Rewire Front Bay of Reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewire Front Bay of Reflection

As a part of my inverter replacement I have pulled everything out of my front bay. Over the years I have added a bunch of circuits and added components (problem with doing inverter, solar, and lithium in three different projects) and it was all kind of hacked together. I figured now would be the time, and I pulled out the batteries, charge converter, DC to DC charger, and the bus bars I have added over the last few years. When I added my circuits I just added inline fuse connectors and tied them to the hot bus bar from the factory with the self resetting circuit breakers. I am thinking of adding something like this to clean up my install:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5026.png
Views:	666
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	25929

It will take up to 100 amps, and individual circuits of 30A. I was debating whether to ditch my self resetting circuit breakers and move those loads to this fuse panel. All of them are below 30 amps except one that's 50 (I assume the one that feeds the main fuse panel inside). I figured I would keep that one separate. Any thoughts on replacing the others with fuses rather than the self resetting breakers? I realize if they pop I will need to change them out, but that should not really be an issue I would not think?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Neil

I am going to follow this so I can learn about the self resetting breakers. I think I understand them but I am not sure of the usage , other than protection. If there is an over current and the breaker trips there is a time period that it will not allow power thru to the circuit being protected. At some point , I assume , the breaker cools and automatically resets. The auto reset will only take place when the problem , down the line , is remedied. If the problem is not remedied does the breaker ever cool down or try to reset?
    The only breaker I have , on a dump trailer , I was told to add to the brake circuit to prevent batter damage.

I do have the same fuse block that you have pictured and planned to use for some extra circuits that I was going to install , have not done yet. If your method proves valid then I will probably follow what you do.

In hopes of not side tracking this thread and still needing to learn,,,,,,,,

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Neil

I am going to follow this so I can learn about the self resetting breakers. I think I understand them but I am not sure of the usage , other than protection. If there is an over current and the breaker trips there is a time period that it will not allow power thru to the circuit being protected. At some point , I assume , the breaker cools and automatically resets. The auto reset will only take place when the problem , down the line , is remedied. If the problem is not remedied does the breaker ever cool down or try to reset?
      The only breaker I have , on a dump trailer , I was told to add to the brake circuit to prevent batter damage.

I do have the same fuse block that you have pictured and planned to use for some extra circuits that I was going to install , have not done yet. If your method proves valid then I will probably follow what you do.

In hopes of not side tracking this thread and still needing to learn,,,,,,,,

Brian
      No problem you’re more than welcome to tag along lol. That’s my understanding of them too. I’m assuming they’re just used in places where it would be inconvenient to access fuses to change them, but would like someone to verify lol
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

DC Self Resetting CB Cutaway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1cz021OvU&t
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

An auto reset circuit breaker makes sense when you might not be aware that an important circuit had opened. Brake apply comes to mind. Fuses are simple and fail safe . . . particularly if you are there to figure out why the fuse blew, before replacing it. Circuit breakers can also change their capacity if they cycle frequently. A fuse will always be a go/ no go at its design capacity. I would not be worried about replacing circuit breakers with a quality fuse panel like you have in mind.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            An auto reset circuit breaker makes sense when you might not be aware that an important circuit had opened. Brake apply comes to mind. Fuses are simple and fail safe . . . particularly if you are there to figure out why the fuse blew, before replacing it. Circuit breakers can also change their capacity if they cycle frequently. A fuse will always be a go/ no go at its design capacity. I would not be worried about replacing circuit breakers with a quality fuse panel like you have in mind.

Rob
            Kind of my thinking too. Thanks Rob, I’m going to go ahead.

Neil Citro

Comment

So gbkims , Gene , has a great video on how it works but I need more to learn.

Why , if a fuse is ok , do they use a circuit breaker?

Does one have a significant benefit over the other?

Is there a place where one should only use a circuit breaker?

I know too many questions but I am "semi" 12v competent and curious.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                So gbkims , Gene , has a great video on how it works but I need more to learn.

Why , if a fuse is ok , do they use a circuit breaker?

Does one have a significant benefit over the other?

Is there a place where one should only use a circuit breaker?

I know too many questions but I am "semi" 12v competent and curious.

Brian
                I never thought about these auto reset CBs till I got an RV.
                My truck has ~73 fuses and 3 CBs
                CB1 25A Power Seat Passenger
                CB2 25A Power Seat Driver
                CB3 25A Power Windows

Napa's page gives one reason for auto reset CBs.
                Know-How Notes: Guide To Automotive Fuses http://knowhow.napaonline.com/know-h...omotive-fuses/
                Resettable Circuit Breakers
                Some manufacturers use auto-reset breakers for certain devices that have high current draw during start-up, such as cooling fans or electric motors
                The benefit of an auto-reset breaker is that they reset themselves in the event that the initial draw is too high due to heat or other issues.
                ... An auto-reset breaker is not a good idea for electronics because it will constantly try to reset in the event of a failure or short, and that is not a good thing.
                Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  It will take up to 100 amps, and individual circuits of 30A. I was debating whether to ditch my self resetting circuit breakers and move those loads to this fuse panel. All of them are below 30 amps except one that's 50 (I assume the one that feeds the main fuse panel inside). I figured I would keep that one separate. Any thoughts on replacing the others with fuses rather than the self resetting breakers? I realize if they pop I will need to change them out, but that should not really be an issue I would not think?
                  I've got one, works well for organizing the wires as there was only two auto reset CBs for all the front compartment DC wires originally.

Gene and Kim

Comment

Working...
                  X