Wire Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Gauge

So I've in the process of getting everything for my basic lithium inverter setup. I used a wire size calculator online. I'm getting a 2000 watt inverter and it will be connected to either 1 or 2 100 amp hour lithiums. I calculated the size by entering 12v and 2000 watts/12v gave me 166 amps, then I added 25% for safety or spikes or what not is 207 amps. When I enter that into the calculator with a 2 ft run (only connecting batteries in parallel and from batteries to inverter next to batteries) it says I'm ok with 6 gauge or thicker, so I ordered some 4 gauge wires to be safe.

Anyways they arrived today and they seem kind of thin. I see pics of peoples installs and they have some massive cables just to connect the batteries in parallel. Is that overkill? Or am I missing something in my calculation? I also got a 250 amp fuse to go between the batteries and the inverter.

Originally posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
    So I've in the process of getting everything for my basic lithium inverter setup. I used a wire size calculator online. I'm getting a 2000 watt inverter and it will be connected to either 1 or 2 100 amp hour lithiums. I calculated the size by entering 12v and 2000 watts/12v gave me 166 amps, then I added 25% for safety or spikes or what not is 207 amps. When I enter that into the calculator with a 2 ft run (only connecting batteries in parallel and from batteries to inverter next to batteries) it says I'm ok with 6 gauge or thicker, so I ordered some 4 gauge wires to be safe.

Anyways they arrived today and they seem kind of thin. I see pics of peoples installs and they have some massive cables just to connect the batteries in parallel. Is that overkill? Or am I missing something in my calculation? I also got a 250 amp fuse to go between the batteries and the inverter.
    I’d consult the book for your inverter. My Magnum 2800 called for 2/0 wire, 4 AWG seems awful small to me.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I’d consult the book for your inverter. My Magnum 2800 called for 2/0 wire, 4 AWG seems awful small to me.
      You are correct. I found the manual online (don't have the inverter yet) and it says 2/0. So either those online calculators suck or I'm missing something because 2/0 seems to be rated for 1300 amps at 2 feet.

Guess these 4 awg are going back to amazon.

Comment

I think the 2000 watt is on the AC side, so the DC side could be 10x that. I know mine is fused at 400 amps. I think it is a slow blow fuse as well to deal with the initial in rush current.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          I think the 2000 watt is on the AC side, so the DC side could be 10x that. I know mine is fused at 400 amps. I think it is a slow blow fuse as well to deal with the initial in rush current.
          Funny thing is in the same table where it says 2/0 for the 2000 watt version it says 200 amp fuse

Comment

Yeah that’ll vary from unit to unit. My old magnum was 250 I think and the Victron i run now is 400 I think.

Neil Citro

Comment

You are correct. I found the manual online (don't have the inverter yet) and it says 2/0. So either those online calculators suck or I'm missing something because 2/0 seems to be rated for 1300 amps at 2 feet.

Guess these 4 awg are going back to amazon.
              What may be "overlooked" is the surge capacity of the batteries and also the inverter.

For example, the Battle Born (BB) can surge up to 200 amps for 30 seconds. Two BB batteries in parallel means the potential for 400 amps! Probably more than your inverter will surge to (definitely more) but larger wire is usually always a good idea. Less loss in the wiring means a more efficient system.

BL--you're on the right path getting the larger wire (and now hopefully you know "why").

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Funny thing is in the same table where it says 2/0 for the 2000 watt version it says 200 amp fuse
                Because fusing is done to match the wire size. 2/0 wire is rated for 200 amps.

If you can find a deal on 'motor lead' wire it will make install easier. It is a fine strand flexible wire. Normal 2/0 wire is not very cooperative when you are working in a small space.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I'm in the process of installing a Magnum MSH3012RV 3k inverter in my RV. Waiting for all of my supplies to arrive and the project will start in November. The Manual for the Magnum is DC wiring 4/0 for 5 feet or less. This is the minimum and 6/4 for AC wiring. Interesting how a 2800 Magnum is needing 2/0. I'm going with 4/0 since my DC wire run will be less than 3 feet. The devil is in the details on these Solar / Inverter / battery builds.
                  Gary F
                  2020 Solitude 375RES-R
                  2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

I just used a calculator like this one

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Wire-Calculator

If you enter 200 amps at 4 feet it says you can use 4 awg and larger. That's why I bought the 4 awg. However I already returned that and received my 2/0 awg today. I still can't say I totally understand this cable and fuse sizing, but I'm just going with what the manufacturer recommends as I'm sure they know a lot more about it than I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X