Official Recall letter received - Issued by Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Recall letter received - Issued by Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Got my letter in the mail today on the electrical connectors. Indicated to call dealer and they will open the underbelly at locations of the Molex Connectors. Only supposed to take a hour.

What that tell me is it will be sliced open and taped back. I guess I will call the dealer and check, then have a chat with customer service on options. Letter did say for folks far from the dealer they will work out arrangements. I also need to call GD and find out where all of these connection are. I know where a few are for the slid, but wonder if there are others.

If they do cut open the belly what is the correct repair method for sealing it back up? Thoughts
    Keith

On edit - would it be possible if one of the moderators could reach out to GD (Emily or Megan) and find out what the repair procedures are supposed to be and how things should be put back together? Thanks

Second edit - there are actually 2 recalls on this one is NHTSA (my Vin is outside the posted list) and the other from Canada. Information is on the GD web page under recalls. Both recall letters are posted in PDF form for reading. Hope this helps

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-362

TC Recall Number: 2020-280
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-27-2020, 09:31 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda - Sending PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The Molex Connectors are easily reached by just detaching the edge of the underbelly. Shouldn't be too difficult or damage the underbelly.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
        The Molex Connectors are easily reached by just detaching the edge of the underbelly. Shouldn't be too difficult or damage the underbelly.
        This is essentially the procedure defined by Grand Design for their dealers to follow. There is no mention of cutting the underbelly coroplast. Yoda A dealer proposing to cut the coroplast and tape it back into position should be referred to the recall information provided to them by Grand Design.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

This is essentially the procedure defined by Grand Design for their dealers to follow. There is no mention of cutting the underbelly coroplast. Yoda A dealer proposing to cut the coroplast and tape it back into position should be referred to the recall information provided to them by Grand Design.

Rob
          Sent you a PM
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I would have thought the only place these connectors are used is going into the slideouts, but I can tell you that when I replaced my fridge there was one behind the fridge (inside the rig) which was intermittant and rusty. I can see where they would want a dealer to do this due to the possibly multiple connectors that would need to be inspected. I shudder to think what my dealer would say during an inspection since I have replaced most of them (I assume) already lol. I think I will wait for a rally for GD to check it out.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              I would have thought the only place these connectors are used is going into the slideouts, but I can tell you that when I replaced my fridge there was one behind the fridge (inside the rig)
              There are two of these Molex connectors on every circuit going to any device or outlet in a slide. Grand Design uses solid copper (residential) wire for 120V wiring within the body of the coach or within a slide. To get from one to the other, they have to transition to flexible stranded wire (like an extension cord) that will flex with the in/out travel of the slide. Molex connectors are used to make the transition from solid to stranded and again within the slide from stranded back to solid.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

There are two of these Molex connectors on every circuit going to any device or outlet in a slide. Grand Design uses solid copper (residential) wire for 120V wiring within the body of the coach or within a slide. To get from one to the other, they have to transition to flexible stranded wire (like an extension cord) that will flex with the in/out travel of the slide. Molex connectors are used to make the transition from solid to stranded and again within the slide from stranded back to solid.

Rob
                Makes sense, so the one behind the fridge was transitioning from the SO cord back to romex to feed the fridge outlet and outlet in my dinette.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Makes sense, so the one behind the fridge was transitioning from the SO cord back to romex to feed the fridge outlet and outlet in my dinette.
                  Yup . . . .
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Fellow owners. I just want to reiterate that even though this forum is owned by GDRV, the moderators are fellow owners like you are. We do not work for Grand Design and any advice provided is that of a fellow owner, and not a Grand Design employee.

Do to the nature of this safety related recall, please address all recall related questions or concerns to your dealership's service department, or Grand Design Customer Service at 574-825-9679 or email:
                    customerservice@granddesignrv.com

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Update: Many of us in the United States received letters that referenced the "Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act". Grand Design has been notifified of this situation and found that the wrong letter was sent by GDRV's mailing company. They will be remailing the letters this week with the correct NHTSA reference.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                      X