Kitchen and Living Room Lights are Dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen and Living Room Lights are Dim

We are having problems with our living room and kitchen lights going dim. We are hooked up to shore power on our property and have our rig plugged into a Progressive EMS-PT50X. The EMS is showing 13 amps out of one leg and 3-4 amps out of the other leg but is showing no errors (reflects E0). A couple days ago, we disconnected the rig from the EMS system and plugged it directly into our 50 amp outlet - the lights were no longer dim. Two nights ago, I plugged the rig back into the EMS system. Last night, I removed the EMS system to plug the rig back directly into the 50 amp outlet and this morning, the lights are dim again. I'm not sure if we have a problem with the EMS system, if our battery is bad (it reads full inside the rig), or if our converter is bad. I originally thought it was a problem with the EMS system but having the lights dim again after being plugged directly into the 50 amp outlet all night makes me think there might be one or two issues. Any ideas?

Kristen
    Current Setup: 2019 Solitude 375RES, 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Previous Setup: 2019 Imagine 2670MK, 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Good morning Kristen - Your symptoms sure point to a battery or converter problem. Fortunately, there is a pretty good flow chart from one of the converter manufacturers on how to trouble-shoot it. I imagine you probably have a WFCO-9855 Converter/charger in your Solitude. Here's the flow chart for checking it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO Flow Chart.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	35661

Jim.

P.S. Since you're a brand new member to the forum, we've put together a sheet to help you navigate your way around a little easier.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Attached Files
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim! We will try that troubleshooting and see how it goes.

Kristen

Comment

I wanted to follow-up with the solution in case others are having this issue. We ended up having a bad EMS system and although that wasn't the cause of the lights going dim, it was the cause of the low amp readings. The cause of our problem ended up being a loose fuse. The connection that the fuse plugs into needed to be tightened so that the fuse made a solid connection.

Here are the things we checked:
        1) Shore plug
        2) Converter
        3) Battery
        4) Fuses for lights

Once we discovered all of those were good, my husband started pushing on the fuses and found there was too much play in the fuse for the rear lights. Once he tightened the connection a week ago, we haven't had the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob and Kristen View Post
          I wanted to follow-up with the solution in case others are having this issue. We ended up having a bad EMS system and although that wasn't the cause of the lights going dim, it was the cause of the low amp readings. The cause of our problem ended up being a loose fuse. The connection that the fuse plugs into needed to be tightened so that the fuse made a solid connection.

Here are the things we checked:
          1) Shore plug
          2) Converter
          3) Battery
          4) Fuses for lights

Once we discovered all of those were good, my husband started pushing on the fuses and found there was too much play in the fuse for the rear lights. Once he tightened the connection a week ago, we haven't had the problem.
          Great that you found the issue. Another item to check with the "loose fuse" would be all of the wire connections in the power distribution panel. Plenty of owners have found some loose screw connections , make sure all power if off before checking these please. A good hand tightening is all that is needed , I believe on the schematic inside the panel it will give a torque spec.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X