Converter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter Question

During the PDI with the delivery tech, he was adamant to tell me that I must turn off the converter before plugging in the shore power or else it will "fry the converter". Then talking it to the dealer this week for work, I asked the question to a different tech and he said that was not true and added that there is an automatic switch that shuts off the converter if it senses shore power. So here are my dumb questions for the day (I will have more dumb questions along the way)...

* Do I need to turn off the converter before I plug in the 50A shore power?
    * I have a generator... do I need to be disconnected from the truck power to use the generator?
    * Will it harm anything if I plug in to shore power while the truck cable is still connected?

2021 Solitude 380 FL-R

thanks for the help
    James

I have never turned off the converter before or after plugging into shore power. I do turn off breaker at the post before plugging in my cord, then turn on breaker. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Baldwin007 View Post
      ... and added that there is an automatic switch that shuts off the converter if it senses shore power. ...
      Not sure what that means either but not true. Converter supplies charge to batts and power for 12v items while on shore power.

Edit: and NO to all three *questions
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I have an internal EMS that delays power to the coach while it runs a series of checks to be sure there is no problem with power coming from the pedestal. Having said that, I’m still a creature of habit. Before hooking up I shut the breaker at the pedestal as well as the main breaker in the coach. Then I plug in and throw the breaker at the pedestal. Once the EMS has done its thing I throw the main breaker. I do this connecting to 50/30 amp at the campground as well as my extension cord at home before a trip. Overkill? Maybe. But it’s easy to do it this way and how can I be too careful with my favorite investment.
        Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB
        2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 2WD, TC 2.3-liter 4-cylinder

Comment

During the PDI with the delivery tech, he was adamant to tell me that I must turn off the converter before plugging in the shore power or else it will "fry the converter". Then talking it to the dealer this week for work, I asked the question to a different tech and he said that was not true and added that there is an automatic switch that shuts off the converter if it senses shore power. So here are my dumb questions for the day (I will have more dumb questions along the way)...

* I have a generator... do I need to be disconnected from the truck power to use the generator?
          * Will it harm anything if I plug in to shore power while the truck cable is still connected?

2021 Solitude 380 FL-R

thanks for the help
          James
          FWIW here’s what I do: 1) turn the pedestal breaker off before plugging in my surge protector. 2) plug in SP by itself and turn pedestal breaker on 3) give time for SP to go through it’s checks 4) if all is ok, I flip pedestal breaker off again, plug my RV power cord to the SP and then flip the pedestal breaker back on, wait for SP checks to read ok again and then plug opposite end of power cord into RV. If you want to be even more OCD than me 😃- do all this with the RV internal 30/50 amp breaker off and flip it back on as your very last step.

My procedure may be somewhat redundant or unnecessary but that’s my habit and I’ve never had a problem. Good luck.

PS. I’m not sure what benefit could be achieved by leaving your TV plugged in while plugging into shore power. Unplugging my truck is one of the first things, in connection with campsite setup that I do.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

2021 Solitude 380 FL-R

thanks for the help
            James
            Do you have an invertor? Maybe the first tech was referring to that if you do. Even if you do when shore power is applied it then has a switch that passes through the shore power and the invertor goes to standby. If he was really referring to a convertor then they were blowing smoke.......most convertors don't even have a switch to turn it off.

Mark
            2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
            2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
            2020 Momentum 376THS
            We're both proud USAF Retirees...
            Retired RV Tech

Comment

Since you have a Solitude with a residential refrigerator, you probably have an "Inverter" as well as a converter. Is there any chance the tech was referring to the "inverter" and not the converter?

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X