dog bone 50 amp female 30 amp male 20 amp male

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog bone 50 amp female 30 amp male 20 amp male

Alot of the old midwest/ GE and Westinghouse pedestals have a 120v 30 amp and a 120v 20 amp duplex outlet installed. For a 50 amp trailer, has anyone use a 50 amp FM to 30 amp M, twin adaptor, on the pedestal for one 120 v leg and the other 30 amp M to another dog bone, 30 amp FM to 20 amp M to heat up both hot legs in to your 50 amp connector? This woudl give u a full 30 amp and 20 amp circuit to the 50 amp trailer panel.

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
    Alot of the old midwest/ GE and Westinghouse pedestals have a 120v 30 amp and a 120v 20 amp duplex outlet installed. For a 50 amp trailer, has anyone use a 50 amp FM to 30 amp M, twin adaptor, on the pedestal for one 120 v leg and the other 30 amp M to another dog bone, 30 amp FM to 20 amp M to heat up both hot legs in to your 50 amp connector? This woudl give u a full 30 amp and 20 amp circuit to the 50 amp trailer panel.
    Yes, I've done it when I wanted to run two AC units. But there is a caveat. It will not work if plugged into a GFI outlet. Here's the one I use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have the 30 30 to 50 and a 30 to 20 so I though I would just use that when the time ever came up thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
        They do work, as Jim says it will not with a GFCI (which code says they all should be since they are outside), but I have never used one. I have been to a few campgrounds where they are forbidden in the rules (the national rally being one).

I would personally be careful, if a campgrounds panel is old enough to not require that the outlet be GFCI, I would bet the 30 amp and 20 amp circuits are both fed from the same feed back at the main panel and you could end up tripping that main breaker upstream.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

most of the pedestals that I have wired are feed thru and have 150 to 200 amp breakers feeding a line of 200 amp bus pedestals. Old ones may have a breaker per pedestal but I have never ran into one. Alot of different ones on the market to conply with the local codes.

Comment

I am electrically illiterate, as a result combining two outlets into one is very scary for me. I don't know enough to know when it will work and when it won't work. I have been in enough RV parks to know that not all of them were installed by professional electricians. My risk analysis meter says rigging the coach to run on just a 30 amp connection is much safer than trying to milk 50 out of the pedestal.

Not trying to say you shouldn't do it or it can't be done, but I wont.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

no danger at all!! using a dog bone and 30 30 or 30 20 from the same pedestal to feed a 50 amp service cord. All the breakers are located in the pedestral u are hookin up to. no fear to up stream system overload protective devices. plug in and have fun...

Comment

Working...
              X