Using SurgeGuard with Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using SurgeGuard with Adapters

will the 50 amp 34951 work on a 30 amp male to 50 amp female adaptor when used on 30 amp service ?

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
    will the 50 amp 34951 work on a 30 amp male to 50 amp female adaptor when used on 30 amp service ?
    Good evening, Ed.

Sorry, but I'm a bit tired. I'm not sure what is being referenced by "34951". When I google'd it the results were for the Fort Pierce, Florida zip code. I suspect that is not what you intend.

Can you clarify, please, so this foggy mind can understand?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The 34951 surge protector, see attachment :
      https://www.technorv.com/50a-surge-g...tection-34951/

Comment

The 34951 surge protector, see attachment :
        https://www.technorv.com/50a-surge-g...tection-34951/
        According to the operating manual (link on the website):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cord.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	32151

While I'm sure a fellow owner will give advise in good faith, with such a specific non-GD component it might be better to call Southwire directly to get an answer. (Please report back what they say!)

Name:	Southwire.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	32152
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

just spent a hour trying to call south wire surge guard, used the extension number and tried to get a operator number, no luck. response to email was Use the correct sized adaptor. Only thing that would heat up on a short piece of wire would be the connection of the wire. I'm going to use the 34951 with a power cord adaptor.30 amp male to 50amp female. I'm going to use it with a generator as well, 4500 watt generator should take care of One AC unit and a quection on the Microwave at the same time?? Still looking at which genset to purchase?? Thanks ed

Comment

Thanks ed
            Moved the posts from Nailbender 's thread to your own. We'd "hijacked" that other thread.

Comment

4500 watt generator should take care of One AC unit and a quection on the Microwave at the same time?? Still looking at which genset to purchase?? Thanks ed

Well that's disappointing that they didn't answer the phone. What if you really had an issue? I have no connection with the company or interest, but that is concerning.

An air conditioner compressor has a very high load when it engages. While a 4500W generator theoretically can provide up to ~37.5 amps, they can be slow to respond to sudden load increases. If it's a problem running both at the same time, a no-cost option is before using the microwave turn the air conditioner to "Fan" only. Then back on a/c when done with the microwave. If that's not acceptable, consider installing an "EasyStart" in the air conditioner: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

For the generator question--do a search for "generator" and there are many threads on the topic.

Don't know how to search the forum? There's lots of tips (on multiple subjects) in the Forum Use channel.

Name:	Forum USe.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	32196
              Here's what you're looking for (to learn how to search the forum):

Name:	Search.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	32197

Comment

Just a comment. I don't have the southwire version. (I"m using Hughes Autoformer's Watchdog) But my Watchdog won't let me use it with a generator, because of grounding issues. (Floating ground I think is the code)
                Mike
                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                  Just a comment. I don't have the southwire version. (I"m using Hughes Autoformer's Watchdog) But my Watchdog won't let me use it with a generator, because of grounding issues. (Floating ground I think is the code)
                  You just need a bonding plug and it should work fine.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

TIL (Today I learned) about Bonding plugs. (You can too at: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/)
                    Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                      TIL (Today I learned) about Bonding plugs. (You can too at: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/)
                      Yeah I just made one by taking a plug, shorting the N and G terminals with a piece of wire, and plugging it into one of the 110v outlets in my generator. I marked it neutral bonding plug and leave it plugged in all the time.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

A thread started by TucsonJim with a lot of good detail on the subject of bonding plugs: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator

Comment

Working...
                        X