Battery Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Balancing

We have had one trip with our 310GK-R and like most of the features of this RV. Grand Design did a good job with the QC.

I have one issue. With the residential refer, there is a second battery. We have had AC power ever since purchase and the main battery tests at 13V. However, the second battery tests at about 5V to 6V. When the inverter is on, it shows 11.6V.

From the picture, you can see that the positive terminals are connected -- red cable with the yellow plastic. However, the negative terminals are not connected.

It seems that running a 4 AWG cable from the negative on battery1 to the negative on battery 2 should help. In our last RV, I had three 12V batteries and bought three sets of cables. The positive and negative leads connected to all three, so there was total balance. It seems to me that there is a battery balance problem with our RV.

I have a cable on order, but have not installed it yet. Is this the best next step? It is not total balance, but it would be an improvement.

Charles
    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Originally posted by Crespro View Post
    We have had one trip with our 310GK-R and like most of the features of this RV. Grand Design did a good job with the QC.

I have one issue. With the residential refer, there is a second battery. We have had AC power ever since purchase and the main battery tests at 13V. However, the second battery tests at about 5V to 6V. When the inverter is on, it shows 11.6V.

From the picture, you can see that the positive terminals are connected -- red cable with the yellow plastic. However, the negative terminals are not connected.

It seems that running a 4 AWG cable from the negative on battery1 to the negative on battery 2 should help. In our last RV, I had three 12V batteries and bought three sets of cables. The positive and negative leads connected to all three, so there was total balance. It seems to me that there is a battery balance problem with our RV.

I have a cable on order, but have not installed it yet. Is this the best next step? It is not total balance, but it would be an improvement.

Charles
    If both of the current ground wires are connected to chassis ground, there should be very little resistance between them. You can remove both negative battery cables and then measure the resistance between the two cable terminal ends. I suspect it will be near zero ohms. If not then you need to trace the wiring to find out why. I don't believe a direct ground connection between the two will help. I'd run a hydrometer test on the battery measuring 5-6 volts or have it tested on a load tester. I suspect you have a bad battery.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I agree with Jim that if both wires are connected properly to the frame, an additional wire connecting the negative terminals will have no effect. I would check the frame connections of the two negative wires. Your trailer being new, it is possible that there is paint or something preventing a good -ve connection to the frame.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Raises a good point. The batteries that you have were installed by your dealer not Grand Design. It is possible that they just screwed the ground wires to the frame somewhere and did not clean off any of the paint.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
        X