Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading my 2650RK 30amp to 50 amp

hello,

I would like to add a second A/C unit to my travel trailer and only have 30 amp hook-ups. I am thinking that all it would take is to replace the power distribution box and power cord receptacle to go to 50 amps. Is this correct or is it more complicated than that? If so, what would it take to upgrade to 50 amp? If this is possible i would like to do it before next summer when i move to Tucson next summer and have to deal with 110+ temperatures. Thanks for any information.

Originally posted by corydon View Post
    hello,

I would like to add a second A/C unit to my travel trailer and only have 30 amp hook-ups. I am thinking that all it would take is to replace the power distribution box and power cord receptacle to go to 50 amps. Is this correct or is it more complicated than that? If so, what would it take to upgrade to 50 amp? If this is possible i would like to do it before next summer when i move to Tucson next summer and have to deal with 110+ temperatures. Thanks for any information.
    In addition to that you would need to replace the wiring from the panel to the inlet connector, and run wiring to the AC unit. It should not be too difficult if you are comfortable with that kind of work. Another option would be to install the front AC and power it directly from the 20 amp outlet in the pedistal. There is another thread going about this on here. I did it once on a friends pop up camper, basically had a really short cord hanging off the unit on the roof and you plugged in an extension cord before raising the room, and ran that over to the pedestal. Something like that could be adapted to the imagine if you are comfortable getting on the roof to connect the cord.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by corydon View Post
      hello,

Welcome Corydon. Is it Cory and Don?

Being a Tucson resident for the last 25 years, I can attest that you'll need the second air. It would be nice if I could run four of them... LOL.

It really is fairly straight forward to replace the exterior socket with a 50 amp receptacle, run six AWG wire to the power distribution center and replace the power distribution center. All the branch circuits need to be wired to the same size breakers you have now. And of course the incoming lines will each need to have a 50 amp breaker tied together as a dual pole configuration.

The issue will be getting 120VAC from the distribution center up to the roof to power the AC. If you have a plan for that, and the associated skills to work with 120VAC electrical systems, it's doable. If you have any doubts about your ability to accomplish the task, I'd sugges you hire a licensed electrician to either go over your plans and/or perform the work.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Moderator note - moved this thread to the Electrical channel
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment