'll see that the vast majority of them specify for automotive or marine use (DC Circuits).

If at all possible, I'd replace the entire cord and then protect it from future cuts and abrasion.

Jim
              The copper wire is “stranded” and not one piece and “stiff” like you see in home wiring. We actually were thinking that butt splices would work in that case? 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

The photo with the spring reminded me of another person that had cut SO cord.
                Their's appeared to get pinched by the slide's actuator when closed.

Perhaps some spiral wrap on the SO cord could help protect it.
                3/8 Inches (10 mm) Black Polyethylene Spiral Wire Wrap https://www.amazon.com/Inches-Polyet.../dp/B07BKB4HHZ

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ng-low-voltage
                Photo from GD Reflection group

Name:	SO Cord Cut-Pinched by Slide Actuator-1 2019 295RL.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24449

Name:	SO Cord Cut-Pinched by Slide Actuator-2 2019 295RL.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24450
                Thank you for that suggestion! I wil show to my husband!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  HappyCampers29RS ,
                  I agree with ncitro -- use weatherproof butt splices and then cover with heat shrink tubing that has a glue lining (meant for environmental conditions).

If none of that makes any sense, don't have the tools, or no experience with these items please consider having someone do the permanent repair for you. If not done right you'll be right back where you started (or worse) somewhere down the road.
                  This is exactly what my husband came up with for the repair, and I will tell him about the heat shrink tubing as a possibility for the cover - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                    Looking at Amazon I do see the reference to automotive. It could just be that I’ve airways bought mine at an electrical supply house but the ones I’ve always used are UL listed and rated to 600V. Certainly something to watch.

Neil Citro

Comment

The copper wire is “stranded” and not one piece and “stiff” like you see in home wiring. We actually were thinking that butt splices would work in that case? 🤔
                      Yeah, if it was solid wire, butt connectors would definetely be a non-option. They have a tendency to come loose on solid wire. The problem as I see it is the current rating that the butt connectors are rated for. If you're going to go that route, then the connectors need to be rated for 15 amps at 120 volts. I did find these connectors on-line that are rated for up to 600V. You'd need the yellow ones for your wiring assuming it is 12 AWG.

https://www.wiringproducts.com/heat-shrink-butt-splices

RV's are supposed to meet the National Electrical Code. The NEC specifies that all connections and splices should be inside of a junction box. Of course, you don't have that option available here. But it may be your only option if you can't get to the wire for replacement.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Looking at Amazon I do see the reference to automotive. It could just be that I’ve airways bought mine at an electrical supply house but the ones I’ve always used are UL listed and rated to 600V. Certainly something to watch.
                        Yep, I just inserted a link in my last reply for 600 V heat shrink butt connectors.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

UPDATE! All fixed and working properly! Thank you so much everyone for the tips, links, and overall support! 🙏

Comment

UPDATE! All fixed and working properly! Thank you so much everyone for the tips, links, and overall support! 🙏
                            Great news! Congrats!!

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                            X