Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Inverter Question and scratching my Head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Question and scratching my Head.

Just upgraded to a 2021 376ths, Beautiful Rig. My question is and Im looking for some advise, I got it with the solar package and inverter installed from the Grand Design Factory. Why is my Inverter not hooked up to my distribution panel? I can't watch TV, make a cup of Coffee or power a plug off my Battery and Inverter. Thats what it was ordered for and I was not provided a wiring schematic or literature on the Inverter. Ill will be calling Grand Design Tomorrow for hopefully some satisfaction. Seems crazy to spend 3K on a package that does absolutely nothing. Any Ideas and has anyone else encountered this issue?Inverter

Originally posted by Good Times 689 View Post
    Just upgraded to a 2021 376ths, Beautiful Rig. My question is and Im looking for some advise, I got it with the solar package and inverter installed from the Grand Design Factory. Why is my Inverter not hooked up to my distribution panel? I can't watch TV, make a cup of Coffee or power a plug off my Battery and Inverter. Thats what it was ordered for and I was not provided a wiring schematic or literature on the Inverter. Ill will be calling Grand Design Tomorrow for hopefully some satisfaction. Seems crazy to spend 3K on a package that does absolutely nothing. Any Ideas and has anyone else encountered this issue?Inverter
    I don't think I have your answer, but will post to help bump your thread back up to get attention to it.

First thing that comes to mind is that the factory is mostly installing inverters for the purpose of powering a residential refrigerator in units where that option was ordered. I wonder if the people on the floor did the installation that way without thinking that you were expecting more of your circuits to be energized by the inverter.

Does your fridge work on AC when you're not connected to shore power? If so that may be the only / one of the only circuits connected to the inverter.

Maybe someone who knows more will jump in.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times 689 View Post
      I am going to call on TucsonJim in here, but I know there are two different options. The residential fridge option which only comes with a small inverter to feed the fridge, and the solar option which is supposed to include a larger inverter that feeds more circuits in the rig. I am however not sure what circuits are supposed to be fed, hopefully Jim will have some more insight there. It is possible your rig was wired with the wrong inverter or configuration. What size is the inverter installed in your rig?
      Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28bh
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank You for the Thoughts, Thats what has me stumped, I have the Factory installed Solar thats supposed to offer true inversion of Power for off Grid Boon docking. Yesterday I took my big Girl back to the dealer and even they were scratching their heads. Needless to say after calling Grand Designs and talking to the service people a work order has been started. I'll let everyone know the outcome sooner than later I hope.

Comment

I pulled the documentation I do have and it's very limited in scope. So instead of definitive answers, I'm shooting in the dark a little.

On most of the units I've seen, the inverter output is fed into a sub panel. Can you locate the sub panel, and if so, are the breakers labeled with the circuits they supply?
          When you turn on the inverter with the switch, can you examine the inverter and make sure it's actually powering up? On late models there is a secondary battery disconnect switch that will stop the battery voltage from going to the inverter, as a result there is no parasitic draws and the inverter is disabled. If this switch is not turned on, then the inverter will not actually power up.

Jim
          The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

Jim and Ginnie
          2017 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

The sub-panel for the inverter should be in one of the lower kitchen cabinets. It's not big, so you'll have to look toward the back to find it.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Devil is in the details. Solar Prep vs- Solar package and what they provide regarding expectations. Lots of self-learning on this subject. Most seem to do better building and installing a system themselves or having a professional do the layout and installation. I just replaced the 1k GD installed inverter on my 2020 375RES-R with a Magnum 3k hybrid inverter that feeds both legs of the 50 amp sub panel plus added 3 100amp Battle Born batteries. With all the hardware, wiring, battery monitor and installation requirements. My self-installation came to just under $5k, and this does not include solar on the roof. Solar is next on the list for early 2021.

Good luck on your journey!
              Attached Files
              Gary F
              2020 Solitude 375RES-R
              2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Working...
              X