Utility Light Won't shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Light Won't shut off

I have a 2020 GD Reflection 150 Series 295 RL. Mounted outside, just above the sewer discharge outlet is a push button LED utility light. Push the button once and it turns on fully (all LED elements light up). Push the button again and all but one element turn off as though going from bright to dim. What I can't do is turn the light off completely. It's either bright or dim. Is this some sort of a night light or should I be able to turn this off completely?

Thank you.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB
    2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 2WD, TC 2.3-liter 4-cylinder

This is a new issue I haven't heard of. If possible, can you add a photograph of the light?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sure can. You can see the single lit element to the let side of the light.
      Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

Well then... This is a new "feature" that they must have just started installing. It looks like a motion activated light. We'll have to wait and see if anyone else with a new trailer has dealt with this.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

It doesn’t appear to be a motion sensor light like those in the storage area. I can’t see a sensor on it. It doesn’t go out and then back on. It just stays on. Even the motion sensor lights in storage can be turned off. It does shut off when I kill the battery (and comes back on when the battery is enabled), so I’m not concerned about a drain. But there should be a way to turn it off. I thought the same as you, that perhaps it’s a new feature. I was hoping somebody with a 2020 Reflection 5th wheel might have the same thing going on and comment. If it is a new feature at least I would know it was normal, although kind of unnecessary. If it’s not normal then I’ll have to deal with it to be sure it’s not related to a larger issue.
          Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

This may sound like a dumb question, but is there a hidden switch under the lens or along the bottom/back of the light housing? I see a little black tab at the base in the photo.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by finz04 View Post
              I have a 2020 GD Reflection 150 Series 295 RL. Mounted outside, just above the sewer discharge outlet is a push button LED utility light. Push the button once and it turns on fully (all LED elements light up). Push the button again and all but one element turn off as though going from bright to dim. What I can't do is turn the light off completely. It's either bright or dim. Is this some sort of a night light or should I be able to turn this off completely?

Thank you.
              Insert a small screwdriver in the rectangular hole at the top of the pic and pop off the cover and see what you can see? Just a thought.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Thanks Dave. On your suggestion I did that. It's simple little bezel that pops off. The fixture itself is sealed and there's not much to see. I think I've decided in my mind that it's a bad light fixture. Either it was that way and I just didn't notice or it went bad. The light has 10 diodes. When on 8 of them light. When "off", one stays on. Also I notice that one of the diodes that won't light occasionally flickers. The fixture is a simple 2 screw and 2 wire install and looks to be not terribly expensive. So not gonna sweat it anymore, just change it. It's a seldom used light so I will likely just disconnect until I can replace it. Meanwhile I wrote an inquiry to to the GD service department. Maybe they'll just send me a replacement under warranty. Thanks for the responses.
                Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

Originally posted by finz04 View Post
                  Thanks Dave. On your suggestion I did that. It's simple little bezel that pops off. The fixture itself is sealed and there's not much to see. I think I've decided in my mind that it's a bad light fixture. Either it was that way and I just didn't notice or it went bad. The light has 10 diodes. When on 8 of them light. When "off", one stays on. Also I notice that one of the diodes that won't light occasionally flickers. The fixture is a simple 2 screw and 2 wire install and looks to be not terribly expensive. So not gonna sweat it anymore, just change it. It's a seldom used light so I will likely just disconnect until I can replace it. Meanwhile I wrote an inquiry to to the GD service department. Maybe they'll just send me a replacement under warranty. Thanks for the responses.
                  Good deal. I suspected it may be the fixture and figured you may end up just replacing it. Probably a simple fix. GD may well pop one in the mail to you. Good luck.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

By the way, this is the light. 420509 : LIGHT LED DOME LIGHT W/BLACK CAP

Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

Did you have any resolution for this issue? I have it now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgee View Post
                        Did you have any resolution for this issue? I have it now too.
                        As noted in post 8, the owner called Grand Design Customer Service and asked for a replacement (part number noted in post 10). If replacing the fixture is not something you're familiar with doing (no shame!) ask the Customer Service rep to authorize a mobile technician to do the work. (You'll have to pay the technician's "service fee" to come to you--that's not labor--but GD *should* cover everything else if pre-approved.)

GD's # is on the "business card", home page of this forum.

Noted that was your first post, so please take a moment to learn more about this place by reading the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Mgee.

I was successful with GD via email. They sent me a replacement free of charge and in short order (had it in less than a week). All I had to do was return the bad part to them... and they paid the shipping for that. It was a quick swap, just two wires and two screws and I was done. And the problem was solved.
                          Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB

Comment

I called and they are sending a new one. I saw moisture in the light so I suspect that is the cause. Not sure if the moisture is coming from a bad seal on the mounting surface or seeping through the switch grommet button.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgee View Post
                              I called and they are sending a new one. I saw moisture in the light so I suspect that is the cause. Not sure if the moisture is coming from a bad seal on the mounting surface or seeping through the switch grommet button.
                              Hope you'll take a moment to read the Welcome Letter to New Members. It will explain how to fill out your sig line, how to quote and tag, and other tips & tricks to get the most out of your time here on the forum.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X