Left Turn Signal ooc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Turn Signal ooc

Background: Was having some intermittent problems with my early model (oem) Furrion Rear Observation Camera and (long story) replaced the 7 pin female connector that goes from RV to TV. Everything works now with exception of the RV left turn signal. I checked the red wire and rechecked the connections to the other 6 pins and can’t find anything out of the ordinary. My solder job is not pretty but everything looks like it’s in its own lane. FWIW: 1) all lights on TV are working properly. 2) running lights on RV are all illuminated when TV headlights come on. 3) as mentioned, left turn signal on RV does not flash whether when asked via left turn lever of TV nor when TV Emgncy lights are activated. Nor when TV brakes are applied.
    I have minimal skills regarding proper use of electrical testing tools however I’ll take any advice and give it the ole college try. Just in case, I have another new 7 pin plug in standby as well as a new complete trailer cable with 7 pin and junction box, just in case. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Background: Was having some intermittent problems with my early model (oem) Furrion Rear Observation Camera and (long story) replaced the 7 pin female connector that goes from RV to TV. Everything works now with exception of the RV left turn signal. I checked the red wire and rechecked the connections to the other 6 pins and can’t find anything out of the ordinary. My solder job is not pretty but everything looks like it’s in its own lane. FWIW: 1) all lights on TV are working properly. 2) running lights on RV are all illuminated when TV headlights come on. 3) as mentioned, left turn signal on RV does not flash whether when asked via left turn lever of TV nor when TV Emgncy lights are activated. Nor when TV brakes are applied.
    I have minimal skills regarding proper use of electrical testing tools however I’ll take any advice and give it the ole college try. Just in case, I have another new 7 pin plug in standby as well as a new complete trailer cable with 7 pin and junction box, just in case. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
    An ohmmeter is your friend, Dave. Somewhere there's an open circuit is my guess or the wrong wire is connected to the turn signal circuit. An hour or two on YouTube and getting familiar with using an ohmmeter will be time very well spent.

As you correctly identified, it is the red wire that is suspect. (Pic below from my "comprehensive" drawing.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	30661

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

An ohmmeter is your friend, Dave. Somewhere there's an open circuit is my guess or the wrong wire is connected to the turn signal circuit. An hour or two on YouTube and getting familiar with using an ohmmeter will be time very well spent.

As you correctly identified, it is the red wire that is suspect. (Pic below from my "comprehensive" drawing.)

Name:	wiring.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	30661

Thanks again Howard. I'll open the oem junction box tomorrow and see whats up, if anything, with the red wire there. I can't imagine that the wrong wire is connected to the red circuit because the left turn signal on the RV has been working fine for the past year. I'm hoping its as simple as a loose wire or something of that nature inside the junction box. As a friend of mine says "it's usually something simple" so I'm hoping that is the case. Will advise outcome of my investigation. Thanks again.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Thanks again Howard. I'll open the oem junction box tomorrow and see whats up, if anything, with the red wire there. I can't imagine that the wrong wire is connected to the red circuit because the left turn signal on the RV has been working fine for the past year. I'm hoping its as simple as a loose wire or something of that nature inside the junction box. As a friend of mine says "it's usually something simple" so I'm hoping that is the case. Will advise outcome of my investigation. Thanks again.
        Like howson kinda said, a multimeter will be your friend. I say kinda, since he recommended an ohmmeter, which usually comes with a multimeter Anyways, while you have the junction box open you should be able to check with a multimeter in Volts DC mode if there is 12v on the left signal wire while the signal light is running in the TV. IE, open the junction box, turn on the left signal, use your multimeter with one probe on the red wire and another on a ground point and see what voltage you're getting. Just note, since the light should be flashing on and off, the voltage will go between 0 and 12(ish). If you don't have 12v at the junction box, the problem is upstream of the box, otherwise if there is 12v, look downstream.

Also just checking, but the rear left light comes on with the running lights right? Your post made it sound like that is the case, but just wanted to check.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
        Last edited by StephenO; 09-24-2020, 09:23 PM.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Like howson kinda said, a multimeter will be your friend. I say kinda, since he recommended an ohmmeter, which usually comes with a multimeter Anyways, while you have the junction box open you should be able to check with a multimeter in Volts DC mode if there is 12v on the left signal wire while the signal light is running in the TV. IE, open the junction box, turn on the left signal, use your multimeter with one probe on the red wire and another on a ground point and see what voltage you're getting. Just note, since the light should be flashing on and off, the voltage will go between 0 and 12(ish). If you don't have 12v at the junction box, the problem is upstream of the box, otherwise if there is 12v, look downstream.

Also just checking, but the rear left light comes on with the running lights right? Your post made it sound like that is the case, but just wanted to check.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
          Hey Stephen, appreciate your advice/input. To answer your question, yes, the left rear light does come on with the running lights but does not flash when turn lever in TV is turned on, nor does it flash when emgncy light switch in TV is initiated, nor when brake pedal is pressed. Should that fact generate an additional thought or suggestion, please advise. All help much appreciated.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

One thing to check besides the wiring is the tow vehicle fuse. Each trailer turn signal has its own fuse in many tow vehicles.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
              One thing to check besides the wiring is the tow vehicle fuse. Each trailer turn signal has its own fuse in many tow vehicles.
              Will do, thanks jk
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Hey Stephen, appreciate your advice/input. To answer your question, yes, the left rear light does come on with the running lights but does not flash when turn lever in TV is turned on, nor does it flash when emgncy light switch in TV is initiated, nor when brake pedal is pressed. Should that fact generate an additional thought or suggestion, please advise. All help much appreciated.
                There are two separate circuits to a trailer tail light. One is for running lights (working). The other is for brake/turn/emergency (not working).
                I agree with StephenO . . . Start with a voltmeter at the junction box and then look upstream or downstream.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Schiefswret . You lead off with you have replaced the Pigtail on the camper. Let's assume this is the cause of the problem. (Sorry, but if it worked before, it's a good starting place)

The running lights and the brake/turn signal use different wires to perform their function, so the fact that your running lights work just proves that the running lights work.

I'm going to ask you try to post a photo of the junction box where the Pigtail mates with the camper wiring. You mention soldering and lanes, so I want to see what you mean.

I would troubleshoot this way:
                  1. On the Pigtail end, Find the wire for the left turn signal. See the picture I'm attaching below (Should be the middle picture, attached at bottom of message)
                  2. Put your multimeter into OHM mode, and place the black lead into ground (White in the middle picture)
                  3. Put the red lead on the Left Turn & Stop.
                  4. The meter should read something along the lines of 1 to 3 ohms. This is the resistance of the Light. If it reads 0, it means it has no resistance to ground, which means you have a short (your wire is touching ground (the frame) before it hits the light bulb..
                  I'm expecting you to have a short, so I'd expect that number to be 0.

Check to see if you have any part of your splice that has exposed wires, and is touching the frame.

It could also be 0L which means beyond limit. IE, you don't have a complete circuit, or a wire is not connected all the way thru. (Wire isn't actually touching, or the bulb is blown)

Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                    Schiefswret . You lead off with you have replaced the Pigtail on the camper. Let's assume this is the cause of the problem. (Sorry, but if it worked before, it's a good starting place)

The running lights and the brake/turn signal use different wires to perform their function, so the fact that your running lights work just proves that the running lights work.

I'm going to ask you try to post a photo of the junction box where the Pigtail mates with the camper wiring. You mention soldering and lanes, so I want to see what you mean.

I would troubleshoot this way:
                    1. On the Pigtail end, Find the wire for the left turn signal. See the picture I'm attaching below (Should be the middle picture, attached at bottom of message)
                    2. Put your multimeter into OHM mode, and place the black lead into ground (White in the middle picture)
                    3. Put the red lead on the Left Turn & Stop.
                    4. The meter should read something along the lines of 1 to 3 ohms. This is the resistance of the Light. If it reads 0, it means it has no resistance to ground, which means you have a short (your wire is touching ground (the frame) before it hits the light bulb..
                    I'm expecting you to have a short, so I'd expect that number to be 0.

Check to see if you have any part of your splice that has exposed wires, and is touching the frame.

It could also be 0L which means beyond limit. IE, you don't have a complete circuit, or a wire is not connected all the way thru. (Wire isn't actually touching, or the bulb is blown)

Mpking will do and report back. Thank you!

I followed steps 1-3 and the MM did not indicate anything other than the “1” which is where it started out. Sending pic of MM before going any further to make sure I’ve set it properly before using it. Pls advise.
                    Last edited by Schiefswret; 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM.
                    Dave and Sue
                    2020 GD 2250RK
                    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Well the fact that the light comes on for the running lights, that suggests to me that the ground connection is good from the truck to that light, since the running lights would use the same ground as left hand signal. I would then focus my efforts on the red wiring and the 12v coming from the TV for left signal/brakes signal.

I am assuming the light worked before you replaced the 7pin cable right? Just making sure that it's the power supply and not the light itself
                      Last edited by StephenO; 09-25-2020, 09:13 AM.
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                        Schiefswret

...I'm going to ask you try to post a photo of the junction box where the Pigtail mates with the camper wiring. You mention soldering and lanes, so I want to see what you mean...
                        That's a good point on the soldering note; if the wires are soldered together, was that connection covered in something like electrical tape? If the connection is left bare, it could be touching the junction box metal, which should be grounded and that could cause the issue.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

That's a good point on the soldering note; if the wires are soldered together, was that connection covered in something like electrical tape? If the connection is left bare, it could be touching the junction box metal, which should be grounded and that could cause the issue.
                          There was no soldering on that end, only on the pigtail. I haven’t done any investigation into thr junction box other than to remove the cover to see if any obvious was out of order
                          Dave and Sue
                          2020 GD 2250RK
                          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Well the fact that the light comes on for the running lights, that suggests to me that the ground connection is good from the truck to that light, since the running lights would use the same ground as left hand signal. I would then focus my efforts on the red wiring and the 12v coming from the TV for left signal/brakes signal.

I am assuming the light worked before you replaced the 7pin cable right? Just making sure that it's the power supply and not the light itself
                            Yes it did
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Mpking will do and report back. Thank you!

I followed steps 1-3 and the MM did not indicate anything other than the “1” which is where it started out. Sending pic of MM before going any further to make sure I’ve set it properly before using it. Pls advise.

Name:	8685EC22-438C-4CDF-A6A6-01603B346863.jpeg
Views:	769
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	30685
                              Attached Files
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55