Install fan in bedroom vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finz04 View Post
    In the picture, what's the green wire with the open plug on the end?
    Good question . . , I don’t know what that is. The fine gauge 4 wire to the right in the picture is for a remote thermostat.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking the loose wire(s) to the right might be the thermostat wires.
      You're correct. I have no idea what those are for.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The green sleeved wires with the plug on the left, that's part of the Coleman A/C. It plugs into the Coleman's control box that mounts in the ceiling.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	AirXcel Control Box - Cool Only 8330-752.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	24608
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
          The green sleeved wires with the plug on the left, that's part of the Coleman A/C. It plugs into the Coleman's control box that mounts in the ceiling.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	AirXcel Control Box - Cool Only 8330-752.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	24608
          Thanks you
          Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB
          2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 2WD, TC 2.3-liter 4-cylinder

Comment

Starting to think it might be easier to put in the second AC... no wiring issues.
            Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB
            2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 2WD, TC 2.3-liter 4-cylinder

Comment

Starting to think it might be easier to put in the second AC... no wiring issues.
              That’s what I did lol. Hated to give up the light but love the extra cooling.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Just confirming that if the bedroom vent is wired for 120V AC installation, there will be 12V present as well, to run the control circuits of the AC. This is the situation in our Reflection where we installed a 12V fan in the bedroom vent.

Rob
                I’m thinking about putting a Maxxair Deluxe fan (6401k) in the bedroom vent. The data sheet says the fan draws 5 amps at full load. Rob, when you put in your fan, where did the 12volt in the ceiling originate from, and did you need to add fusing?
                Keith
                2018 303RLS, Steadyfast, Reese 16k hitch
                2016 GMC Sierra2500HD Crew Cab 6.5’ Bed 6.2 L Gas 4:30 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Keithb View Post

I’m thinking about putting a Maxxair Deluxe fan (6401k) in the bedroom vent. The data sheet says the fan draws 5 amps at full load. Rob, when you put in your fan, where did the 12volt in the ceiling originate from, and did you need to add fusing?
                  Keith
                  Hi Keith,

In the roof space adjacent to the bedroom vent opening, will be a 120V outlet, a 4 wire cable that goes to the wall behind the light switch (for an AC thermostat) and a 14 ga two wire loop (for powering the AC control board). This two wire loop is what I splice into to power the Maxxair fan. Because it is a "loop", I presume that this circuit feeds other things (probably the lights) but I did not track this down and I did not add an additional fuse. I do not recall if the fan has its own fuse or if one was recommended. This circuit would (should) be protected by one of the standard 10A fuses in the main fuse panel . . . which should be sufficient for a 5A max load. BTW, we seldom run this fan at more than 30% of max speed.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,
                    Thanks for your prompt reply! I waited until things warmed up a little bit (it was 20 this morning) and went to out the camper and dropped the trim piece. I found the wiring in my 2018 to be exactly was you described in your 2015. Plus a cupful of sawdust from construction!
                    I will be ordering the fan to install in the warmer weather that I know is coming. Thank you for sharing your experience.
                    Keith
                    2018 303RLS, Steadyfast, Reese 16k hitch
                    2016 GMC Sierra2500HD Crew Cab 6.5’ Bed 6.2 L Gas 4:30 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Keithb View Post
                      Rob,
                      Thanks for your prompt reply! I waited until things warmed up a little bit (it was 20 this morning) and went to out the camper and dropped the trim piece. I found the wiring in my 2018 to be exactly was you described in your 2015. Plus a cupful of sawdust from construction!
                      I will be ordering the fan to install in the warmer weather that I know is coming. Thank you for sharing your experience.
                      Keith
                      Please take pictures as I am planning something simular
                      Thanks Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                      X