Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green gunk / corrosion on battery terminal

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    That green gunk is sure interesting. It almost looks like the type of corrosion you get on the terminals of a lead acid battery.
    I've snatched Jim's comment from a thread about something else to ask, can green gunk / corrosion be a warning about something other than time and moisture at the terminal?

We have two pairs of several-year-old Trojan T-105 batteries that were reassembled with new lug connectors less than a year ago. Seven of the eight terminals on them are perfectly clean; great shape. The eighth terminal is thickly-coated with green gunk on the copper lug and the battery terminal more thinly coated with white.

It's a positive terminal, connected to the negative terminal of its mate by an 8-inch 1-gauge welding cable. Cables FROM both sets of the batteries into trailer systems are all equal-length 2-gauge welding cable, which had me wondering if 1-gauge connecting cables between the pairs was a mistake, but the connecting cable between the other pair is perfectly-clean on both ends.

Is the corrosion warning me about something?

TIA
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Your battery case is leaking. Can come from excess torque when attaching cables, vibration or age. There is no fix, but you may be able to live with it if you keep it cleaned up. Warranty?
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
    X