BMV-712 battery monitor incorrectly displaying 100% SOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    gbkims (aka "Gandalf") strikes again! Really good stuff, Gene. I'd never read the impact that solar can have on the BMV.

steve&renee -- I think your post is stating exactly what the manual is recommending
    So my conclusion about what's been posted and learned in this thread is that the SOC number displayed by the BMV-712 (and other makes and models) is a warm fuzzy number that may not even be close to reality. Good to know (like how you interpret the black tank sensor readout), but knowing this is not that satisfying given the dollars and labor expended.

Thanks for all the feedback. Great stuff. I appreciate all of you.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve,

My BMV712 tracked perfectly in a recent boondocking trip for eight days, where no solar panels were used. I will be converting my small 100watt panel to a lithium supported controller and will be watching for this issue.

Jim

Comment

We just returned from our trip, which ended with four days in a row of boondocking. We ran the batteries down pretty good, I think 30% most mornings and 10% at least one. After I got the charge detected settings dialed in I can also say the SOC tracked perfectly. Batteries took full amps right up to 98 or 99% when the current tailed down for the last bit and it reset to 100%. I definitely trust it a lot more than the black tank readings, just have to get the settings right.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
        X