Air Conditioner - 15 amp breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner - 15 amp breaker

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding some simple electrical concept, however, if my air conditioner's starting current draw is around 59 amps and the "running" amps is 12-18, why doesn't the Grand Design installed 15 amp breaker trip every time I start the A/C? Why isn't the 50 amp main breaker tripping? Additionally I have read that breakers are only 80% efficiency - therefore a 15 amp breaker should really trip around 12 amps (?) The only 20 amp breaker I have is for the Washer/Dryer outlet.
    2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

CaptDan In electronics terms a circuit breaker is a relatively slow device. It depends how far over the rating is, but the basic idea is the breaker (and the wiring it protects) can handle the inrush current from the air conditioner compressor coming on. By the time the breaker is in danger of tripping the current draw has dropped down below 15 amps. The long term running amps should be below the breaker size. I am not sure what AC unit you have, but the Coleman Mach 15 draws max 14.3 on low and 15 on high.

Now on top of all that, my rig has 20 amp breakers for both A/C units, but that could be due to the specific ones I have.
    Last edited by ncitro; 11-23-2020, 05:37 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Neil:
      Thank you.
      That makes sense.
      We have 2020 397.
      Still kinda wondering why GD put 15 amp breakers for all 3 ACs (and others) and perhaps I should upgrade to 20 amps.
      Fortunately they haven't been tripping; so maybe I'm over-reacting. Maybe I should go direct to GD and ask.
      I only noticed this issue when doing a complete review of my inverter's "pass thru" and "Load support" capabilities.
      Thanks
      Dan
      2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

The 80% “rule” is nonsense. Some breakers won’t trip until 10% over, some are really close. But none trip at 80% of their rating. Some rules of thumb for electrical system design call for 80% with big surges, but if your breakers are 15A, they are not going to trip at 12A. Your ACs likely draw around 13A and are absolutely fine with 15A breakers.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

John:
          Thank you. Since I haven't been tripping the 15 amp AC breakers, I assumed there had to be some
          reason the breakers were not tripping.
          Dan

Comment

Interesting. I have two Dometic AC's on my 2017 model. Both of them them are protected by 20 amp breakers.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

You are now the second reply which utilizes 20 amp breakers.

I was able to find a photo of my Airxcel 15000 A/C where I had a Easystart installed (see attached).
              if you look at the bottom of the last table it appears to show the minimum circuit breaker to be used (?)

This unit has a heat pump. If I'm reading the sticker right this unit should have had a 20 amp breaker installed
              with the Heat pump option (?)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	35761

Comment

GDRV-Megan

Hi Megan - Can you please have one of the technical folks look into this thread. Dan has a Momentum and his VIN is listed on his profile page. Since he has a heat pump version of the Air Command AC installed, shouldn't his breaker be 20 or 25 amps, and not 15 amps?

Thanks,

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                  You are now the second reply which utilizes 20 amp breakers.

I was able to find a photo of my Airxcel 15000 A/C where I had a Easystart installed (see attached).
                  if you look at the bottom of the last table it appears to show the minimum circuit breaker to be used (?)

This unit has a heat pump. If I'm reading the sticker right this unit should have had a 20 amp breaker installed
                  with the Heat pump option (?)
                  I would tend to agree with you based on the information from the tag that you should have at least a 20 Amp breaker but if you have been using it including the electric heater and it has not tripped the 15 Amp breaker I would not bother changing it. Based on the numbers the heater circuit with fan will pull a maximun of 15.6 amps but probably less so the 15 amp breakers are working as they should since this would be a worst case max. I would not change it unless you start tripping breakers. Nothing wrong with the way it is done from the looks of it. Manufacturer says 20 Amps to avoid tripping a 15 amp breaker on the units that pull the worst case amperage using the heater as noted on the sticker.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

At least if my heat pumps starts tripping at some point in the future, I'll know why.
                    Thanks all

Comment

Let us all remember that the breaker protects the wiring upline of the breaker, not the device downline. The concept is that the breaker will trip before the wire gets to hot to cause damage. Before switching from a 15 amp to a 20 amp breaker make sure that the wiring has enough capacity, and the proper installation to handle the 20 amps.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                        Let us all remember that the breaker protects the wiring upline of the breaker, not the device downline. The concept is that the breaker will trip before the wire gets to hot to cause damage. Before switching from a 15 amp to a 20 amp breaker make sure that the wiring has enough capacity, and the proper installation to handle the 20 amps.
                        Excellent point John. The minimum wire size for a 15 amp circuit is 14 AWG. For a 20 amp circuit it's 12 AWG. Placing a 20 amp breaker in a circuit with 14 AWG wire is not correct.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Only have one 20 amp breaker. I am now curious to see if that circuit wiring is different from the others (i.e. 15 amp).
                          Hopefully all circuit wiring is 12 AWG (or better).

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

Yes I was going to make this point as well. Both my AC units have 12 gauge romex run to them so the 20 amp breaker is appropriate. If you’re familiar with electrical work it should be easy to pull the cover off of the breaker panel and see what size wire goes to the AC circuits.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                            X