Molex Connector Recall dealer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molex Connector Recall dealer problem

I had my Molex recall done at a dealer several weeks ago and everything seemed fine. No issues plugging into the GFI at home getting ready to camp as usual. Drove home in the rain from the last camping trip and then GFI kept popping. GFI didn't pop when the breakers for the fireplace and Microwave were off. Suspected that the dealer messed up the Molex recall so took it back last week. Dealer said they found nothing and said microware and fireplace worked fine. Suggested my GFI was faulty and have an electrician look at it. I have a background in Electricity and Electronics so replaced the GFI with a new one myself. Sure enough trailer popped that one too. Fast forward to the next day and here is what I found, Molex connectors tied together but still sitting on the belly in the bit of water. No wonder the GFI popped, did what it was supposed to do with the connectors wet and sitting in water.

So frustrated at the incompetence of some dealers and thier techs. I know I should take it back and have them do it right but what else will they break or screw up and this would be the 3rd trip. I will definetly send them this picture but once spring gets here I will drop the underbelly myself and do it right.

If you are having this one done do yourself a favour and take out a couple of screws and have a peak in there to make sure they did it correctly. They take shortcuts as it takes too much time to do it right by dropping the underbelly far enough to get access.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
    I had my Molex recall done at a dealer several weeks ago and everything seemed fine. No issues plugging into the GFI at home getting ready to camp as usual. Drove home in the rain from the last camping trip and then GFI kept popping. GFI didn't pop when the breakers for the fireplace and Microwave were off. Suspected that the dealer messed up the Molex recall so took it back last week. Dealer said they found nothing and said microware and fireplace worked fine. Suggested my GFI was faulty and have an electrician look at it. I have a background in Electricity and Electronics so replaced the GFI with a new one myself. Sure enough trailer popped that one too. Fast forward to the next day and here is what I found, Molex connectors tied together but still sitting on the belly in the bit of water. No wonder the GFI popped, did what it was supposed to do with the connectors wet and sitting in water.

So frustrated at the incompetence of some dealers and thier techs. I know I should take it back and have them do it right but what else will they break or screw up and this would be the 3rd trip. I will definetly send them this picture but once spring gets here I will drop the underbelly myself and do it right.

If you are having this one done do yourself a favour and take out a couple of screws and have a peak in there to make sure they did it correctly. They take shortcuts as it takes too much time to do it right by dropping the underbelly far enough to get access.

Rob
    Wow--not good. Can you send me the dealer's name and a copy of the recall repair receipt (if you have one)? I'd like to make GD management aware of this "repair". ***Please*** send the info by PM. Do not post the dealer's name or the invoice on the forum. (TIA!)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow. The Recall was for this very thing. To tie up these molex connectors so water can not get to them laying on the belly of the units.
      (On my Reflection, the dealer said, 2-4 hrs repair time. My reply, I have an appt, and the recall says less than an hour. Their reply, we will work this in, it is better that you leave it.)

I had GD do mine while working on my coach. (I will not use the dealer that I purchased the Reflection from again. This isnt the first issue I had with them.)

Maybe, if GD would start to "Debit" the dealers who do not do the work correclty, on time, etc, they might start doing things right.

Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
        Wow. The Recall was for this very thing. To tie up these molex connectors so water can not get to them laying on the belly of the units.
        (On my Reflection, the dealer said, 2-4 hrs repair time. My reply, I have an appt, and the recall says less than an hour. Their reply, we will work this in, it is better that you leave it.)

I had GD do mine while working on my coach. (I will not use the dealer that I purchased the Reflection from again. This isnt the first issue I had with them.)

Maybe, if GD would start to "Debit" the dealers who do not do the work correclty, on time, etc, they might start doing things right.

Exactly. I can see how it would take 2 - 4 hours. Didn't take them nearly that long on mine for obvious reasons. I didn't even check the other side but could see the molex connector on the other side lying on the underbelly as well. Total of 4 connectors all with tie straps but none secured to the frame or floor anywhere.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I've been working in the Automotive Industry since 1983. The RV industry is not even on the same planet when it come to consistency, quality, workmanship and Technician training. Technician Certifications and continual education is a must to survive in the Auto Industry regarding Mechanical and Collision services. At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual working on your RV or Vehicle having in-depth knowledge and professional attitude to complete safe and quality repairs.
          Gary F
          2020 Solitude 375RES-R
          2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Wow--not good. Can you send me the dealer's name and a copy of the recall repair receipt (if you have one)? I'd like to make GD management aware of this "repair". ***Please*** send the info by PM. Do not post the dealer's name or the invoice on the forum. (TIA!)
            Thanks Howard. PM sent with the requested info.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

This is exactly the reason I did mine myself. I don’t trust my dealer to turn on a flashlight. I know this one requires Dealer to do, I figured I would do it right, then at the rally I’m at Grand Design can look at it and mark it off that it’s done.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                This is exactly the reason I did mine myself. I don’t trust my dealer to turn on a flashlight. I know this one requires Dealer to do, I figured I would do it right, then at the rally I’m at Grand Design can look at it and mark it off that it’s done.
                Thank Neil,

I was thinking about doing it myself originally but since it should have been a very straight forward and a safety recall I figure best to let a dealer do it. How wrong I was.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

(TIA!)
                  Terrorism Information Awareness (US DARPA program; formerly Total Information Awareness)

Telecommunications Industry Association

Total Information Awareness (US DARPA program; now Terrorism Information Awareness)

Transient Ischemic Attack

Toy Industry Association, Inc.

Tire Industry Association

Totally Integrated Automation (Siemens AG)

This Is America

Travel Industry Association of America

Tampa International Airport

Today I Ate

That Is All (internet slang)

Tradition in Action (relgious group)

Time Impact Analysis

The Intellectual Activist

Technology Industry Association

Total Information Awareness

Totally Integrated Automation

Telecommunications Industries Association

Transimpedance Amplifier

Telecommunications and Information Administration

Take It Away

Trust Indenture Act of 1939

Traffic Impact Analysis

Transport Impact Assessment (various locations)

Tucson International Airport

The Interfaith Alliance

Tentative Interim Amendment

Tribhuvan International Airport (Nepal)

This Is Africa (movie)

The Internet Adapter

Thanks in Anticipation

Truth In Advertising

Type Inspection Authorization

Tortilla Industry Association

Tulsa International Airport

Transport Infrastructure Act (Australia)

Time Interval Analyzer

Technology Industries Association

Tochigi International Association (Japan)

Terminologie et Intelligence Artificielle

Tax Injunction Act

Team Instant Action (gaming)

Technology Investment Agreement

Television Interface Adaptor (chip found in old Atari consoles)

Traffic Improvement Association

Terrorism Information Awareness System

Tournament Indoor Association (color guard group)

Tobacco Institute of Australia

This Is Anfield (fanzine website)

This Is Awkward

Tourism Industry Association of New Zealand (also seen as TIANZ)

Takings Impact Assessment (Texas Department of Transportation)

Temporary Insurance Agreement

The Insurance Application (Denmark)

That Is Alright

Tirana, Albania - Rinas (Airport Code)

Trotsky Internet Archive

Temporary Investigative Authority

Transparency International Australia

Tohoku Internet Association (Japan)

Tecnicos en Investigación Aeroterraquea (Spanish comic book)

Techniques Industrielles Appliquées (French: Applied Industrial Technologies)

Training Impact Analysis

Technical Interest Area

Terminal Indicate Assignment

Technology Information Advisor

Talking in Acronyms

Tactical Interface Adapter

Transparency In Armaments agreement

Technical Interface Agreement

Telescope and Instrument Assembly

Teknoland Internet Agency

Test Interface Assembly

Total Inactive Aircraft

Technology Integration & Application

Temperature Indicating Alarm

Texas Indoor Advertising

Thanks in Advance -- Ya think?
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                    Terrorism Information Awareness (US DARPA program; formerly Total Information Awareness)
                    <snip>
                    Very thorough but you missed Johnny Carson's, take it away (TIA).
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Just to followup the dealer sent a tech to my house yesterday so I would not have to tow the trailer an hour. Tech was very competent and did a wonderful job. Happy camper now. The GFI doesn't pop anymore now that connectors are not sitting in a bit of water.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
                      X