Grand Design 2670MK roof wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Design 2670MK roof wiring

I installed Solar on my RV and I am looking for a good place to run the wires down to the passthrough. I was going to be a enclosure through the roof and into the bedroom closet. After measuring up today, I don't I have enough room today without impacting the front fiberglass cap. I have roof vents and would consider running inside the wall. What is the best way to locate a place to run it. I have read that some units have a cap on the roof that is labeled as a pass through wiring conduit but I don't see anything. I have roof vents but not sure that is the best option.

If you have solar prep on your unit, the port will look like the photo below. You'll need to scrape off the sealant, and unscrew the plate that covers the hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	25360

If you don't have that, I see two excellent places you can run the wire through. The first one is in the bedroom closet that backs up to the bathroom. That is the same location I ran mine on my Reflection travel trailer. Here's a photo of the wires at the back of my closet. From there, I ran them down through the floor and along the frame to make my connections. Just be careful drilling through the ceiling and out the roof so you don't hit any electrical wires or duct work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0826.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	25361

And you have an option that few other GDRV owners have. Your refrigerator is mounted at the back of the coach. You can run the wires through the vent stack and work them down to the frame and come foreward. Traditionally, that has been a widely accepted practice, and I'm sure you can find examples of how to do that on YouTube.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Also look at the sewer vent stack if you don't have the solar prep. You should be able to see it in the basement. In my case the dealer ran the solar wiring just outside the stack in the stack chase (inside the wall) . My solar controller is mounted in the wall by the stack near my fan control the T-stat.

Hope this helps.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I pulled the insulation off the bottom side hoping to see a vent running from one of the tanks and I didn't really see anything. My tanks are mounted flush to the underside of my trailer and if they have a vent, they must come directly out the top of the tank. I can see where wires run to my circuit panel and probably for my side. Looks like my Fridge is one of my last options possibly. My refrigerator vent stack isn't on the roof. I could probably penetrate the roof into the refrigerator compartment and then run down underneath the trailer to my batteries.

I was going to store my batteries under my bed but my fresh water tank is directly underneath. I don't want to run them underneath and pinch them when i install the tank so it looks like the front pass through is the best option.

Comment

I ended up running it through my roof into the refrigerator vent and down. Ran the wires to the front pass through. Down the home stretch now.

Comment

Originally posted by pktrusty View Post
            I ended up running it through my roof into the refrigerator vent and down. Ran the wires to the front pass through. Down the home stretch now.
            Glad to see the project moving along and you found a place to run the wires.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
            X