Power center swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power center swap?

My new and first trailer has a WF-8735 power center. I've been confirmed by WFCO that a new WF-8735LiS is a "direct" replacement that has switching to work with lead acid or Lithium batteries. I was also informed by them that I would have to purchase the power center through a RV dealer.
    While I'm waiting to hear from a few that I requested a quote to purchase the power center and also a quote to install, should they do that, I wanted to ask here; I'm not an electrician but if it's a "direct" replacement do you think it's just a matter of swapping out the wiring - as in exactly same locations - just straight ahead stuff or should I travel as far as needed to have it done? I do understand the basics of AC and DC wiring and my "can do" attitude has sure put me in some difficult situations numerous times so asking here may help...either way. Appreciate any advise.

It should be a straightforward swap. To improve charging off a generator I installed an IOTA-55 deck-mount converter inside the hookup center. It's a shorter run to the batteries and the factory WFCO is turned off at its breaker.
    2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Thanks mbopp. Great to hear "straightforward swap" again. I finally located a dealer that's checking on pricing for PC and installing so it seems I'll have options and backup should I attempt it and it goes south. I'll revisited this if there is a generator charging issue down the road.

Comment

Any update on this. Did you perform the swap? I have the same WF-8735 power center on my Imagine XLS 23BHE. I also have a Lion Energy lithium battery and would like to change to the WF-8735LiS.

Although my battery has a power indicator and it always shows 100% after a full charge. The next level down is 90%. So it must be charging to somewhere above 90%.

Comment

Originally posted by dwelcel View Post
          Any update on this. Did you perform the swap? I have the same WF-8735 power center on my Imagine XLS 23BHE. I also have a Lion Energy lithium battery and would like to change to the WF-8735LiS.

Although my battery has a power indicator and it always shows 100% after a full charge. The next level down is 90%. So it must be charging to somewhere above 90%.
          @Zoomer's last visit was a few weeks agon back in November. Hopefully they check in and respond soon.

Is there a specific concern about doing the swap? Based on how you're monitoring the battery power (through indicators on the battery) how will you know if there's an improvement? A battery monitor is almost mandatory IMHO on these RVs. Of course I like Victron (I'm an unabashed "fan boy" of their equipment) but there are many less-expensive alternatives well worth the time, effort and cost to install.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I run the Lion energy batteries, and Victron equipment similar to howson . I charge mine off of my Inverter charger (125 amps of charging is sweet!), but during some troubleshooting over the summer I did use the factory converter and was unimpressed. If you are not looking to install an inverter charger, then rather than replace the power center I would just turn off the breaker for the factory converter and get a Lithium dedicated converter. I have used Progressive Dynamics as well as PowerMax before with good luck. Both have Lithium specific models, and come in a "deck mount" that you just plug into a outlet in the RV and then wire to the batteries. This allows you to place it close to the batteries to maximize your charge efficiency.

I also second Howards recommendation to get a good battery monitor. Think of it like a gas gauge for your car, it tracks current going into and out of the batteries and can tell you at any time how much charge you are getting in, power you are using, or capacity left in the "tank". I am also running the Vicotron monitor, but have also used Trimetric with good success (bit more complicated to install and configure) if you are looking for another recommendation.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Just picked up our 2021 22MLE. Looking to do the power center swap. What is the cost for the WF-8735LiS? Can you order it online? My other option is a Gopower inverter/charger/transfer switch combo unit and just disconnect the WFCO charger.
              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
                Just picked up our 2021 22MLE. Looking to do the power center swap. What is the cost for the WF-8735LiS? Can you order it online? My other option is a Gopower inverter/charger/transfer switch combo unit and just disconnect the WFCO charger.
                No idea, cvretis. Hopefully once you sort is all out you'll share your cost/performance analysis and share it with the forum. That's what is great about an owner's forum--sharing our info with each other.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

No I haven't had the swap performed. I did gather all the information to have it done but decided to go a different route for now.
                  I want to see if a more versatile unit will cover my needs. I'm going for this.
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2KCKEQV4&psc=1

I did learn that a dealer has to order the power center and the dealer I spoke with said it was a couple of hours labor costs to swap. I was looking at that cost, @ $500.00 plus two Battle Born - total @ $2,500.00.
                  With the Delta Power Center fully charging in less than 2 hrs I was sold. Nice to know the lithium swap is doable but for now I want to try what I think is a better choice.
                  Last edited by Zoomer; 02-21-2021, 09:48 AM. Reason: The dealer I spoke with quoted $295.00 for the WF-8735LiS and labor at $80.00 per hr. - 2hr job. - which I was fine with.

Comment

“I did learn that a dealer has to order the power center“ is old news (this is an old thread.)

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-8735-...09QH269H9?th=1
                    click on updated
                    2020 Imagine 22RBE, 2012 Armada Platinum, Full-time

Comment

Working...
                    X