Newbie Question - Best Generator For My New Travel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - Best Generator For My New Travel Trailer

Hello to all. I'm brand new to the forum and just purchased my first camper ever, a 2021 Grand Design 2400BH. That said, I am thinking I will need a generator as we will be off the grid some of the time in the deep south. Therefore, we will definitely need to power the a/c as well as other things that the 12v wont push. Looking for suggestions from those in the know!

Much Appreciated!
    2021 Grand Design 2400BH
    2013 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost

smokymojo We use the Champion 3500 Watt Inverter generator. It's a bit heavy so some light weight ramps may be in order. The remote electric start is a great convenience where the wheels are really too small for rough terrain as the only negative.

https://www.campingworld.com/champio...5&gclsrc=3p.ds

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by smokymojo View Post
      Hello to all. I'm brand new to the forum and just purchased my first camper ever, a 2021 Grand Design 2400BH. That said, I am thinking I will need a generator as we will be off the grid some of the time in the deep south. Therefore, we will definitely need to power the a/c as well as other things that the 12v wont push. Looking for suggestions from those in the know!

Much Appreciated!
      Welcome to the forum. I agree with Jim (Midwest Campers). The 3500 (or 3400--same exact generator with a different label being sold through different outlets) is a good choice. If you get the version that can burn propane you won't have to bring gas (or at least will have another option for a fuel source).

I went with Champion's smaller generator due to space, weight and storage considerations. Definitely limits my options, though, due to the lower output. If interested here's a link to the thread with more info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-model-100402

When you get a chance, please check out the New Members welcome letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I run the propane version as well. No electric start, but I don’t need to haul gas, and no issues with gummed up carburetors (have enough of those with my snowmobiles lol). It’s great, runs and AC no problem and pretty much everything else I throw at it. Plus it’sa little lighter since there’s no gas in it.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Each have their pros and cons. A dual fuel model has flexibility but the engine will make less power on propane and will put out fewer watts versus running on gasoline.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by smokymojo View Post
            Almost four years ago - before we picked up our first trailer - I bought the following dual-fuel Champion generator.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

I bought it for boondocking before my wife let me know that we weren't going to be doing any boondocking. She has lately relaxed a bit, and the generator was started for the first time ever a few weeks ago.

I hooked it up to one of our propane tanks and it started *instantly* on electric start, even though I certainly hadn't charged its battery every month as the manual instructs. I felt love.

It began to run roughly and did so for all of several hours. However after we brought it home I started it up again and it ran like a sewing machine. I've concluded with some online help that the propane tank's safety valve was probably constricting fuel flow when it wasn't running well. (I didn't hear the valve click in but it's the only likely explanation - everything else was the same).

So I'm back to feeling love about this relatively-inexpensive, well-featured generator and suggest that you give it a look.

It's pretty quiet (59db), it weighs about 95 pounds but has very good carrying handles and wheels (I can lift it into the trailer alone), and running it on propane means that it has no detectable odor when stored in the trailer - I hope I never put gasoline in it. It comes with everything needed to run it including the propane setup, good documentation, and even a funnel to make oil changes easy. Add oil and propane and go.

Good luck with your choice.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Almost four years ago - before we picked up our first trailer - I bought the following dual-fuel Champion generator.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

I bought it for boondocking before my wife let me know that we weren't going to be doing any boondocking. She has lately relaxed a bit, and the generator was started for the first time ever a few weeks ago.

I hooked it up to one of our propane tanks and it started *instantly* on electric start, even though I certainly hadn't charged its battery every month as the manual instructs. I felt love.

It began to run roughly and did so for all of several hours. However after we brought it home I started it up again and it ran like a sewing machine. I've concluded with some online help that the propane tank's safety valve was probably constricting fuel flow when it wasn't running well. (I didn't hear the valve click in but it's the only likely explanation - everything else was the same).

So I'm back to feeling love about this relatively-inexpensive, well-featured generator and suggest that you give it a look.

It's pretty quiet (59db), it weighs about 95 pounds but has very good carrying handles and wheels (I can lift it into the trailer alone), and running it on propane means that it has no detectable odor when stored in the trailer - I hope I never put gasoline in it. It comes with everything needed to run it including the propane setup, good documentation, and even a funnel to make oil changes easy. Add oil and propane and go.

Good luck with your choice.
              Yeah my goal is to never put gasoline in mine, it’s terrific. Capable of running the charger on my inverter at 120 amps and my instant pot at the same time on propane, or either of my AC units, I call it a win.

I also modified mine to use the grill connector and added a few more quick contexts around the rig so I can run it in a variety of places (also useful for the propane fire pit TucsonJim turned me on to), so I don’t even need to connect it to a tank, just hook up the hose and plug it into the rig.

Neil Citro

Comment

I'm new too and with my first camper, in the south, not in the know so FWIW I'm leaning to the Westinghouse iGen4500 (in case the link doesn't work)
                I'm 65 so not sure how many years I'll be able to lift it but there's many things I don't know. I imagine weight is an issue to most for some reason.
                It's been hard to decide between them all but I know when I use one I want it to be able to supply all my power needs...easily.
                For the money and reviews I'll more than likely be pushing the purchase button on it.
                Carrying and running gas is part of it and I want my propane for other uses.
                Hope this helps with your search.
                Amazon.com : Westinghouse iGen4500 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator 3700 Rated & 4500 Peak Watts, Gas Powered, Electric Start, RV Ready, CARB Compliant : Garden & Outdoor

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  I also modified mine to use the grill connector and added a few more quick contexts around the rig so I can run it in a variety of places (also useful for the propane fire pit TucsonJim turned me on to), so I don’t even need to connect it to a tank, just hook up the hose and plug it into the rig.
                  Did you simply remove the first (regulator) part of the supplied propane feed and replace it with a connector? That simple? Thx.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ChampionGenerator_PropaneAdapter_Highlighted.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	31115
                  Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Did you simply remove the first (regulator) part of the supplied propane feed and replace it with a connector? That simple? Thx.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ChampionGenerator_PropaneAdapter_Highlighted.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	31115
                    Yes exactly. I put a male on the remaining piece so I can plug it directly into the grill port or into a propane extension hose. I then put a female on the regulator so I could still use the generator at the house on a portable tank if need be.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                    X