LED backup and side lights install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED backup and side lights install

OK folks - light scame and I have tested to see if the work - they do.
    I will be using separate relays for each set of lights. This is the relay I am using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gene was kind enough to provide the following wiring diagram so the lights can be activated by the trucks reverse circuit, or power by the trailer battery separately.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LEDs via SPDT ON-OFF-ON.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	27257

gbkims
    If I understand correctly the second set of lights would be wired the same.

Gene - Question, 87a (center relay pin) is not used correct? It appears to be hot in common with pin 30? Could it be wired to pin 30 on the other relay to provide the power? On edit - after finding and looking at the relay diagram on my relay this wont work. 87a is just not used in my setup.

Wiring - I have a secondary fuse block available that I installed for my CPAP. I plan to install the relays to the right of it on the other side of the shelf support.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0369s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.3 KB ID:	28040
    The wiring feeding it is 10 gauge. Top yellow wire is ground (4 spaces available) and red is 12v (4 spaces available) The protective cover has been removed in the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0370s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	28041
    Below the circuit box, the yellow ground wire is attached to trailer frame. The hot red 12V wire is tapped on the GD buss bar. In looking at this maybe I should have a 50 amp fuse in the primary power line down by the bus bar

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0371s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	28042
    Primary wire used in circuit panel install.

Light wiring
    Grounding - is it OK to ground the lights to the trailer frame, or would I be better off bring the ground back to the power panel

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0372s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.6 KB ID:	28043

I will be wiring the lights with 12 AWG as it is what I have plenty of, Wiring will be hidden in the belly where possible.

Thoughts on my planning so far?

Tomorrow I need to fabricate some light mounts, and prep for the switch install in the basement.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-27-2020, 05:37 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda Keith,

Really looking forward to those night pics! This is something I'm very interested in doing after retirement.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      If I understand correctly the second set of lights would be wired the same.

Grounding - is it OK to ground the lights to the trailer frame, or would I be better off bring the ground back to the power panel
      Keith

Yes 2nd set of lights a duplicate(switch and relay) of the rear lights.
      Grounding to trailer frame should be good. Standard practice in automobiles I think.
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Keith

Grounding to the frame will be ok , but a direct ground to the battery will eliminate any future grounding issues , corrosion or loose connection to the frame.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Keith

Yes 2nd set of lights a duplicate(switch and relay) of the rear lights.
          Grounding to trailer frame should be good. Standard practice in automobiles I think.
          Gene,

Yes ground to chassis is common in autos where today Auto's have a significant number of chassis grounds.

Jim

Comment

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing! We had a 32' bumper pull for 6 years and had added backup lights to it. Used the exact same concept you are using Yoda. Same relay from Amazon. Only difference is I ran all the wiring to the back of the TT and installed the relay there. Would not do that again. We just purchased a new Solitude in July and I am already adding backup lights to it. As the Solitude has a hitch welded to the back from the factory, I purchased 2 brackets off of Amazon, attached the lights, and bolted the brackets to the cross tube. I can postion the lights anywhere along the length of the cross tube. I am going to place the relay in the front this time somewhere next to the area for the generator. I will also run a ground wire, and the hot wire from the relay, to the lights thru pvc electrical conduit the length of the frame. I used the conduit on my last install and didn't regret it. It's a lot more work, but it's a cleaner install and gives me the ability to quickly run more wires in the future if necessary.
            Jon & Melanie Nichols
            Dover, DE
            2019 Solitude 372WB-R
            2023 GMC

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Gene,

Yes ground to chassis is common in autos where today Auto's have a significant number of chassis grounds.

Jim
              Jim,

I'll say a significant number. Last month I'd read some about grounding in vehicles https://www.w8ji.com/negative_lead_to_battery.htm
              So I wanted to see how many ground points were on my truck.
              I used alldatadiy and found 20 main ground locations where numerous grounds land.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Jim,

I'll say a significant number. Last month I'd read some about grounding in vehicles https://www.w8ji.com/negative_lead_to_battery.htm
                So I wanted to see how many ground points were on my truck.
                I used alldatadiy and found 20 main ground locations where numerous grounds land.
                Gene,

And this can be an issue. Lol. If there is an issue with a component, we (our techs) will look at the ground that is utilized and will look to check that its intact.

For the back yard mechanic, this would be a daunting task today without documentation.

Jim

Comment

Update - making progress, Switches are wired and circuits work correctly. Found a way from the front bay to the belly (where GD runs their wires - look below buss bar). Got loom's made up and pulled through. Fabricated a couple of mounts and got lights mounted today. Ill try and post pictures tonight, but right now I need a cold ice tea and put my feet up.

I wont tell you how many times I whacked my head working up front, both on the overhang and door frame. I finally put my hat on, but that did not help much. I used a small stool to sit on and it put the top of my head in perfect alignment of the top door frame and of course there was a sharp screw right where I needed to lean in. Next thing I need to learn is how to steer my creeper on my slanted drive - seemed to have a mind of it own.

More later
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OK now to the how to (or not to) pictures
                    First the relays - after reading the diagram on the relay I figures out what wires do what.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377s.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	28448 So color coding for this relay is as follows, Yellow center is not used. White (ground) and black wire are for coil(black get signal from switch). Red is power in (this is energized by coil), and blue is power out to lights. Source https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG_0380s.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	28449 Relays wired in beside my existing fuse block from my CPAP power install. Blue wire is power to lights.

Now to the switches and wiring to the relays.
                    Switch source - https://spemco.com/
                    VME-01 V Series Rocker Switch Gangable Black Mounting Panel, End VME-01 need 2
                    VVAZC00-000 Carling Contura 2 Hard Black Actuator, no lens VVAZC00-000 need 2
                    V6D1S00B Carling V series single pole rocker switch, On-Off-On, no lamps, spade terminals V6D1S00B-00000-000 need 2

Name:	IMG_0391s.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	28450
                    Switches are already mounted in the housing. Wiring - Yellow is truck reverse source to activate relay and Red is RV source to activate relay. Jumper provides sam epower source to second switch. Center connection back to relay not attached yet. But I got ahead of myself a bit.

Comment

Loom is as follows: www.delcity.net I ordered the following; High-Temp Split Loom, 3/8"

I decided to place the switches just inside the curb side pass through door
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0385s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.3 KB ID:	28452
                      Tape makes it easy to do a layout. Behind the wall is the furnace - plenty of clearance. I was also aware of the wiring form the power and coax boxes that are visible at the bottom of the photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0386s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	28453
                      After determining where I wanted the switch box, I first cut back the fabric - taping back the edges, I then retraced the switch box hole. and drilled holes at each corner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0387s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	28454
                      I used my Fien multi-tool to do the rough cut, and fin trim with the exacto knife. I tried to do everything without pulling the wall panel off,, but no luck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0392s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	28455 In the end to get the LED indicator lights in I had to bring the panel down. While down I decided to secure the wiring mess with my 3M stick pads and zip ties. You will notice I folded the surface fabric back through the switch box hole for a clean appearance on the outside. There is a caution note. Be sure of your placement before inserting switches in the box and the box in the wall as they are a bear to get out without the proper tool.

Comment

Wiring an loom runs, I spent quiet a while determining how many looms I needed and what wire should be in them.

Name:	IMG_0393s.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	28460
                        The lower loom has the reverse power and RV power wires. The upper loom has the wires that activate the coil (red and black for side and rear lights) and a white ground wire for the LED indicator lights.

Reverse wire running

Name:	IMG_0374s.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	28461
                        I first fished loom and yellow wire from front compartment to hitch location.

Name:	IMG_0378s.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	28462
                        I found a path from the overhang belly into the hitch area (loom with red band has reverse wire inside.

Name:	IMG_0379s.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	28463
                        I opened one of the knock outs and installed a fitting that I ran the loom through and tied into the existing yellow reverse wire that was not used by GD. I stil need to verify this works and I also need to foam the fitting to make water tight, but the existing junction box is not. Down the road I will straighten the mess out when I get my new plug and box installed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG_0384s.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	28464
                        Inside the front compartment I ran the loom with the reverse wire to the curb side and then towards the switch location.

Comment

Now the fun began

Name:	IMG_0383s.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	28470 Reverse line is on the left going through the front wall of the pass through and on the right is the red/black/ and white wires from the relays to the switches. Not shown is the red power wire that I slipped into the reverse loom going forward. You can sorta make out that Y connection in the upper left corner.

Name:	IMG_0382s.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	28471
                          I then ran these looms over to the relays, tying them up out of the way. Note to self - the stick on pads dont stick to dusty paint, so clean all surfaces before you do this.

Meanwhile inside the pass through area.

Name:	IMG_0388s.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	28472 Looms for front compartment grouped together and then running forward to the switches.

Name:	IMG_0394s.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	28473

Cover plate is found here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG_0395s.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	28474

Cover plate lifts up for easy access. LED's are on indicating I have power out on the RV side of the switch. I will test later the reverse side. Now I did run into a problem.The blue see fuse block I got for my CPAP install has 2 defective power circuits at the top 2 fuse locations. I discovered this when checking the power out to lights side of the relay. I had then powered separately, but to fix the problem I used a jumper and I am running both lights off of one 15 amp fuse now.

Next up is running the looms and powering up the lights - oops I forgot to show where I installed the lights.

Comment

OK where to put the lights?
                            For the side cast lights I mounted to the frame under the propane tanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0403s.jpg Views:	49 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	28481 I know it is out of focus, but it is fairly protected here. I had already fished the loom over from the street side. In this location any upward glare should be cut off. If this does not work I can move out to the side more and mount to the propane tank frame. BTW - getting the propane tanks in and out and is a pain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0404s.jpg Views:	37 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	28482 The rear light gave me some push back. I first wanted to mount to the L bracket my storage tube is mounted too. You can see the hole. Unfortunately there was not enough clearance behind the light due to the U bolt contacting the back of the light fins. I could have cut them away but decided to go with plan B. I had some 3"x3" aluminum left over from my saddle box repair, so I use it to mount the light to the receiver hitch frame. I drilled and tapped the back holes to hold the bracket (4 - 3/8" bolts). Other side is the same. I had run the loom wire around at this point to get rough measurement of length needed.

Now you probably wondering how I got the wires run from the front compartment to the RV belly area. It was actually fairly simple once I realized what GD did with their wiring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0398s.jpg Views:	37 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	28483 Just below the buss bar I found a bunch of wires disappearing into a mess of foam. I undid some of the belly covering and found where they came through. In this picture I had already pulled one loom through and was preparing to pull the second. You can see the wire I was using to fish the loom through in the lower right corner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0400s.jpg Views:	37 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	28484 On the belly side you can see I came out beside the factory loom. Strange GD did not bother to keep the wires inside - just let them fall where they may. However I discovered a bigger safety issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0402s.jpg Views:	37 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	28485

Instead of carrying the big loom another 4 inches they left their wires in contact with the rough edges of the hole in the first cross member. While not in the photo there is some minor chafing on some of the wires. Hopefully GD will read this and maybe double check their assembly . I will fix this with a rubber grommet when I run my loom through here and make sure the existing wires are taped up through the opening. I may cut off the unused piece of large loom and reuse it.

Well that's it for now. Time to get out and run wires and tie in the lights.

Any Questions?
                            Keith

Last edited by Yoda; 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

First test last night of side illumination.

Name:	IMG_0406s.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	28786 Left side. There is zero upward glare. Center of pattern appears to be top center of tire

Name:	IMG_0407s.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	28787 Right side. I think I need to adjust this one up and in a bit.

Now to get the rear ones wired in.

Comment

Working...
                              X