WFCO WF 8735 Power Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFCO WF 8735 Power Center

Hey everyone, first time poster on the forum. We just purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE and I had a question about the WFCO 8735 power center. We plan to do a lot of boondocking so having an on inverter is a must since we don't want to run the generator every time we need to use a plug. My idea was to replace the 12v battery with 2 6V golf cart batteries and connect an inverter. When we wanted to use the inverter I would plug the shore power cord into the inverter (using a 30amp to 15amp adapter) to power the trailer. I know when doing this I need to shut off the converter or it will create a loop. On my WFCO 8735 the Converter does not have its own breaker, seems to be integrated with the power center (no extra room to add another breaker). Any ideas on how I could turn off this converter while using the inverter? I've also looking into upgrading the WFCO 8735 with either a Progressive Dynamics 4135 or Boondocker 1235BC which would allow me to upgrade to Lithium down the road. Sorry for the long post, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by LukeA26 View Post
    Hey everyone, first time poster on the forum. We just purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE and I had a question about the WFCO 8735 power center. We plan to do a lot of boondocking so having an on inverter is a must since we don't want to run the generator every time we need to use a plug. My idea was to replace the 12v battery with 2 6V golf cart batteries and connect an inverter. When we wanted to use the inverter I would plug the shore power cord into the inverter (using a 30amp to 15amp adapter) to power the trailer. I know when doing this I need to shut off the converter or it will create a loop. On my WFCO 8735 the Converter does not have its own breaker, seems to be integrated with the power center (no extra room to add another breaker). Any ideas on how I could turn off this converter while using the inverter? I've also looking into upgrading the WFCO 8735 with either a Progressive Dynamics 4135 or Boondocker 1235BC which would allow me to upgrade to Lithium down the road. Sorry for the long post, any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Hi Luke - Welcome to the technical forum.

There are a couple of ways to go here.

1. I've never used the 8735, but I'll bet that converter shares a breaker with some other circuits. I'd switch each breaker off one at a time. Once you find the one that controls the converter, see if it's killing other circuits that you can live without. If so, just shut it off and use the remaining outlets. If that won't work, move to step 2.

2. I'd find the power cord for the converter portion. If possible, wire a switch into the power cord that you have easy access to. You can use the switch to power off the converter while you're running on inverter power.

I successfully ran my inverter like this for several years before finally installing a transfer switch.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Tight space on the 8735. I'd try a small 120VAC rated switch.
      Carling Technologies LRR112-2B-JN
      Switch Rocker, SPDT, ON-NONE-OFF, 125V Neon, Red, 10A, 125VAC, QC, RR/LRR Series

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO 8735 7A @ 105VAC.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	29382
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Sorry for the long post, any advice is greatly appreciated.
        You're in good hands with TucsonJim and gbkims , so I'll limit my response to writing "Welcome to the Forum!". When you get a chance, please see the Welcome Letter for new members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks TucsonJim and gbkims for the quick reply and advice! I'll test the breakers and see if its tied into one of the 15amp breakers but from what diagrams I can find looks like there's a leg off the main 30 amp breaker to the converter. I will look into the switch you recommended gbkims . Might be my only course of action.

Do either of you have experience with the WFCO converter/chargers in general? From what research I have done they don't offer much for bulk charging and tend to stay in the absorption mode causing longer battery charge times even if the battery is down to 50%. I am wondering if it would be wise to upgrade the wfco to a Progressive Dynamics or Boondocker from bestconverter.com power center. They both are drop in replacements to the WFCO.

Thanks for the welcome howson we haven't had a chance to take it out for the maiden voyage yet, half of California seems to be on fire at the moment. Air quality is so bad its not safe to even go outside.

Comment

T
            Do either of you have experience with the WFCO converter/chargers in general? From what research I have done they don't offer much for bulk charging and tend to stay in the absorption mode causing longer battery charge times even if the battery is down to 50%. I am wondering if it would be wise to upgrade the wfco to a Progressive Dynamics or Boondocker from bestconverter.com power center. They both are drop in replacements to the WFCO.
            It is true that the WFCO converters will only stay in bulk mode for a limited time. Check out page 7 of this manual for more information. As you can see, with no DC loads, it can take up to 48 hours for the converter to fully charge your batteries and go into float mode.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...Manual-web.pdf

Also, here is WFCO's "theory of operation":
            http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...eration-v2.pdf

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thanks for the info TucsonJim I cant wait to get this wired up and try it out.

Comment

Sorry TucsonJim one more question. When you had your set up like this and you turned off power to the converter. Did you lose power to the entire DC system when it was hooked up to the inverter? Would only the AC system work? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry TucsonJim one more question. When you had your set up like this and you turned off power to the converter. Did you lose power to the entire DC system when it was hooked up to the inverter? Would only the AC system work? Thanks.
                  No, when I shut off the breaker to the converter, it would simply stop charging, but I still had 12V battery power to the coach.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                  X