Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Volt power point plugs install for CPAP power in bedroom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Volt power point plugs install for CPAP power in bedroom.

I had originally posted this elsewhere, but keep seeing question asked about what to do here. First - what did I do this? Both my wife and myself use a CPAP at night, When camping we usually visit campgrounds without power at the site. So to run our CPAP I needed 12V power point plugs in the bed room. I first looked at taping into the light power at the nights stand, GD runs 14 gauge wiring to the lights. However after checking my CPAP's power requirements and seeing what GD had on that circuit, there was not enough power available, especially for 2 units. I also looked into having the plugs on the nights stand wall, but running wiring back to the front compartment was not possible without taking everything apart.

So I settled on coming up inside the bed frame.

For my install GD was kind enough to get me a diagram of my bed room floor framing. Most 5th wheel units will be the same. However you don't really need a framing diagram. By looking forward from the front storage compartment you should be able to see the framing. Measure everything out from both side walls and a known point in you bedroom layout forward. In my case it was the cross beam step. My bed was screwed down along the sides into two of these forward running members. There is also a big steel cross header in my unit where there is a step down in front of the bed.

So with the measurements in hand I went into the bedroom and put tape on the floor where I thought everything was. I then drilled small pilot holes down where I was going to bring my power cables up. I used some bailing wire to poke down and then find the wire by looking forward from the front compartment, Adding colored tape to the wire helps. Ultimately I cam up just inside the bed frame close to the side wall near the foot of the bed - missing the cross beam.

First - no matter what brand of CPAP unit you have your manufacturer should have a 12v power cord adapter available. My Dream station came with one. They will look something like this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442s.jpg
Views:	1749
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	29354 The adapter converts 12v to the operating 24v most CPAP units run on. Your normal 110 power cord converts the 110v AC house power to 24v DC for the unit power.

Parts you will need

Name:	IMG_0032s.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	29355
    I used this marine grade wiring. It has its own covering over the wires. It's probably overkill but I had some long runs. You might get away with 12 gauge or even 14 gauge if the runs are short. Somewhere on this site folks have posted wiring charts.

Name:	IMG_0018s.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	29356
    Power point plug. There are many brands and colors. Here is one source https://www.etrailer.com/12V-Power-A...ion/F12VR.html
    Note is has a barrel and backing nut.

Name:	IMG_0019s.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	29357
    For my install in the bed frame I drilled a smaller hole on the outside and larger in the inside to fit the locking nut. Tip - use a thin long drill bit that is smaller than your pilot bit is on your hole saw and drill through both sides. Then you will be centered for drilling the second different hole sizes.

Name:	IMG_0023s.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	29358
    What it looks like on the other side.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Now for the wiring. I wanted a stand alone fuse block to run the wiring from.
    I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...rkle_td_asin_1

It has a negative buss bar to make wiring easier and a cover to prevent unwanted contact by shifting gear.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0011s.jpg Views:	48 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	29363 Red is power Yellow is ground or negative.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0012s.jpg Views:	49 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	29364
    I took power from the master GD buss bar and grounded the unit to the frame below. You can see the two power cables running along the side wall behind the jack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013s.jpg Views:	46 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	29365
    I then came up and ran along the front storage compartment header to the point they needed to go up in to the bed area.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016s.jpg Views:	46 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	29366
    You can see one side diapering up under the overhang.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0020s.jpg Views:	46 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	29367
    I thne secured the wiring along the edge of the bed frame as it ran forward to the plug location.
    Last edited by Yoda; 09-15-2020, 11:55 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

To cover the plug hole I bought a couple of these.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0017s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	29369
      I gutted then out so the would fit over the hole and protect the wiring connections.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0022s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	29370
      To make the connections that would fit under the cover I used Flag terminals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0024s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.0 KB ID:	29371
      Once everything is done they are in the perfect spot to have the CPAP on the night stand and just have the power cord on the floor. It is not in the way of getting in or out of the bed.

With our dual 12V battery's and our 170 watt solar we have all the power needed and both CPAPS work perfectly. We do not use the heat setting so our power draw is minimal - maybe 3 amp an hour if I remember correctly. If you use the heat setting some units draw close to 12 amp. That's why I went with the larger wire - just in case.
      Last edited by Yoda; 09-10-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Terrific work. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen "flag terminals". Thanks for sharing this project.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Terrific work. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen "flag terminals". Thanks for sharing this project.

Jim
          I first ran across Flag terminals years ago when they came in a kit for installing my Viair compressor on my truck. I messed things up on my first try as usual and had fun tracking down spares. They are good in tight spaces where you cant come straight out like under the cover box I used in this project. They do come in handy. I noticed NAPA carry's them recently.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
          Keith

Comment

Yoda -- another well done mod, Keith! Your post should be very helpful to anyone else that has a similar need to power a CPAP.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I first ran across Flag terminals years ago when they came in a kit for installing my Viair compressor on my truck. I messed things up on my first try as usual and had fun tracking down spares. They are good in tight spaces where you cant come straight out like under the cover box I used in this project. They do come in handy. I noticed NAPA carry's them recently.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
              Keith
              Autozone if your in that neck of the woods. They also make a waterproof version that if you heat it up, the covering shrinks around the wire. (Just don't burn the wire, or the camper)

I'm looking to install USB ports in my Imagine, and it's an almost identical wiring plan that you have.
              Mike
              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Autozone if your in that neck of the woods. They also make a waterproof version that if you heat it up, the covering shrinks around the wire. (Just don't burn the wire, or the camper)

I'm looking to install USB ports in my Imagine, and it's an almost identical wiring plan that you have.
                Good to know that Autozone has them. Are they a good brand? I have found it pays to spend a few more penny's to get the good stuff.

Comment

Good to know that Autozone has them. Are they a good brand? I have found it pays to spend a few more penny's to get the good stuff.
                  Looks pretty decent. :-) (That's my dry humor saying it's the same brand)

Name:	2020-09-15 13_58_04-Photo - Google Photos.png
Views:	718
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	29839
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Looks pretty decent. :-) (That's my dry humor saying it's the same brand)

Name:	2020-09-15 13_58_04-Photo - Google Photos.png
Views:	718
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	29839
                    Thank You - they are good. BTW - if your wiring for the USB ports why not add the 12v power point too? Something like this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...tlet--15830508

Comment

That looks pretty fancy. I installed a 12v also for my cpap but just tapped into the wiring already there for the usb plug. Hopefully I don't burn the trailer down.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
                        That looks pretty fancy. I installed a 12v also for my cpap but just tapped into the wiring already there for the usb plug. Hopefully I don't burn the trailer down.
                        Depends on what you mean by "tapped". Our trailers are subject to a wide variety of stresses, both from towing and wide variances in environmental conditions.

As this was your first post, maybe you're an electrical engineer with decades of experience and was just having a little fun with your post (wouldn't be the first time)--and that would be OK. But if you seriously have any concerns or questions, take a picture of the juncture and post it here. We really do have no-kidding electricians and electrical engineers on the forum who will point out (in a friendly manner) if something needs tweaking.

When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter to new members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Depends on what you mean by "tapped". Our trailers are subject to a wide variety of stresses, both from towing and wide variances in environmental conditions.

As this was your first post, maybe you're an electrical engineer with decades of experience and was just having a little fun with your post (wouldn't be the first time)--and that would be OK. But if you seriously have any concerns or questions, take a picture of the juncture and post it here. We really do have no-kidding electricians and electrical engineers on the forum who will point out (in a friendly manner) if something needs tweaking.

When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter to new members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                          Sorry I was not trying to be funny. I'm definitely no engineer and definitely not an electrical one. I find electrical stuff the most confusing. I can do basic stuff myself like change out lights, fix faucets simple stuff like that. When I saw the 12v usb plug already there I thought it would be easy to add an outlet for my cpap by taping that usb. Sorry I don't have a pic but I literally tapped the wires going to the usb with one of those plastic clip thingys and wired it to one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thought it was simple enough, but now I see this setup with a fuse box and pretty thick cables (compare to the ones I tapped) and I'm questioning my install. I mean... it works... but not sure if it's safe now.

I also did the same for the TV. I found a cable outlet box online that had a 12v built in. I replaced my box with that one and plug in a small inverter and connect my TV to that.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
                            When I saw the 12v usb plug already there I thought it would be easy to add an outlet for my cpap by taping that usb. Sorry I don't have a pic but I literally tapped the wires going to the usb with one of those plastic clip thingys and wired it

Thought it was simple enough, but now I see this setup with a fuse box and pretty thick cables (compare to the ones I tapped) and I'm questioning my install. I mean... it works... but not sure if it's safe now.
                            I installed an entire new fused circuit from the battery compartment to the bedroom using 10ga (fairly heavy) wire. I chose the wire gauge based on the length of the circuit and the specified maximum rated amperage requirement of my machine, which is 10 amps. (There are places around the web that can calculate the wire gauge for you given length / voltage / amperage.)

However I've found that in use my machine draws only between 1.5 amps and 3.5 amps, literally increasing and falling as I breathe in and out. I don't use humidifier or hose heater which would significantly increase the machine's power demands.

I've therefore got more circuit capacity than I need but I'm certainly not kicking myself for it. It took about an hour to install it and about $25 in materials. I have a robust circuit there which can do more than power my machine if I want (such as run a small inverter for charging a laptop). And I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm stressing the light-duty wiring that GD installed for light-duty purposes.

So, Yoda has given you the details for a top-gear installation, or you can do one more simply (I just use an inline fuse block, for example), but there are reasons to consider going beyond what you've done.

Good luck with your choices.
                            Last edited by boyscout; 09-15-2020, 06:33 PM.
                            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I had originally posted this elsewhere, but keep seeing question asked about what to do here. First - what did I do this? Both my wife and myself use a CPAP at night, When camping we usually visit campgrounds without power at the site. So to run our CPAP I needed 12V power point plugs in the bed room. I first looked at taping into the light power at the nights stand, GD runs 14 gauge wiring to the lights. However after checking my CPAP's power requirements and seeing what GD had on that circuit, there was not enough power available, especially for 2 units. I also looked into having the plugs on the nights stand wall, but running wiring back to the front compartment was not possible without taking everything apart.

So I settled on coming up inside the bed frame.

For my install GD was kind enough to get me a diagram of my bed room floor framing. Most 5th wheel units will be the same. However you don't really need a framing diagram. By looking forward from the front storage compartment you should be able to see the framing. Measure everything out from both side walls and a known point in you bedroom layout forward. In my case it was the cross beam step. My bed was screwed down along the sides into two of these forward running members. There is also a big steel cross header in my unit where there is a step down in front of the bed.

So with the measurements in hand I went into the bedroom and put tape on the floor where I thought everything was. I then drilled small pilot holes down where I was going to bring my power cables up. I used some bailing wire to poke down and then find the wire by looking forward from the front compartment, Adding colored tape to the wire helps. Ultimately I cam up just inside the bed frame close to the side wall near the foot of the bed - missing the cross beam.

First - no matter what brand of CPAP unit you have your manufacturer should have a 12v power cord adapter available. My Dream station came with one. They will look something like this.

Name:	IMG_0442s.jpg
Views:	1749
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	29354 The adapter converts 12v to the operating 24v most CPAP units run on. Your normal 110 power cord converts the 110v AC house power to 24v DC for the unit power.

Parts you will need

Name:	IMG_0032s.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	29355
                              I used this marine grade wiring. It has its own covering over the wires. It's probably overkill but I had some long runs. You might get away with 12 gauge or even 14 gauge if the runs are short. Somewhere on this site folks have posted wiring charts.

Name:	IMG_0018s.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	29356
                              Power point plug. There are many brands and colors. Here is one source https://www.etrailer.com/12V-Power-A...ion/F12VR.html
                              Note is has a barrel and backing nut.

Name:	IMG_0019s.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	29357
                              For my install in the bed frame I drilled a smaller hole on the outside and larger in the inside to fit the locking nut. Tip - use a thin long drill bit that is smaller than your pilot bit is on your hole saw and drill through both sides. Then you will be centered for drilling the second different hole sizes.

Name:	IMG_0023s.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	29358
                              What it looks like on the other side.
                              I am also by no means as skilled as many of the folks on this forum so I plugged in an adapter that turned the two AC outlets on my side of the bed into four which included two usb outlets. I know just enough to not try to overload the circuit by plugging in and using four high draw devices at the same time. For me, rather than going to a ton of time, effort, and the skill that I don’t posses anyway, I simply reach down and plug the AC plug that came with my CPAP machine into one outlet and go to sleep. Pretty simple solution for a simple guy like me. 🙂
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...
                              X