Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best (good) wire crimper and crimp terminal selection to have in trailer tool box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best (good) wire crimper and crimp terminal selection to have in trailer tool box

So what am I up to now?

Was going through my electrical assortment (mostly junk - Harbor Freight). I needed to replace a connection on my meter. The butt connector wire pulled out of probe handle. Easy fix, grabbed another butt connector, striped wire and tried to crimp it well. My hand strength made it painful - ended up soldering (took off plastic cover and used heat shrink tubing on it). The crimper is a simple HF plier design. I probably need a ratcheting one?

So What is a good ratcheting crimper, and what brand (assortment) of connectors should I keep on hand? I am guessing I need 16-14 gauge selection with maybe a few 12 gauge too. A lot of folks talk about heat shrink water proof ones, but online they all seem to have a few bad reviews. Do they take a special crimper? Would this special crimper work on my cheep terminals? Is adhesive lined barrels important? I have looked up Morris Products, Panduit and Sta-kon, but not found them locally. What should I look for at HD, NAPA, Autosone, etc or even online? Amazon is very confusing on the kits.

Thanks for any advice - Thinking of my electrical wiring projects ahead.

Keith
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-05-2020, 08:10 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda
    Hi Keith,

Electrical connectors come with a lot of subtle differences even when they look basically the same. This is also true for crimping tool(s). The OE 12V connectors that you will find throughout the RV are "single crimp" (least expensive) available. More stringent wiring standards such as marine ABYC require double crimp connectors where both the wire and the insulation are fastened by the connector. Heat shrink terminals have only one crimp on the wire because the heat shrink to the wire insulation forms the second means of attachment between terminal and wire.

I am going to "borrow" and attach here an excellent summary of the different types of terminals from elecdirect.com . . . with full credit to where this information is from. This company is an excellent source for terminals and tools of all types. This is where I get most of the better quality terminals that I use although my tools pre-date finding this source. Also attached are close-up pictures of the "double crimp" jaws where you can see that for each size of electrical connector (red/blue/yellow) there is a carefully sized crimp for both the wire connection and the insulation connection. There are different jaws for different terminals. The ratcheting mechanism does not release until the terminal is properly crimped. No guessing whether you have squeezed the plier type of crimper enough or too much.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Lowes ships to store Capri Tools High Leverage Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper Model #CP20020
      It has the look of the longer handles like the pricier Sta-Kon ERG-2002 or Xcelite ErgoCrimp ECP-100.
      For my aging hands I find the longer handles give me more leverage and an easier crimp.

I was eyeballing the set Rob mentioned a month ago b/c it has wire ferrule jaws.
      Today saw Iwiss has a set similar.
      Last edited by gbkims; 08-06-2020, 12:11 PM.
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda
        Hi Keith,

Electrical connectors come with a lot of subtle differences even when they look basically the same. This is also true for crimping tool(s). The OE 12V connectors that you will find throughout the RV are "single crimp" (least expensive) available. More stringent wiring standards such as marine ABYC require double crimp connectors where both the wire and the insulation are fastened by the connector. Heat shrink terminals have only one crimp on the wire because the heat shrink to the wire insulation forms the second means of attachment between terminal and wire.

I am going to "borrow" and attach here an excellent summary of the different types of terminals from elecdirect.com . . . with full credit to where this information is from. This company is an excellent source for terminals and tools of all types. This is where I get most of the better quality terminals that I use although my tools pre-date finding this source. Also attached are close-up pictures of the "double crimp" jaws where you can see that for each size of electrical connector (red/blue/yellow) there is a carefully sized crimp for both the wire connection and the insulation connection. There are different jaws for different terminals. The ratcheting mechanism does not release until the terminal is properly crimped. No guessing whether you have squeezed the plier type of crimper enough or too much.

Rob
        How do you like your Pro Point set? If I may ask, where did you get it? In looking at everything out there it seems solid. There are look-a-llike brands out there. Do you know who makes the Pro Point and possibly the equivalent other brands? Not much info out there on the Pro Point folks.

Now hopefully I can be educated a bit. It appears I can get a better connection by using a double crimp and then sliding a bit of good heat shrink tubing over the connection. If I use the heat shrink fittings I get only one crimp. Using the tubing appear to be a bit cheaper and I can check the connection before covering. In the reviews a lot of crimpers have issues with heat shrink fittings - but that could be operator error. Thoughts? gbkims Gene please jump in here.

I would really like to get a set like Rob has to cover the range of connectors I might run into.

Thanks a million folks

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda
          Hi Keith,

ProPoint is the high end tool brand of a Canadian supplier. I don’t know how/where they might distribute in the US. I have several different ProPoint tools and all are top quality. I have boating friends who have purchased the crimp tools from ElecDirect and these tools are of similar quality.

Putting heat shrink over a double crimp connector is going to be difficult because of the significantly larger diameter of the connector insulation compared to the wire. A heat shrink connector is “top of the line”. The metal is crimped to the wire and the heat shrink (usually with hot melt glue) is a tight fit to the wire insulation. This is the connection preferred by ABYC which is the most stringent of all regulations.

I would not use a “double crimp” tool on a heat shrink connector. This could be the cause of the problems you have read about. The jaws intended to crimp the outer metal ring of a double crimp connector will damage and sometimes tear open the heat shrink tubing.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Keith,
            I'd haven't done a heat shrink connector in awhile, so I forgot how I crimped them.
            This site jogged my memory https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

It does take a different crimp jaw than double crimp for the heat shrink ones
            If I was buying now I'd try the Iwiss one(s).
            IWISS Ratchet Heat Shrink Connectors Crimping Tools from AWG22-10
            https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Ratchet.../dp/B07Q4MG4BW

IWISS 5 interchangeable Jaws Crimping tool kit with FREE Wire Striper&Cutter for Insulated and Non-Insulated Terminals 0.5-35mm ² Oxford bag packing
            https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimpin.../dp/B0195VXA10

Amazon has different named one for ProPoint https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9477-Pr.../dp/B0045CUMLQ

I like the 3M one I have for the crimpiing heat shrink connectors, but my jaw dropped when I saw the current price.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimp Tools - Sargent, 3M, Xcelite.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	26573

I've got a couple of Iwiss tools and their quality is good.
            SN-28B Dupont Crimper for auto connectors:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gbkims; 08-07-2020, 10:57 PM.
            Gene and Kim

Comment

The first link in post 6 by Gene gbkims is an excellent (if somewhat long) read containing everything you need to know about good and bad electrical connectors, the right and wrong way to crimp them and which tools are better than others. Good find Gene!

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

OK one more question. What dies sets do I really need?
                I found this vender out there - a bit pricey, but they carry quiet a few - they have a list of the die sets . They seem to be standard in identification in the industry,. I am trying to figure out what die(s) I should actually have for the typical electrical work. https://toolguyrepublic.com/collecti...mping-tool-die Their crimper is made by the same folks (Tiwan) that do the Pro Point, Iwiss, and others if you look at the tool and how the die set are held in place and where the tension wheel is located. I must admit the more I read the more I get confused.

Ill take a break and go bale hay. BTW I have not fully read this yet. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

Thanks - Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  OK one more question. What dies sets do I really need?
                  I found this vender out there - a bit pricey, but they carry quiet a few - they have a list of the die sets . They seem to be standard in identification in the industry,. I am trying to figure out what die(s) I should actually have for the typical electrical work. https://toolguyrepublic.com/collecti...mping-tool-die Their crimper is made by the same folks (Tiwan) that do the Pro Point, Iwiss, and others if you look at the tool and how the die set are held in place and where the tension wheel is located. I must admit the more I read the more I get confused.

Ill take a break and go bale hay. BTW I have not fully read this yet. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

Thanks - Keith
                  From the site: Interchangeable Ratcheting Terminal Crimper Set - 6 Die Sets Quick Change, with the dies: A, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5.
                  https://toolguyrepublic.com/collecti...s-quick-change

It's got what you'll use most.
                  Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

From the site: Interchangeable Ratcheting Terminal Crimper Set - 6 Die Sets Quick Change, with the dies: A, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5.
                    https://toolguyrepublic.com/collecti...s-quick-change

It's got what you'll use most.
                    Thanks Gene
                    I sent a bunch of emails to various other tool folks asking about who makes them etc. The set above is Taiwan - I talked to the importer - very nice folks. I found out, not mainland China. I asked questions about if dies are forged, cast, or milled etc. Very few replies so far. Capri did get back to me and I responded with more detail. I was asking what other dies are available. Lowe's was a waste of time with their customer support. Now for a laugh - in reading customer reviews I am finding a lot of interesting folks out there. After reading the https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/ I realized folks were not using the tools correctly - especially which side the terminal is set in the die and what side the wire should be on. If not done correctly the mess folks described happens. Anyway if anyone is curious I did find the Capri tools web site. www.capritools.com

Comment

I was checking my retired Jensen Tools bag.
                      Still have my nearly worn out Vaco 1963. And a Super Champ in the garage.
                      I see they're listed as vintage crimpers online now days.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by gbkims; 08-07-2020, 10:54 PM.
                      Gene and Kim

Comment

I've had a Klein crimp tool for close to 20+ years and have used it on commercial truck wiring in the construction industry, my own vehicles, and AC wiring when crimps were needed that I swear by.
                        Klein is a standard in the electrical industry, price is good for the quality! And you can find them at Home Depot & Lowes along with a number of other places that sell tools.
                        My preference is for a dedicated crimp, not a multi-purpose unit - there really is a difference in how they crimp.
                        Chris
                        2019 Solitude 3740BH
                        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Klien crimper made me think of all the crimps I saw at work that looked to be made by the Klien 1006. They had a distinctive dimple.
                          Thought I had a hand me down pair, but turns out it's a T&B WT.111-M Sta-Kon.
                          Gene and Kim

Comment

I looked at the Klien crimpers. They have a handle and interchangeable dies . What is strange I could not find a set or storage case and the die selection is limited (do have what I need) Their web site is not very user friendly - searched dies and got a bunch of other stuff. Also under retailers for their products as I looked through them not many carried the crimper line.

I sent them an email - will see if they respond.

BTW it appears the Klien design is what has been copied by others. It is good to know they are USA made.

Comment

Well I ordered this set. reviews were better on the other Iwiss sets with the same crimper. I believe it has the double crimp die included as well as single crimp for the heat shrink terminals same as the out of stock the other 5 piece IWISS set does. Price was fairly good too.
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The adjustment wheel is in the lower arm being better review wise with crimpers that have it on the upper arm. It is a very close copy if Kline and other pricey brands. Good thing I have a lot of junk HF terminals to practice on. That was noted in several discussions and videos - practice and do pull test.

It has the replaceable jaws and covers about 80% of the terminals I have in stock. The only die sets I may need are for my Flag terminals (they fit tighter spaces) I have an email into them, but I think the other crimper dies with the same type jaw dies like Jacko, etc will fit. It has been a long learning experience.

Now I would like to find a good terminal set with just the typical ones I use. Most I have looked at have a lot of pieces, and 90% I will never need. Maybe I just need to shop around for 12 to 25 packs and put my own set together. Some butt connectors, ring terminals, spade and flag terminals (did I miss any?) - I probably already have an empty box somewhere. I know Ancor brand is good - are there others? Does Home Depot or Ace hardware carry any good brands. I am trying to think of the local stores in my area that might carry them. I also have 2 electrical supply houses here - don't know if the carry 12v stuff. Any help is appreciated

Thanks as always
                              Keith

Now back to the LED light quest
                              Last edited by Yoda; 08-14-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X