Battery Disconnect Switch: On or Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
    does anyone just remove the battery durning storage? I just parked mine in storage last week and shut off the battery switch and was in a hurry so I didn't remove the negative wire from the battery but if I'm going to get to the battery to do that I just as well bring it home and store in the basement so it won't freeze and re charge when I return in the spring.
    Removing and storing is not an unusual practice. I *think* that's what Rob used to do with his boat batteries. Cate&Rob ? I also seem to remember Rob writing that once fully charged, a battery tender (on a fully disconnected battery) is not required over the winter. Give it a recharge before reinstalling and it should be fine.

If any of that is wrong Rob will straighten it out.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

When I did not have inside storage I always removed the battery during long term storage and during winter. I kept the battery in the garage and kept a charger there and would rotate with my boat battery during the winter to keep both charged. Letting the battery sit for a long time it will discharge to a state too low for good battery life. There are lots of small chargers , Battery Tender comes to mind , that will keep your battery happy.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A fully charged and completely disconnected lead-acid battery will stay safely charged for months. The “self discharge” rate is less than 5% per month. Considerably less if the weather is below freezing. I always left my boat batteries fully charged, in place in the boat and completely disconnected. After 5 months of winter storage, each battery would still be above 80% state of charge . . . still well within the safe range.

There is nothing wrong with removing a battery for the winter and is wise if the condition of the battery is at all questionable. A fully charged battery will not freeze. A discharged one might freeze and could then split its case, spilling the acid.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

does anyone just remove the battery durning storage? I just parked mine in storage last week and shut off the battery switch and was in a hurry so I didn't remove the negative wire from the battery but if I'm going to get to the battery to do that I just as well bring it home and store in the basement so it won't freeze and re charge when I return in the spring.
          I take mine out at the end of each season and hook them up to the NOCO Genius charger once a month to top them up. Just so you know the battery switch turned off will still drain the battery as things like the propane detector and carbon monoxide detector still draw power from the battery with the GD installed switch off. You need to disconnect the cables so that these parasitic loads don't drain you battery over a couple of weeks and then have it freeze.

Another Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

There is another way to stop the parasitic draw on the battery. When I rewired my unit, I made sure all wiring went through the battery switch with the exception of the emergency break away trailer brakes. I lose any memory that is programmed into the entertainment center, but I'd rather have that happen than drain my batteries.

Jim
            Please give us some details on your rewiring. I've been wondering how difficult it would be to use the factory disconnect switch to be a "main" switch completely disconnecting everything and preventing parasitic drain. I don't have a schematic on my trailer and have not tried to trace the wiring on the installed disconnect switch, so this is still in the "could it be done" phase.

2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              Please give us some details on your rewiring. I've been wondering how difficult it would be to use the factory disconnect switch to be a "main" switch completely disconnecting everything and preventing parasitic drain. I don't have a schematic on my trailer and have not tried to trace the wiring on the installed disconnect switch, so this is still in the "could it be done" phase.
              Jim, TucsonJim, contributed to a detailed thread on the topic of 12v wiring. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oem-12v-wiring

I want to emphasize that Jim noted he left the emergency brake as originally wired. There's no parasitic draw from that circuit. Not having the emergency brake (switch is inadvertently turned off and there's a situation were the brakes are needed) would be bad. Really bad.

As you'll see in the schematics in the linked thread, I have two shutoffs. Both are Blue Sea switches (similar to the example shown below) not the OEM. The Blue Sea must be deliberately switched on and off, unlike the OEM provided switch which is easily bumped (cargo hitting it) in the passthru on a trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Sea.JPG
Views:	1578
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	34861
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

headed out to the storage unit and it started to snow so hard that I turened around, may get there tomorrow. I will remove the battery if I can figure out how to get to it in the 29RS.

Comment

headed out to the storage unit and it started to snow so hard that I turened around, may get there tomorrow. I will remove the battery if I can figure out how to get to it in the 29RS.
                  Your battery will be in the front storage on the right side floor. The lid should be screwed down with #2 Roberts screws so you will need the driver for those. You will also need a 7/16" wrench for the battery terminals , I think that is the correct size. Please undo the negative first , this helps with keeping the sparks down if you touch the wrench to the chassis while undoing the positive , trust me on that.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just got my 2020 Imagine XLS back from being winterized. When i got it home and parked it on the pad I hooked up the 30AMP service I have for it. I went in the trailer and there was a loud humming coming from what I am sure is the fuse panel, located on the floor in the bedroom area. The noise would decrease when I turned the main light switch off,
                    This never happened prior to getting it winterized.
                    I went and turned the battery disconnect off and the noise stopped. I
                    I have always left my trailers plugged in when parked at home, to keep the refrigerator going and the battery charged. If I have the disconnect turned off, my battery wont charge and will freeze here in the Montana winter. I don't wish to have to have to remove the battery, which is one of the reasons I put the 30AMP service in.
                    Any thoughts?
                    Thanks
                    Ron

2020 Imagine XLS
                    2014 GMC 1500 Sierra SLT-2

Comment

removed the battery today and placed wood under the tires, glad I purchased the 6000 lb jack Got home and put my charger on the battery and it took about 2 minutes before ir was at full charge. Going to rehook every month and keep it warm until spring.

Comment

To expand on the question. With battery disconnect on and generator running is the battery charging? No shore power.
                        2021 Momentum 381M.
                        2021 Momentum 381M-R
                        2012 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Kmac View Post
                          To expand on the question. With battery disconnect on and generator running is the battery charging? No shore power.
                          2021 Momentum 381M.
                          I would have to say yes the battery will be charged in that state , but , I would check that the battery is actually receiving a charge just to be on the safe side.

The whole battery disconnect "on or off" has always confused me in that terminology. If the red handle is pushed in and then turned to the right and the handle can not be removed then battery power is being supplied. If the handle can be removed then the battery is "disconnected" although there will still be some items that draw power.

It is also possible that one unit can be wired different than another so that is why I would suggest to check yours to make sure. Please let us know what you find.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            The whole battery disconnect "on or off" has always confused me in that terminology.
                            Me too, Brian!

So I did some research. The switch's part number, 430043 : SWITCH BATTERY DISCONNECT BLACK SIGMSW SP0179-15-A0306, points to it being a Sigma part, but it's not listed on their website https://www.sigmaswitches.com/index.html

Their website did mention a "sister company" at https://www.destinprod.com/ but while they have interesting items it did not have the shutoff.

So...I'm going with when "ON" battery power is applied to all of the camper's 12v circuits. When "OFF" battery power to the Convenience Center panel (and thus converter, too) is disconnected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect.JPG
Views:	1508
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	35843

Howard

Comment

I've decided to install a separate battery cut off switch and I'm ordering a new battery cable. My rig is elsewhere, so to save me a trip to storage, can anyone confirm that the lug size to the positive cable is 5/16? Also, that the correct wire is 6 gauge. Thanks, 2021 Reflection 31 MB
                              2021 Reflection MB 31
                              Ford F-250 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel B & W Slider

Comment

Working...
                              X