No announcement yet.

Transcend Xplor 260RB Hughes Autoformer 30A Surge Protector Hardwired version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend Xplor 260RB Hughes Autoformer 30A Surge Protector Hardwired version

Does anyone know how to access the shore power internally for a Transcend Xplor 260RB? I want to intall a Hughes Autoformer 30 Amp Bluetooth Surge Protector With Auto Shutoff – Hardwired version. Alternatively does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Transcend Xplor 260RB?

Originally posted by AtomicGecko View Post
    Does anyone know how to access the shore power internally for a Transcend Xplor 260RB? I want to intall a Hughes Autoformer 30 Amp Bluetooth Surge Protector With Auto Shutoff – Hardwired version. Alternatively does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Transcend Xplor 260RB?
    First, great choice in your username. "AtomicGecko"--lol.

To your specific question: I can surmise how it is wired based on a 2019 diagram I have access to view. (You can get a copy by calling GD Customer Service, provide your VIN, and ask for an "Electric Plan".) I'm not allowed to post it here or I would do so. (Sorry.)

The external power connection is at the rear, street side of your camper. The Power Distribution Center (PDC) panel is near the entry door beside the kitchen sink. What that means to me is there is a wire that runs under your floor (above the coroplast--the thin layer of material protecting the underbelly) from the power cord connection point to the PDC. If you unscrew the coroplast and peak underneath I bet you'll find that wire.

Mounting your Hughes internally looks like it will be a challenge. You'll have the kitchen slide mechanism to deal with if you're thinking under the floor. Sacrificing room in the cabinet next to the sink (where the DPC is) might be your only option.

Please update this thread with what you decide and how you execute this install. Future owners will be interested.

Again--welcome!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

First, great choice in your username. "AtomicGecko"--lol.

To your specific question: I can surmise how it is wired based on a 2019 diagram I have access to view. (You can get a copy by calling GD Customer Service, provide your VIN, and ask for an "Electric Plan".) I'm not allowed to post it here or I would do so. (Sorry.)

The external power connection is at the rear, street side of your camper. The Power Distribution Center (PDC) panel is near the entry door beside the kitchen sink. What that means to me is there is a wire that runs under your floor (above the coroplast--the thin layer of material protecting the underbelly) from the power cord connection point to the PDC. If you unscrew the coroplast and peak underneath I bet you'll find that wire.

Mounting your Hughes internally looks like it will be a challenge. You'll have the kitchen slide mechanism to deal with if you're thinking under the floor. Sacrificing room in the cabinet next to the sink (where the DPC is) might be your only option.

Please update this thread with what you decide and how you execute this install. Future owners will be interested.

Again--welcome!

Howard
      Awesome! Thank you for the advice/info. I will do some poking around this weekend and I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

Well I looked under the sink in the kitchen area and there is a blocked off section directly behind the PDC. However, there were no screws to get to it from that side. I'd have to remove the PDC (which is in the bedroom on the floor) to get behind it. Tight space to work. Then I looked in the bathroom under the sink there and low-and-behold there was open access to where the shore power comes in with enough line to make the connection and plenty of room to mount the surge protector. I've attached pictures for reference.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	RV1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	26494Click image for larger version

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	26495

Comment

I'll post more pictures one I get it installed.

Comment

I'll post more pictures one I get it installed.
            Fantastic! I'm surprised the cord is that high. Your documentation will help future owners, so thank you for taking the time to post.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The install was super easy. Here is a picture of the outside of the RV where the shore power comes in. On the inside of the trailer this comes in under the bathroom sink.

Name:	20200808_165401.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	26680Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_165357.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	26681
              There are only 4 screws that hold the receptacle on and a gasket underneath so no silicone to worry about. I unscrewed the receptacle and pulled it out. There was plenty of wire slack on the inside.

Name:	20200808_165652.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	26682
              The back shell of the receptacle unscrews to reveal 3 screws that the 10-2 Romex screw into. The picture below shows the back shell of the receptacle removed and laying on the seat of my truck.

Name:	20200808_170302.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	26683
              Next I attached a 2 ft piece of 10-2 Romex to the receptacle and screwed the back shell back on. The Romex that was left sticking out of the trailer after I removed the receptacle I pushed back through the hole. Then I took the receptacle with the 2 ft pigtail attached and pushed it through the hole where the receptacle was and screwed it back in place. I purchased the Romex at Home Depot. Smallest size the had was 15 ft. Cost was about $20.

Name:	20200808_170429 (1).jpg
Views:	473
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	26684Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_170910.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	26685

Comment

Next, I screwed the 2 ft pigtail coming from the receptacle to the top of the Power Watchdog. It was labeled "IN" and the lugs were marked "L", "N", and "G" for load, neutral, and ground respectively. Then the wire that was originally attached to the receptacle I screwed in to the bottom of the Power Watchdog. The bottom was labeled "OUT" and the lugs were marked "L", "N", and "G" for load, neutral, and ground respectively. Then I applied some 3M double sided mounting tape (about $8 at Home Depot) to the mounting brackets and stuck it to the wall where I wanted it. This kept it securely in place and then I attached the 4 mounting screws. Honestly the 3M tape (30lb stuff) was probably more than adequate to hold it without screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200809_155039.jpg Views:	47 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	26687Click image for larger version  Name:	20200809_155048.jpg Views:	22 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	26688
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20200809_160039.jpg Views:	22 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	26689
                At this point I was done. I reinstalled the "sorta" access panel and cleaned up. I didn't take a picture with the panel and the Watchdog installed but you can see where the panel was/is in the picture below ...behind the TP. The Power Watchdog is easily visible in the opening above the panel and the led that displays the codes is also easily visible. This ends up being a great location...easily accessible when it needs to be but completely out of the way. The Power Watchdog also can be monitored remotely with my phone. It pairs up via Bluetooth using the QR code on the device to ID the device.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	RV1.jpg Views:	22 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	26690
                Hope this help anyone looking to hard wire one of these in. Obviously this is specific to my 2020 Transcend Xplor 260RB. I also reached out Grand Design customer support and asked for an electrical schematic that helped in locating where things were and what would be the best place to locate it. Their response was super-fast and very helpful. So I'm sure they could help for other Grand Design RVs too.
                Last edited by AtomicGecko; 09-05-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I also reached out Grand Design customer support and asked for an electrical schematic that helped in locating where things were and what would be the best place to locate it. Their response was super-fast and very helpful. So I'm sure they could help for other Grand Design RVs too.
                  Fantastic write-up! Thank you so much for taking the time to document your install--I guarantee it will help someone else in the future.

May I make one small suggestion? Due to the location there's a potential for a water leak from the sink connection. Maybe install a "splash shield" over the top of the EMS so if there is a spray of water there's no chance of it penetrating through the top where the wire enters the device?

May be unnecessary...just a thought.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                  X