Convenience Center / Control Panel Fuse Blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Excellent write-up and pictures, Phil--thank you! I'm going to post a copy of post #13 (with the slight change of embedding the pictures instead of attaching them). I'm sure this is going to help someone in the future.

GDRV-Megan -- might want to pass along post #13 as feedback to the Reflection factory folks and also to the Customer Service team so they know how to advise customers that may call in with the same problem.
    Better yet - how about a change in production process to prevent the issue from happening in the first place. This would not seem to challenging for the GDRV team.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

tinyphil thanks so much for this detailed write-up! I have passed this along to our team.

Comment

I did more research on the cause of the failure in my 5th wheel trailer. I found that the 3 rollers on the foot of the bed slide were loose and allowed the foot end of the bed slide to drag across the carpet. As the bedroom slide moved in and out it eventually caused the wires under the bedroom slide to become exposed. The exposed wires caused the 7.5 amp fuse to blow. The 3 rollers are attached to the foot end of the bedroom slide using 2 wood screw each. Over time the screws backed out of the wood frame of the bed and allowed the foot end of the bed slide to drag on the floor. To fix the problem I drilled a 1/4" hole through the bed frame and attached the rollers with a 1/4" bolt and nyloc nut. This should prevent the rollers from becoming loose in the future.

Phil

Comment

I have a 2021 Reflection 337RLS. We've had it for 2 months now and on our way home from a 4 week shake-down trip, we stopped at a campground for a last couple of nights. When we went to bed the 1st night there, we found that both reading lights over the bed no longer worked. The LED lights 'under' the slideout still worked. The overhead lights also still worked. Once I got home I raised the bed and removed the plywood platform, immediately revealing the problem. There were 2 exposed wires sticking up with no wiring connector in sight. It was quite obvious that the motion of the bedroom slide had pulled the connector off the two wires rendering the lights inoperable. I found the connector further underneath the slide behind the partition. The 4 wires under the plywood are zip-tied together and the zip-tie screwed into the floor. Four wires and four connectors bundled together make too big of a bundle to be able to 'squeeze' under the slide partition, so I reconnected the loose wires and separately wrapped all connectors and wires with electrical tape. I then spread the bundle out so that each wire pair and associated connector lie flat on the floor and screwed the zip-tie back down. I ran the slide in and out several times to make sure that the wires and connectors no longer touched the slide partition as it moved over them. Of course this repair only revealed another quality-control issue I'll discuss in the 'Interior' section dealing with the slide rollers.
          Ricky & Tresa
          2021 Reflection 337RLS
          2007 Ford F350 SRW
          The Girls (cats) Gracie, Annie, & Gypsy

Comment

tinyphil you saved my tail sir!! Had our 337rls in the shop for 3 months for a brake issue, got it out and had that control center fuse blow. Saw your pictures so we pulled our bed floor and found the exact same problem. I think I may have overloaded the storage under the bed and that contributed to the roller wheels pulling their mounts out. Thank you for the tips, probably saved me several hundred dollars!

Comment

Well, I been having this problem of the control center fuse blowing for some time. It would go months without it blowing the fuse. Saw a post on FB about it, and they said the same thing. The wires under the bed were the problem. I’d checked the wires three different times and couldn’t fine anything wrong. So this week it was blowing the fuse all the time. So I was going to trace the wiring all the way back to the fuse panel. I took all the stuff out of the pass thru and removed the panels. Started tracing the wires, and was on the wires from the switch for the blue lights under the bedroom slide-out on the nautilus water panel, and saw that those wires also feed the light that is above the Nautilus panel. The wires to the light was run over the Nautilus panel and the black wire insulation was worn thru. Taped up the wire and added a protective cover over the top of the edge of the panel. So the fuse has not blown all day, so I hope that was the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	88D8DA4A-EFCB-425C-960C-26E6EDFAD166.jpeg
Views:	670
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	86360 Click image for larger version

Name:	B9F89F48-B51B-441D-9FF2-877982ED11DB.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	86361 Click image for larger version

Name:	F86B8D85-A059-4009-96E4-05F0E8F5E6C3.jpeg
Views:	541
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	86362
              Bob Beach
              2916 Reflection 318RST

Comment

Originally posted by REB1 View Post
                So the fuse has not blown all day, so I hope that was the problem.
                Outstanding first post! Thank you--very informative. Please take a moment and fill in your signature line as mentioned in the Welcome Letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by tinyphil View Post
                  I found the cause of the blown 7.5 amp fuse labeled Power Center. The attached photos show the location of the short causing the fuse to blow. The wires are located under the bedroom slide. The wires are the power wires for the bedroom slide reading lights and for the blue lights located on the underside of the bedroom slide. The movement of the slide being extended and retracted caused the wires to be exposed at the point where they are staked to the bedroom floor.. i would have thought that Grand Design could have found a better way to run these wires. I wonder how many other 5th wheel trailers have had this problem.

Phil
                  We are having the same problem
                  they tried to replace our 7.5 fuse with a 15 and it blew as well. Camping world techs have no answers. They are thinking if they replace the control panel everything will work. Our bedroom lights on the slide do not work along with our switch for water heater. Thanks for this information and hopefully we can finally get these problems fixed.

Comment

Mslawson57 -- please follow up with us if the bedroom wires are indeed the problem.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I had the same problem described above. Noticed my blue lights hadn't been working for awhile. Was cleaning black tank and pressed button to see fill level and center went dead.

Pulled the false bottom from under bed storage and saw wires strapped to the floor. 2 of the connectors pulled apart and must have made contact. I redid the connections and made a notch on the bottom of the bed frame to give more room.

This got me scratching my head. Why does this wire need to be there. There is room on the other side of the frame where I could see slide motor wires....hmmmm
                      2018 337RLS
                      720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                      disc brakes, ems

Comment

Does anyone have a diagram, pictures or a drawing of how the wires get reconnected under the bed 2021 337 RLS?

Comment

Originally posted by tinyphil View Post
                          I found the cause of the blown 7.5 amp fuse labeled Power Center. The attached photos show the location of the short causing the fuse to blow. The wires are located under the bedroom slide. The wires are the power wires for the bedroom slide reading lights and for the blue lights located on the underside of the bedroom slide. The movement of the slide being extended and retracted caused the wires to be exposed at the point where they are staked to the bedroom floor.. i would have thought that Grand Design could have found a better way to run these wires. I wonder how many other 5th wheel trailers have had this problem.

Phil
                          I had a similar problem with those wires under the bed. I decided to take and add a foot jumper then crimp together as well as adding heat shrink to ease the chafing. That was over two years ago and no problems since.
                          Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                          2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Originally posted by Carldebenedetti View Post
                            Does anyone have a diagram, pictures or a drawing of how the wires get reconnected under the bed 2021 337 RLS?
                            See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...5443#post85443 for an attached PDF.

Edit: Decided to put a copy in this thread. See next post.

Comment

Originally posted here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...5443#post85443

See attached PDF for a wiring diagram as posted by LAHS75

Howard

337RLS Slide Out Wiring Repari.pdf

Comment

I had this same issue come up. I would add one suggestion to ATCRicks comments, which were very helpful. I used “U” shaped nails to seat the wires just below the carpet level. This worked well and I no longer have any problems with the wires/connectors being ripped apart when the bedroom slide closes and opens. Gary,

Comment

Working...
                                X