Victron BMV-712 - Temperature Monitoring Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron BMV-712 - Temperature Monitoring Not Working

Just finished wiring temperature sensor as the drawing shows. Temperature doesn’t show on display on iPhone. Temperature display is turned on. Any suggestions?
    Rudy
    South Dakota
    2019 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Hi Rudy - Did you try scrolling on the screen? I have to do that to see mine.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
      Just finished wiring temperature sensor as the drawing shows. Temperature doesn’t show on display on iPhone. Temperature display is turned on. Any suggestions?
      The Auxiliary Input is set to "StARt" (for Starter Battery) instead of "tEMP" for the temperature sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AUx Setting.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	26377
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
        I was able to duplicate your display (didn't realize there was a setting in Victron Connect). Change it to Temperature and it will work!

Name:	Aux Input 1.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	26379

Name:	Aux Input 2.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	26380
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thank you Jim and Howson for your help. Temperature is working on my screen. Have a great day.
          Rudy
          South Dakota
          2019 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW
          2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Just returned from a 8 day trip of dry camping and the lithium system met my expectations, except for the battery temperature when charging. The battery is well within its normal temperature limits but when charging I commonly had seen temperatures at around 35F above ambient. Lithium batteries will exhibit maximum longevity if kept at temperature we ourselves find comfortable. For now I'll ventilate my marine style battery box where if this does not result in cooler charge operation, the next step will be to fabricate a battery box with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              ...the next step will be to fabricate a battery box with a thermostatically controlled fan.
              I've been considering that change, too, as I'm sure it is *hot* in the passthru where I've got the batteries. (I haven't monitored the specific temps, but I'm sure it is not ideal by any stretch.) There's little chance for airflow given how I have mine installed.

Will you direct air from inside the camper into the battery area or direct air out of the area into the camper? Or something different altogether?

Comment

Hi Howard,

With the battery in the passthrough we have some advantage in heating and cooling from the living area of the RV. But in dry camping, this is not happening since we sleep with windows open and rarely run the AC on a generator in the daytime. With the battery temp lagging slightly behind ambient it still gets the advantage of being a bit cooler than outside and there is no direct sunlight on the battery box. For my use, a ventilated box or a box with a fan that pulls in the cooler passthrough air should be enough. For folks with multiple batteries, I could see the benefit of pulling in outside air, through the battery box and back outside. Since we're measuring the battery temperature from the positive battery post, we may have cells in the middle of the stack that are running hotter. However, the BMS is there to protect the pack so we still have some redundancy where I did not see any shutdowns of the battery.

Jim

Comment

howson Howard,

Depending on the use and the demographics, I could see the use of some diverters to control the source of the incoming air. Not sure if there are relay functions in the BMV712 or other Victron products based on temperature. There may also be water/air cooled options if you need another project.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X