Left Turn Signal ooc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Well the fact that the light comes on for the running lights, that suggests to me that the ground connection is good from the truck to that light, since the running lights would use the same ground as left hand signal. I would then focus my efforts on the red wiring and the 12v coming from the TV for left signal/brakes signal.

I am assuming the light worked before you replaced the 7pin cable right? Just making sure that it's the power supply and not the light itself
    Stephen, Did u get the pic of the multimeter and my response to the steps I took?
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

There was no soldering on that end, only on the pigtail. I haven’t done any investigation into thr junction box other than to remove the cover to see if any obvious was out of order
      When you replaced the pigtail, did you remove the pigtail entirely from the junction box, or just cut the end off the existing pigtail and put a new 7way connector on the end? (IE, have you been in the junction box before?)
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

When you replaced the pigtail, did you remove the pigtail entirely from the junction box, or just cut the end off the existing pigtail and put a new 7way connector on the end? (IE, have you been in the junction box before?)
        I only cut off the old one and soldered on a new one. I’ve done no work inside the junction box.
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Between Stephen and mpking I’m not real sure I responded correctly as to getting them to the correct person. Please be so kind and look over and advise what is your next recommendation. Thanks! PS: I’m thinking maybe I should remove the recently installed pigtail and cleanup my solder job, check for stray wires, etc and reinstall more carefully and see what happens, however, I don’t really know, that’s why I’m here 😃
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Between Stephen and mpking I’m not real sure I responded correctly as to getting them to the correct person. Please be so kind and look over and advise what is your next recommendation. Thanks!
            Hey Schiefswret , saw your message. If the MM is reading "1", which is where it started out, that means you have no connection to the light. To explain more, when you switch the MM to Ohm / Resistance mode with the probes not touching, and you see 1 that means the unit sees resistance too high to read. If you then touch the probes together you'll likely see 0.0 or something like that, meaning you have a direct connection with essentially no resistance. What you wanted to see in that test is a reading like mpking suggested of 3ohms, which means you are seeing the resistance of the lights.

Just to confirm things are working as expected for your test, maybe trying doing the test again, but with the Right Signal light. IE, insert one MM probe into Ground (white), and the other into Right Signal / Stop (brown). Just make sure you get a reading there, then you know your MM and everything is working as expected.
            Last edited by StephenO; 09-25-2020, 10:03 AM.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Hey Schiefswret , saw your message. If the MM is reading "1", which is where is started out, that means you have no connection to the light. To explain more, when you switch the MM to Ohm / Resistance mode with the probes not touching, and you see 1 that means the unit sees resistance too high to read. If you then touch the probes together you'll likely see 0.0 or something like that, meaning you have a direct connection with essentially no resistance. What you wanted to see in that test is a reading like mpking suggested, which means you are seeing the resistance of the lights.

Just to confirm things are working as expected for your test, maybe trying doing the test again, but with the Right Signal light. IE, insert one MM probe into Ground (white), and the other into Right Signal / Stop (brown). Just make sure you get a reading there, then you know your MM and everything is working as expected.
              Ok, I discarded my cheap-o MM and used my other much more expensive one just to rule out a broken MM. Strangely enough I’m getting the same “1” reading on both the left and right light connections. The reading starts with a 1 and does not change when I make the test connection. 😖
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret mpking StephenO

If these tail lights are LED (which they probably are) using a meter to measure circuit resistance may not give a useful result.

​​​​​​​Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Schiefswret mpking StephenO

If these tail lights are LED (which they probably are) using a meter to measure circuit resistance may not give a useful result.

Rob
                  Yes they are LED, so am I possibly barking up the wrong tree?
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret
                    If you are working in the junction box anyway . . . you could switch the red and brown wires (left and right turn/stop) to see if the problem follows the exchange or stays with the input.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Schiefswret
                      If you are working in the junction box anyway . . . you could switch the red and brown wires (left and right turn/stop) to see if the problem follows the exchange or stays with the input.

Rob
                      I’m thinking that this problem started after installing the new socket to the TV so maybe I should remove the wires from the attachment points, inspect for stray wires, etc and reattach.

Your thoughts on that? Also asking the other guys the same question but not real sure how to add them to my post.

I also have a new spare plug and a new complete 7 way 8ft trailer cable with junction box, FWIW

btw I sure appreciate your guys help.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8CC676FB-B219-49BF-8B2E-A2248E5C528B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	30703

the set is the old style two sided connectors and the lone plug is the new style, one sided.
                      Last edited by Schiefswret; 09-25-2020, 10:26 AM.
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

I’m thinking that this problem started after installing the new socket to the TV so maybe I should remove the wires from the attachment points, inspect for stray wires, etc and reattach.

Your thoughts on that? Also asking the other guys the same question but not real sure how to add them to my post.

I also have a new spare plug and a new complete 7 way 8ft trailer cable with junction box, FWIW

btw I sure appreciate your guys help.

Click image for larger version Name:	8CC676FB-B219-49BF-8B2E-A2248E5C528B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	30703

the set is the old style two sided connectors and the lone plug is the new style, one sided.
                        My vote would almost be to remove the old cord completely, all the way to the junction box, versus trying to solder on a new plug end, and install that new plug, cord and junction box you have in your picture...Just my thought, but that way you have a solid connection from the plug all the way to the junction box.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

My vote would almost be to remove the old cord completely, all the way to the junction box, versus trying to solder on a new plug end, and install that new plug, cord and junction box you have in your picture...Just my thought, but that way you have a solid connection from the plug all the way to the junction box.
                          Gotcha, that’ what I’ll (or someone) will do. I suspect that since it’s just an RandR, I could probably do it, however I’m a little gun shy because if I get in a jam I’ll probably not know how to get out. 🤪
                          Dave and Sue
                          2020 GD 2250RK
                          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Gotcha, that’ what I’ll (or someone) will do. I suspect that since it’s just an RandR, I could probably do it, however I’m a little gun shy because if I get in a jam I’ll probably not know how to get out. 🤪
                            I'll add to my statement about replacing the whole cord....Since the trailer brakes also run through that plug and cable, you want to make sure that connection is good and secure. If your truck in your signature is like mine, there is nothing worse than towing your trailer and the truck display says, "Trailer Disconnected" and you don't have trailer brakes anymore, ask me how I know

The connections are not anything crazy to be honest. If you have done any sort of household electrical work, you should be able to do it.
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I’m thinking that this problem started after installing the new socket to the TV so maybe.......
                              Did you do any wiring on the Truck side of things, or is just the pigtail?

Mike
                              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I'll add to my statement about replacing the whole cord....Since the trailer brakes also run through that plug and cable, you want to make sure that connection is good and secure. If your truck in your signature is like mine, there is nothing worse than towing your trailer and the truck display says, "Trailer Disconnected" and you don't have trailer brakes anymore, ask me how I know

The connections are not anything crazy to be honest. If you have done any sort of household electrical work, you should be able to do it.
                                Although I think I probably could pull it off, I know a mobile RV repair guy here in town that is pretty sharp and is returning to St Pete next week and will do it for a one hour charge
                                so I’ll eliminate the possibility of getting stuck. MUCH thanks to you all for your efforts to help.
                                Dave and Sue
                                2020 GD 2250RK
                                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                                X