Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install fan in bedroom vent

2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

I would like to install a fan in the front bedroom vent. Is there an available 12 volt source at that location? Is that vent possibly pre-wired for a fan?
    Thank you.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB
    2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 2WD, TC 2.3-liter 4-cylinder

Originally posted by finz04 View Post
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

I would like to install a fan in the front bedroom vent. Is there an available 12 volt source at that location? Is that vent possibly pre-wired for a fan?
    Thank you.
    If it’s pre wired for a second AC then there will be 12v there to use. If not the ceiling is open and it’s pretty easy to get to one of the lights, that’s what I did in my bunk room when I added one there. Four screws pull down the shroud inside around the skylight and have a look.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

If it’s pre wired for a second AC then there will be 12v there to use. If not the ceiling is open and it’s pretty easy to get to one of the lights, that’s what I did in my bunk room when I added one there. Four screws pull down the shroud inside around the skylight and have a look.
      Neil - I'm curious since I've never accessed the wiring for the second AC. Since the AC runs on 120V, why would there also be a 12V source available? I thought there was only 120V and the thermostat connections.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Neil - I'm curious since I've never accessed the wiring for the second AC. Since the AC runs on 120V, why would there also be a 12V source available? I thought there was only 120V and the thermostat connections.

Jim
        When I did mine there was 120V, thermostat wires and a 12V cord as well (the usual two conductor zip wire). I figured out at the end that the thermostat needs 12V, which I grabbed from the light switch next to it rather than the 12V in the ceiling because I had it closed up by then. It was the usual wire they use for everything, (14 or 16 gauge I would think), which should be large enough for a fan.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Clearly I don't want to connect a 12 volt fan to the 120 volt pre-wiring for the AC. Maybe a ceiling light as long as I'm ahead of the switch. I was hoping the factory might drop and cap a 12 volt when they ran wiring for the bedroom in anticipation that someone might order a unit with a vent fan in that room.
          Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

Clearly I don't want to connect a 12 volt fan to the 120 volt pre-wiring for the AC. Maybe a ceiling light as long as I'm ahead of the switch. I was hoping the factory might drop and cap a 12 volt when they ran wiring for the bedroom in anticipation that someone might order a unit with a vent fan in that room.
            Before I post a (crazy?) thought...how much experience do you have with wiring and working with electricity?

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Before I post a (crazy?) thought...how much experience do you have with wiring and working with electricity?
              Very Little and closer to none. I can follow directions, I've replaced my share of outlets, switches and porch lights. I have a healthy respect for ac, but dc doesn't scare me. I wasn't to concerned about tapping a 12 volt source for this project.
              Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

It will be pretty obvious what’s what. The 120V would be solid wire romex (probably yellow) and the 12v is two conductor stranded “zip wire”. If that’s there it’s better to use than the light as it will be fussed higher. It should look like this but it’ll be white with a color on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB19B7C6-B814-486C-906C-A09069E0737D.jpeg
Views:	996
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	24586

Neil Citro

Comment

Just confirming that if the bedroom vent is wired for 120V AC installation, there will be 12V present as well, to run the control circuits of the AC. This is the situation in our Reflection where we installed a 12V fan in the bedroom vent.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Very Little and closer to none. I can follow directions, I've replaced my share of outlets, switches and porch lights. I have a healthy respect for ac, but dc doesn't scare me. I wasn't to concerned about tapping a 12 volt source for this project.
                    OK, then take a look for the wiring ncitro and Cate&Rob are referencing. If you can take a picture of the wires you find and post it here that will help them to point out what-if-what.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

An example of front bedroom A/C / Vent wires. Steve7's 297RSTS.
                      Large Yellow wire is the 120VAC,
                      Orange/White zip/ripcord is the 12 Volt, and thermostat wires to the right.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bedroom AC-Vent Wires - Steve7.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24590
                      Gene and Kim
                      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Good help from all and appreciated. Thank you. I have not yet acquired a fan for this so my post was actually my first step. Based on the help I'm getting here my next step would probably be to drop the trim so I can see what's behind there. I am pre-wired for AC in the bedroom so based on Rob's note plus Gene's pic I should have something to tap right there. I'll get after it this weekend and snap a pic to post. Didn't want to start tearing anything open until I could at least look like I know what I was doing, otherwise I'll get too much attention from the Mrs. Thanks all.
                        Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

In the picture, what's the green wire with the open plug on the end?
                          Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

In the picture, what's the green wire with the open plug on the end?
                            That's the thermostat wires that would connect to the air conditioner.
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking the loose wire(s) to the right might be the thermostat wires.
                              Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

Working...
                              X