Passenger Tail Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Tail Light

We have a 2018 Reflection 303rls. We are having a problem where the bulb in the passenger side tail light keeps going out. We have replaced the bulb twice in the last two weeks. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Lcirelli
    Welcome to our owners technical forum!

When you say that the light “keeps going out” . . . is the filament inside the bulb breaking or is the connection to the socket the problem ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The first bulb was burnt out. The second time, The bulb wouldn’t work, so we jiggled the socket and the second bulb was fine. Then that bulb wouldn’t work, but looked good, couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Put in another bulb and it’s working.

Comment

Originally posted by Lcirelli View Post
        The first bulb was burnt out. The second time, The bulb wouldn’t work, so we jiggled the socket and the second bulb was fine. Then that bulb wouldn’t work, but looked good, couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Put in another bulb and it’s working.
        It would seem that you have answered your own question . If the bulb is loose in the socket, the socket can sometimes be bent in a little with needle nose pliers to hold the bulb more firmly. Also, the pins on the side of the bulb base are at different heights, as are the slots in the socket. These need to be aligned correctly.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Lcirelli -- do away with the incandescent bulbs completely by going LED. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We had the same problem. The plastic inside the socket that holds the contact cracked and wouldn't hold it tight to the contact on the bulb. You can buy the exact same tail light in LED. Search for Optronics LED tail lights. Or you can get a different brand if it will fit.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Didn’t know about the different size pins. I’ll have my husband try to tighten the socket. Can I just substitute the incandescent bulb for an LED one? Do I have to buy a whole new light?

Comment

Originally posted by Lcirelli View Post
                Didn’t know about the different size pins. I’ll have my husband try to tighten the socket. Can I just substitute the incandescent bulb for an LED one? Do I have to buy a whole new light?
                Better to buy the new light IMHO. It's not very expensive, super easy to replace (if you get the similarly-sized version), and the extra visibility is well worth the time and investment. If you haven't already, give the thread I linked a read.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lcirelli

Post 20 in the linked thread has a picture of the Bargman LED tail lights that several of us have upgraded to. Many times brighter than the original lights. https://www.bargman.com/mobile/produ...t6h1REGcLqdzI=

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X