2020 2670 MK questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 2670 MK questions

I added solar panels on the roof and are now planning on doing the roof penetration to run it down to where I store by batteries. Planning on running it through one of the closets in the bedroom down to the garage where I will maintain my batteries.

1.) Do I need to reinforce the garage to hold my batteries? They are VIctron 12V 220AH batteries that weight like 130lbs a piece. I will have two of them.

2.) I have not crawled underneath much. I see a black box mounted to the frame near where garage is. I assume that is the transfer switch. Where is the converter?

3.) I know the bottom is protected and insulated. How do you recommend running wires without destroying this?

4.) I am planning on a 3000VA Victron inverter. Is there room in the area behind the fuse box to mount this. What is the easiest way to access this area?

Thanks

Originally posted by pktrusty View Post
    I added solar panels on the roof and are now planning on doing the roof penetration to run it down to where I store by batteries. Planning on running it through one of the closets in the bedroom down to the garage where I will maintain my batteries.

1.) Do I need to reinforce the garage to hold my batteries? They are VIctron 12V 220AH batteries that weight like 130lbs a piece. I will have two of them.

2.) I have not crawled underneath much. I see a black box mounted to the frame near where garage is. I assume that is the transfer switch. Where is the converter?

3.) I know the bottom is protected and insulated. How do you recommend running wires without destroying this?

4.) I am planning on a 3000VA Victron inverter. Is there room in the area behind the fuse box to mount this. What is the easiest way to access this area?

Thanks
    Good morning. I'm going to start out stating that I've never seen an Imagine 2670 MK, but I'm currently looking at the floor plan. But to get on the same page, I need to understand a couple things.

First, the 2670 does not have a garage? Are you possibly referring to the pass through or basement storage behind the hitch?

Next, unless your dealer installed a transfer switch, it should not be equipped with one. GDRV does not install a transfer switch unless the unit has a residential refrigerator or it comes equipped with the complete solar package.

Finally, the batteries are typically installed on the battery tray on the travel trailer's A-frame. Is this what you're referring to, or the pass through storage?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

1.) Yes I meant the pass through storage. I know they are normally mounted on the hitch. I don't have room to install the 2-12v 220AH batteries up there. I just didn't know if that could support 260lbs in batteries without any additional support.

2.) i installed solar, I am running the power down to my passthrough to my Mppt controller and batteries. I ran it through one of the closets. I can install the inverter in the pass through as well but would prefer to install it next to the panel or somewhere else. I will end up removing my converter since my inverter is a inverter/charger. I just didn't know if anyone had any specifics.

3.) I am waiting on my inverter, but I don't know what the underside insulations and such looks like. Any tips on running wire through the underside?

Comment

Originally posted by pktrusty View Post
        1.) Yes I meant the pass through storage. I know they are normally mounted on the hitch. I don't have room to install the 2-12v 220AH batteries up there. I just didn't know if that could support 260lbs in batteries without any additional support. The floor is very heavy duty. It is framed and covered by plywood. It should easily support the weight of those big ol' batteries.

2.) i installed solar, I am running the power down to my passthrough to my Mppt controller and batteries. I ran it through one of the closets. I can install the inverter in the pass through as well but would prefer to install it next to the panel or somewhere else. I will end up removing my converter since my inverter is a inverter/charger. I just didn't know if anyone had any specifics. You're actually much better installing your inverter as close to the battery bank as you possibly can. The ideal situation would be to mount it on the wall beside those big batteries. The reason being is that an inverter will pull a lot of current when it is running near it's maximum power. You can experience a lot of loss when you have a long wiring run. The shorter the better. If your inverter doesn't mention the suggested wire size, I'd recommend 2/0 AWG for a 2000 watt inverter, and 4/0 for a 3000 watt inverter. I'm going to post a picture below of the wall from my Reflection travel trailer. In the picture you can see my 2000 watt inverter wired with 2/0 welding cable, along with the switch and the fuse. You'll also see the mattery monitor and the MPPT solar controller mounted on the wall too.

3.) I am waiting on my inverter, but I don't know what the underside insulations and such looks like. Any tips on running wire through the underside?
        When you get your rig, I'd suggest your unscrew a few feet of the liner at the front of your trailer in order to see what's under the main floor. You sure don't want to puncture any wiring or other critical structure.

Hi there. I'm going to answer above. Check out my responses in "red".

Here's a photo of my wall with the inverter, solar controller and battery monitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	25037

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Wow, I have the Victron 100/50 and going to run the Victron 3000VA inverter. What voltage are you running? How much solar do you have? What did you use for your backing? 3/8 Plywood? How long of screws did you do. I called Grand Design to confirm the length of screws I should use for my solar. Not sure about size for fastening things like that. Much more used to working on houses or cars.

I was going to mount the BMV next to the thermostat but it is wireless and probably a better display through the app than online?

Comment

Working...
          X