No announcement yet.

Trailer LED backup lights - Whats good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer LED backup lights - Whats good?

I did not know if I should put this here or on in Exterior

Anyway as I am wiring in a new pig tail I will have a way to easily connect and run a wire to backup lights. With the receiver mount I have a way to mount post type lights. I believe the cross frame will work too.

I have several questions.

One - how many amps will the normal reverse circuit handle on the new Ford trucks - especially as they have all gone LED? I can always set up a relay to use either truck or trailer power. Dealer did not know.

What lights are good? I found the following on Amazon Looked for waterproof. Man have prices come down

https://www.amazon.com/AUZKIN-Submer...6513024&sr=8-4 These pack some power, but may be too bright. Relay probably required.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMCORN-1200...513024&sr=8-18 These have been recommended other places

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Backup...513024&sr=8-26 These offer a side shooter option in several configurations. Was wondering if that might be helpful when looking in truck mirriors. Might upset neighbors though.

Why do I need them. In the years I have been camping I have lost track of the times I or the DW were out with a flash light trying to scope out backing into a site at night, or wondering if I had clearance to back up in a parking lot with out some bumble head coming up behind as I was backing up and honking. I now have a camera out back and want to light things up, while trying to be respectful of the neighbors. There have been a few times I wanted more evening light outside too, possibly even a third light on the trailer side . Dang more money - could wire it into the step light if I can figure out the circuit power (or another relay) Ill add that one to the Round-to-It list

Why the side light?
    Had a bad bear scare once and if I had outside light (we were eating smores out under the stars when a small black bear came up and sniffed my daughter (she screamed and the bear ran off - rangers in pursuit). They told us to have a Colman lantern out. Sequoia National Park. Good grief that was 25 years ago.

I know try to arrive early and stop sooner, but Poo happens

Last question
    Has anyone done this? Search turned up little.

Thanks
    Keith

And yes I am board. I did cut Hay today though, but right after I did it forecast change. Darn - can I get a break? Ill go torment my German Shepard - she needs it

PS - How many RV trailer brands actually offer back up lights on their units? GD - low cost safety improvement. Something to consider.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I found these 2 videos that show a nice install
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jwWCK3iMg
    Here he adds the side lights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYhRPEQiTY

He has a fancy way of turning them on. I may just install a secondary switch for the side and rear lights somewhere - not fond of remotes.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      I found these 2 videos that show a nice install
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jwWCK3iMg
      Here he adds the side lights
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYhRPEQiTY

He has a fancy way of turning them on. I may just install a secondary switch for the side and rear lights somewhere - not fond of remotes.
      Interesting mod. Should be fairly easy to incorporate into your trailer.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Interesting mod. Should be fairly easy to incorporate into your trailer.
        Thanks Howard
        The problem is the cornucopia of lights out there. Yep I just blew a few gray cells using that big word .

Proper wattage and water proof rating are important I think. In the video he used 16W floods on the side and 2-36 watt flood to the rear. His light brand is weather/water resistant, not weather/water proof. Seems to be about right for lighting needs to the side and rear and not too bad for the neighbors. Still looking for a good solid light brand to use.

Keith

Comment

Yoda
          Hi Keith,

Something to think about as you plan this lighting is the shadows that you will create. It will be difficult to see things in dark areas adjacent to brightly lit areas. You might want to think about putting your "back-up" lights under the forward end of the trailer so that they provide lighting as you position the trailer on the site and get blocking in place.

I put a row of ten "penny" lights about 3 ft apart down each side of the trailer skirt. These are on a dimmer so that they can be adjusted from bright for setting up, to barely on for campsite lighting. The lights were easy to install in the plastic skirt, but wiring these 20 lights was a PITA because some go in and out withe the slides, etc. I powered then from the step light circuit so they don't come on automatically with truck reverse, but this has not been a problem.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Amp draw by the LED lights added to my truck:
            Rear under bumper mount: (2) 7" 36W 3600 Lumens 1.1 Amp each.
            Front (2) 2" Cube 40W 3600 lumens 1.21 Amp each.

For awhile had a 22" lightbar rated 400W, it drew 4 Amps.
            So the watts rating on these LEDs didn't draw the amount of Amps I thought they would.
            Last edited by gbkims; 08-04-2020, 02:43 PM.
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Yoda
              Hi Keith,

Something to think about as you plan this lighting is the shadows that you will create. It will be difficult to see things in dark areas adjacent to brightly lit areas. You might want to think about putting your "back-up" lights under the forward end of the trailer so that they provide lighting as you position the trailer on the site and get blocking in place.

I put a row of ten "penny" lights about 3 ft apart down each side of the trailer skirt. These are on a dimmer so that they can be adjusted from bright for setting up, to barely on for campsite lighting. The lights were easy to install in the plastic skirt, but wiring these 20 lights was a PITA because some go in and out withe the slides, etc. I powered then from the step light circuit so they don't come on automatically with truck reverse, but this has not been a problem.

Rob
              You and my money
              Thanks for the idea.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                Amp draw by the LED lights added to my truck:
                Rear under bumper mount: (2) 7" 36W 3600 Lumens 1.1 Amp each.
                Front (2) 2" Cube 40W 3600 lumens 1.21 Amp each.

For awhile had a 22" lightbar rated 400W, it drew 4 Amps.
                So the watts rating on these LEDs didn't draw the amount of Amps I thought they would.
                Thanks - maybe I can get away without a relay.

Comment

Yoda
                  Hi Keith,

Rob
                  Rob do you have a link to these? I cant seem to find penny lights. Everything I am finding are rock lights.

Thanks
                  Keith

Comment

My son in law has these Cree LED lights installed on his golf cart and it will take your retinas out instantly.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/roug...t=light%20bars

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      My son in law has these Cree LED lights installed on his golf cart and it will take your retinas out instantly.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/roug...t=light%20bars

Jim
                      That might be a little much for backing up. But I see they have some smaller units. I like Cree leds too.

Comment

Rob do you have a link to these? I cant seem to find penny lights. Everything I am finding are rock lights.

Thanks
                        Keith
                        Hi Keith,

These from Amazon look very similar to what I used (although mine came from a local Canadian parts place). I put 10 down each side.
                        https://www.amazon.com/TMH-Clearance...e%2C163&sr=1-1

I drilled the holes in the plastic facia with a step drill. Inserted the rubber gasket/retainer and the light fit inside that. Mine have been there for several years and have remained in place and functioning. There are also amber (and red) versions but the white ones on a dimmer work well for the range of lighting needed.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Keith,

These from Amazon look very similar to what I used (although mine came from a local Canadian parts place). I put 10 down each side.
                          https://www.amazon.com/TMH-Clearance...e%2C163&sr=1-1

I drilled the holes in the plastic facia with a step drill. Inserted the rubber gasket/retainer and the light fit inside that. Mine have been there for several years and have remained in place and functioning. There are also amber (and red) versions but the white ones on a dimmer work well for the range of lighting needed.

Rob
                          Thanks Rob. My skirting (lower trim piece) is aluminum, but it should be easy to do. I guess I need to buy a step drill now - don't have one. As I finish up the saddle box today I will scope it out. I am getting closer to choosing lights - have it narrowed down to a bakers dozen right now. To get that far I had to double check mounting points and methods. My plus-nuts may come in handy again. I keep finding others that have done this on other brand RV forms. I have learned one thing - we are very lucky to have a place that GD participates in and as well managed. Hats off to the moderators

Keith

Comment

My skirting (lower trim piece) is aluminum, but it should be easy to do.
                            Hi Keith,
                            Duh . . . so is mine . . . I don't know where the "plastic" idea came from, but the step drill and these lights work just fine in the aluminum skirt.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Keith,
                              Duh . . . so is mine . . . I don't know where the "plastic" idea came from, but the step drill and these lights work just fine in the aluminum skirt.

Rob
                              Better see your doctor. You may have on-setting AAADD.........or CRS. Very serious

But in my case it is a Homer Moment DOH!!!! My Grandfather at 98 called it "Sometimes" Sometimes he remembered, sometimes he did not. He just got to meet new people and do new things every day and that made him happy.

AAADD - Age Activitaded Attention Deficit Disorder/... or CRS - Can't Remember Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X