No announcement yet.

Wiring Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems obvious to use a universal harness for each model line would make sense. For instance the travel trailers would have a harness and the fifth wheel models and toy haulers another. There are dedicated harness companies such as Yazaki for example that can assemble harnesses which would be a plug and play solution. Seems this would save on assembly time while raising quality and reducing warranty costs. But the cost to have them made may be a factor.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      It seems obvious to use a universal harness for each model line would make sense. For instance the travel trailers would have a harness and the fifth wheel models and toy haulers another. There are dedicated harness companies such as Yazaki for example that can assemble harnesses which would be a plug and play solution. Seems this would save on assembly time while raising quality and reducing warranty costs. But the cost to have them made may be a factor.

Jim
      Hi Jim,

I have had this exact conversation with folks at Grand Design . . . but, they don't see this as a potential cost savings (and quality improvement) . . . which it definitely would be. They used to build models more-or-less in the sequence that orders were received, but more recently "batch build" perhaps a week of the same model to improve repetitive build quality. This should make the idea of wiring harnesses specific to similar models an even better cost & quality improvement.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Harnesses and either smurf tube on conduit in the walls would make assembly so much easier, faster, and thus cheaper. Could you imagine having a wall with the conduit coming out the bottom (or top) and being able to feed the wire straight to the location?
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I have always assumed the reason that they have not gone with harnesses was the comparatively cheap cost of labor there, as well as the ability to modify the floorplans at will without that holding them back. That said put me firmly in the camp wishing for this. I would love to go to the RV shows and open up the walls for people the see them when they walk through. I keep joking that if I ever get to do the factory tour I am going to bring a shop vacuum to give them as a gift so they can clean up after the holes they drill in the rig.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X