2017 Imagine 2800BH USB Ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Imagine 2800BH USB Ports?

While doing my research on adding USB ports to my camper, I found this on the parts lookup for my model camper:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/25170

Does grand design list parts for campers that may not actually be in your camper? Or is there a USB port already in my camper, and I'm just too blind to find it?

**Update**
    Last edited by mpking; 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

It may have been added after your trailer was made. If yours was built before June or July they may have made a change later in the year, they have also made changes at different times right in the middle of a run of units. If it is in your unit it should not be in a hidden place.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
      While doing my research on adding USB ports to my camper, I found this on the parts lookup for my model camper:

Does grand design list parts for campers that may not actually be in your camper? Or is there a USB port already in my camper, and I'm just too blind to find it?
      The original ports installed by GD are low power. TucsonJim and others have put fancy high-power replacement units in their campers. This is a good thread on the topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-usb-chargers
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson , So what's the board etiquette here?

Continue the discussion in that thread? (Other forums I'm in discourage this, they don't like zombie/thread jacking)
        Continue here? (Other forums, they like to keep the number of redundant threads small).

I have a bunch of information to contribute, but I'm still in the exploratory stage. (I've spent about the last 4 hours researching various USB design, and I've even worked backwards from GD's source supplier)
        Mike

Comment

howson , So what's the board etiquette here?

Continue the discussion in that thread? (Other forums I'm in discourage this, they don't like zombie/thread jacking)
          Continue here? (Other forums, they like to keep the number of redundant threads small).

I have a bunch of information to contribute, but I'm still in the exploratory stage. (I've spent about the last 4 hours researching various USB design, and I've even worked backwards from GD's source supplier)
          Let's keep it here--others can go read the other thread if they are interested in the other discussion.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

In my 2020 2600rb I have 2 charging stations. I replaced them with Qualcomm v3 turbo charging ports. (I have Qualcomm enabled phones). Even without Qualcomm enabled phones they are still fast chargers. As a bonus they have a voltage display which I trust more than the GD voltage display on the control panel.

They were a direct replacement but were a bit deep to fit flush in the skinny walls. I came up with a thick mounting plate. If you're interested in the install details just search under my user name for the install thread.

Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
              In my 2020 2600rb I have 2 charging stations. I replaced them with Qualcomm v3 turbo charging ports. (I have Qualcomm enabled phones). Even without Qualcomm enabled phones they are still fast chargers. As a bonus they have a voltage display which I trust more than the GD voltage display on the control panel.

They were a direct replacement but were a bit deep to fit flush in the skinny walls. I came up with a thick mounting plate. If you're interested in the install details just search under my user name for the install thread.

Do you have a picture where you have it in the divider wall? The one in your thread (I found it) just has a close up. I'm trying to picture where you put it. (I don't have ANYTHING there, so it might be too hard to run wiring to it for me.)
              Mike

Comment

Do you have a picture where you have it in the divider wall? The one in your thread (I found it) just has a close up. I'm trying to picture where you put it. (I don't have ANYTHING there, so it might be too hard to run wiring to it for me.)

This is a little better picture. About 4" down from the top and 6" in from the outside edge. It's on the couch side of the divider. There is framing in that wall so you can't install it too close to the edges. Mine had GD USB ports in that location so I used the same hole and same wire. My 2600rb has the dinette with bench/storage. It might be possible to fish wires in from inside the bench/storage.

Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Let's keep it here--others can go read the other thread if they are interested in the other discussion.
                  Sorry about this, but this sorta became a running conversation in my head, with original research happening as I'm posting it. It got very long.

Here's the bedroom I'm working with. Lights over the bed are the only sources of 12V in the bedroom (Identical light on left side of bed). The box on the bottom is the top side of the passthrough storage. Ignore the hanging light, i was researching.

Some requirements:
                  • I want to add two seperate USB stations to this area, one on each side of the bed.
                  • Overhead is fine, but not desirable.
                  • Ideally It'd be down at the bed level
                  • Lights should be kept to a minimum, since this is where we sleep. (In the cubby next to the radio, lights are actually desirable, cause "it looks cool")

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-04 09_31_10-Window.png
Views:	690
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	28679

Finding Parts

Starting with the Grand design model I linked to, I traced the model number back to Sigma Switches. https://www.sigmaswitches.com/
                  This is their complete line:
                  https://www.sigmaswitches.com/PDFs/u...ng_centers.pdf

Grand Design appeared to use the SP0192-15-A0311, which is 2.4amps shared across both outlets.

SIgma ALSO has the the SP0192-15-A0312, which is 2.4 amps PER port, or 4.8 total. (Also mentions Rapid Charge, but I'm sure that just means the 2.4 Amps, not any specific advanced charging protocol, like QC3) (Not going to post a photo, since it's identical in appearance to the 311 model.

Sigma ALSO has a Wireless QC popup charger:
                  https://www.sigmaswitches.com/PDFs/W...s_by_SIGMA.pdf

Name:	2020-09-04 08_54_17-Clipboard.png
Views:	1097
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	28677

This specifically mentions QC (Albeit QC2, not QC3 or 4, so not the latest and greatest.) It's pretty cool looking. You could even mount it vertical, and it would be like a pop out charger.

So the SP0192-15-A0312 is 1.5 inches deep, and the wireless is 1.9 inches deep.

Unfortunately, none of this supports QC 3.0, or USB C PD (Which is probably the future)

Back to the bedroom, I measured the void next to my lights, and it's only 7/8ths of an inch deep. Not deep enough to accept ANYthing that isn't surface mount. I can probably run wires through it however, but it might be tricky to go from the void into the wardrobe. Talk about precision drilling.

I can however, also access the 12V in the Passthrough storage, and pass it UP from there into the bedroom.

Technology Generation
                  So one of the biggest things I struggled with is Technology Generation.

Straight USB .5amp is the original standard.
                  It was updated 2.1amps in a later standard.
                  Both of these use standard USB A ports. Very common, practically everything can / can be made to support this.

Quick Charging
                  QC3, and USB PD are the charging standards out there. QC3 uses USB A connectors, and is backwards compatible
                  USB PD uses USB C ports.
                  Both PD and QC do similar things. QC is proprietary, and only works with phones that have Qualcomm chipsets, and USB PD is the USB Standard implementation.

USB C panel mounts seem, half baked at best. Many complaints, (Some of the requiring 24v to fully function).

Putting it all together, I'd op for a QC 3.0 device, in a standard panel mount size. This should make it easy to replace at a later date when USB C chargers have better quality, since it's just unscrew the panel mount, and replace it. Assuming I still have the camper when that happens. (I went through this 3 years ago when I did my last camper, and USB C wasn't even available in a panel mount at the time)

But the wireless one is attractive to me as well (and QC2 vs 3 isn't a huge deal)

Current Thoughts

Looking for suggestions / comments.

So now I'm leaning towards tapping the power from the storage compartment. I think it's an easier approach, with a cleaner look. It should enter the bedroom underneath the pull out drawer (removed in my above picture)

From there, I can either go directly through the wardrobe wall and mount a unit like ckreef pointing towards the bed (I'd have to find one without a light.) I'll call this a Standard Panel Mount.

Another option is drill thru the "box" covering the storage unit, and install the wireless charging pad from above. (The wiring would be exposed below in the storage unit, but would not protrude very deep. I could box it from underneath to protect it). I could also put Standard Panel Mount there pointing up. Only problem is opening the drawer will most likely hit anything I plug in there, or knock it off if it's wireless

I could also go down a bit to the front of the box, but that makes the wiring underneath more difficult. I can't seem to figure a way to get the panels out in the passthrough storage without breaking them. (They are all stapled)

I could also come up UNDER the bed, and have the outlet come thru the bed frame to face the walkway near the floor (This might mitigate the light, since almost EVERY charger I've found has a blue light on it)

Some random parts I found, while doing this research, but didn't fit my narrative above:

A Panel Mount plate so it can be a screw in. (This is from Sigma Switches, but other companies make it too)

Name:	2020-09-04 09_08_19-Clipboard.png
Views:	605
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	28678

A USB C Panel mount
                  https://www.adafruit.com/product/421...4aAnt3EALw_wcB
                  I originally thought if I couldn't find a USB C charger without a light, I could bury it behind the drawer, and just have this cable mounted on the outside of the wardrobe.
                  Mike

Comment

mpking -- do any of these USB ports consume power when nothing is connected? Typically these are described as "parasitic" draws from the battery on this forum.

Have you seen these options? https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

I agree that the blue lights are a "non starter" in the bedroom.

Comment

mpking -- just found the answer to my own question! It's "yes" to the parasitic draw. Might be something to consider when choosing.

Name:	draw.PNG
Views:	652
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	28683

Comment

I have considered this. I was considering putting a larger panel (Smaller than what TucsonJim has, maybe just 2 holes) with an on/off switch.

Another option is to choose one with an integrated switch:

https://www.amazon.com/Charge-Charge...dp/B082PNLMDS/

Name:	2020-09-04 11_47_03-Window.png
Views:	830
Size:	754.7 KB
ID:	28695

Attached Files
                        Mike

Comment

I have considered this. I was considering putting a larger panel (Smaller than what TucsonJim has, maybe just 2 holes) with an on/off switch.

Another option is to choose one with an integrated switch:
                          If I'm interpreting the wording correctly, turning off the blue light turns off ALL output from the ports. So to charge the phone the light must be on?

For the bedroom, the Blue Sea offerings look like a viable option (no lights at all). If it was in the living area, the Powerwerx with the dim blue backlighting is appealing. Powerwerk's voltage indicators are kind of cool, too, but with the BMV-712 having yet another battery display would be redundant and unnecessary.

No "right" or "wrong"--just lots of options.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If I'm interpreting the wording correctly, turning off the blue light turns off ALL output from the ports. So to charge the phone the light must be on?

For the bedroom, the Blue Sea offerings look like a viable option (no lights at all). If it was in the living area, the Powerwerx with the dim blue backlighting is appealing. Powerwerk's voltage indicators are kind of cool, too, but with the BMV-712 having yet another battery display would be redundant and unnecessary.

No "right" or "wrong"--just lots of options.
                            Tell me about it... So.... Many..... Options.....

Yes, the switch kills the entire thing, lights and charging. Not ideal. But it was in response to the parasitic draw, not the light. The light I was going to mitigate by moving to under the bed, so i'd have cool "floor lighting" (Hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature!)

Just found this one. Might be my new favorite.

QC 3.0. No light (which means no parasitic draw, which since I boondock, is ALWAYS a concern)

https://www.amazon.com/USMEI-Waterpr...dp/B07QZZP2PT/

howson Do you have the 2017 Imagine Wiring sheet? I know (based on other threads) that it doesn't have the level of detail that most people want, but any and all information can't hurt when planning. (theroectically it should tell me what's on the circuit, right?)

Also, what's your take on fusing? The light in the Storage compartment is already fused. Should I insert a second fuse between this USB device and the point I tap the power? I'm thinking no, but wanted an 2nd opinion.
                            Mike

Comment

Just found this one. Might be my new favorite. QC 3.0. No light (which means no parasitic draw, which since I boondock, is ALWAYS a concern)
                              That looks perfect!

howson Do you have the 2017 Imagine Wiring sheet? I know (based on other threads) that it doesn't have the level of detail that most people want, but any and all information can't hurt when planning. (theroectically it should tell me what's on the circuit, right?)
                              I do, but I would not trust the "Electrical Plan" drawing. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out (in the circuit you're going to tap) and then isolate what doesn't work. Map out all of your 12v circuits in that manner.

I recently bought a tester (I forget who recommended it) to find parasitic draws (I haven't played with this new toy yet!).

Name:	Fuse buddy.PNG
Views:	672
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	28708

Also, what's your take on fusing? The light in the Storage compartment is already fused. Should I insert a second fuse between this USB device and the point I tap the power? I'm thinking no, but wanted an 2nd opinion.
                              I'm thinking "no", too, since the circuit is already protected. But I'm not an electrician. Hopefully other experienced folks will chime in. TucsonJim gbkims Jkwilson and many others--what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X