Lithium Install 2021 Imagine 2800BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Install 2021 Imagine 2800BH

First, I want to thank everyone in this forum that has posted their electrical Mods and answer my stupid questions. I have read most of them in order to make this happen.

I am by no means a professional so use what I have done at your own risk. If you are not comfortable working with electricity DO NOT attempt this. You can burn your rig down or kill yourself in the process.

I bought a 2021 GD Imagine 2800BH in September and from day one I knew the battery you get was not going to be enough. I could not make it a full night without running out of juice. I went and bought two UT1300 from Costco at $699 each. I was going to get Battle Born batteries but the price, weight and footprint made the Lion Energy batteries more attractive.

My goal was to install them in the passthrough storage in order to protect them from the elements and to keep thieves honest. I didn’t want to modify the OEM wiring to much so I kept everything aft of the disconnect switch untouched. I did disconnect the factory installed converter and bought a 60 Amp lithium compatible converter/charger. By the way, I am getting the full 60 Amp from that thing. Very happy with it.

I remove the positive and negative wires from the original battery and discard them alone with the battery. The positive wire on the output side of the 30 Amp auto-reset fuse was moved to the input side of the fuse. This wire then was disconnected from the disconnect switch and attached to Class T fuse block. From there I attached another wire from the fuse block to another 30 Amp auto-reset I installed and then to the other side of the disconnect switch. The ground wire was attached to the frame underneath the convenience center. This will allow the lithium batteries to provide power to the jack and the breakaway switch with the disconnect switch off. Do you follow what I did? If not, ASK.

After that was done, I basically follow the schematic bellow.

I thought about running a wire from the passthrough to the 30 Amp braker but this would have added over 10 feet of extra wire. Not ideal.

I was thinking about disconnecting the 12V wire that comes from the trucks 7 pin connector and but decided to test out and see how many amps are coming to the batteries while towing. We’ll see what happens.

I don’t plan on installing solar panels any time soon. I have a Predator inverter generator that I can use to charge the batteries while boondocking. I am thinking about adding a small pure sine inverter in the future just for the television. No need for it right now.
    2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Giesis

Excellent job! A clean installation and well protected from cargo. It looks like your lithium charger is in its original location? Curious how long the OEM 8 gauge wire is from the charger to the Lions Energy batteries.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Giesis

Excellent job! A clean installation and well protected from cargo. It looks like your lithium charger is in its original location? Curious how long the OEM 8 gauge wire is from the charger to the Lions Energy batteries.

Jim
      Jim

The lithium charger is actually mounted right on top of the batteries. I used 4 awg wire and its only 12 inches long. The 8 awg wire from the OEM charger is around 17 feet long.
      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

You're sure going to like having that extra battery reserve, especially if you're running the furnace at night. I installed 300 amp hours of Battle Born a few years ago. According to my shunt, the most I've ever used was about 160 amp hours. It's nice to have that kind of reserve power. If I was purchasing again, I'd go with the Costco batteries myself. The price just makes it worthwhile.

Nice job on the install.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          You're sure going to like having that extra battery reserve, especially if you're running the furnace at night. I installed 300 amp hours of Battle Born a few years ago. According to my shunt, the most I've ever used was about 160 amp hours. It's nice to have that kind of reserve power. If I was purchasing again, I'd go with the Costco batteries myself. The price just makes it worthwhile.

Nice job on the install.

Jim
          Jim,

I am testing the system out weekend that way I know for sure if two batteries are enough. I did some testing yesterday and with all the lights on and both roof fans on the shunt said the batteries will reach 10% in 2 days and 10 hours. Not bad. One thing I dont understand is the fridge was using 1 amp using propane. Seems kind of low but I’ll take it.
          2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Giesis View Post

Jim,

One thing I dont understand is the fridge was using 1 amp using propane. Seems kind of low but I’ll take it.
            Maybe you can help me get a clearer picture so I understand this. The control board for the refrigerator is a very low current draw. On many GDRV units, the refrigerator is mounted in a slide out, so it's impossible to vent the refrigerator out the roof. When you can't vent to the roof, you need to have two side vents, and there needs to be a power fan to aid in venting.

Your 2800's refrigerator is not mounted in a slide. Can you tell if it's vented to the roof? If so, I don't believe it has a ventilation fan - do you know? If there is no vent fan, then I'd assume the daily power consumption is very small when running on propane.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Maybe you can help me get a clearer picture so I understand this. The control board for the refrigerator is a very low current draw. On many GDRV units, the refrigerator is mounted in a slide out, so it's impossible to vent the refrigerator out the roof. When you can't vent to the roof, you need to have two side vents, and there needs to be a power fan to aid in venting.

Your 2800's refrigerator is not mounted in a slide. Can you tell if it's vented to the roof? If so, I don't believe it has a ventilation fan - do you know? If there is no vent fan, then I'd assume the daily power consumption is very small when running on propane.

Jim
              Yes the fridge is vented to the roof and there is no fan up there. I’ll take a picture of the data plate later today but it says 7 amps on AC power and it has no value for DC power. Very interesting.
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Giesis -- before solar consider a DC-DC charger setup so that on travel days you arrive at your destination with fully charged batteries. (The assumption is you're boondocking.)

I have 1200W of solar but when I left home Monday morning it was heavy overcast. I'd "boondocked" in my backyard overnight so my 4 Battle Borns were at 57% SoC. Once underway the DC-DC Charger was enabled and by noon the batteries were at 100% (in addition to running my residential refrigerator). The DC-DC charger really is a difference maker on travel days!

If you haven't seen it, this thread has the whole story: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

And congrats on completing your setup!

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Giesis -- before solar consider a DC-DC charger setup so that on travel days you arrive at your destination with fully charged batteries. (The assumption is you're boondocking.)

I have 1200W of solar but when I left home Monday morning it was heavy overcast. I'd "boondocked" in my backyard overnight so my 4 Battle Borns were at 57% SoC. Once underway the DC-DC Charger was enabled and by noon the batteries were at 100% (in addition to running my residential refrigerator). The DC-DC charger really is a difference maker on travel days!

If you haven't seen it, this thread has the whole story: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

And congrats on completing your setup!

Howard
                  Howard,

It seems pretty easy to install. I thought about it but for right now I dont think I need it. Maybe I am wrong, time will tell.
                  2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Jim

The lithium charger is actually mounted right on top of the batteries. I used 4 awg wire and its only 12 inches long. The 8 awg wire from the OEM charger is around 17 feet long.
                    Very nice. This is the perfect location to deliver 60 amps to the batteries. I have a single 100ah AIMS Corp battery which with other draw from the rig is pulling in about 55amps. While dry camping I would run the generator long enough in the mornings to make a pot of coffee and keep it warm. About 45 minutes which would also result in a fully charged battery.
                    This charge would run my rig with heat on for 24hours where I would end up with over 40% of battery reserve by the next morning. Your 200ah system will have plenty of reserve and would also easily power an inverter to operate the TV. I'm also planning to do the same to stream movies to the TV or through a DVD.

Welcome to the "I'm not listening to my generator all day club".

Jim

Comment

Very nice. This is the perfect location to deliver 60 amps to the batteries. I have a single 100ah AIMS Corp battery which with other draw from the rig is pulling in about 55amps. While dry camping I would run the generator long enough in the mornings to make a pot of coffee and keep it warm. About 45 minutes which would also result in a fully charged battery.
                      This charge would run my rig with heat on for 24hours where I would end up with over 40% of battery reserve by the next morning. Your 200ah system will have plenty of reserve and would also easily power an inverter to operate the TV. I'm also planning to do the same to stream movies to the TV or through a DVD.

Welcome to the "I'm not listening to my generator all day club".

Jim
                      I plan on running the furnace tomorrow. Its going to be 39 F at night. We will see how much power that uses.

One interesting thing I notice today when the truck is turned off and the trailer is plugged in, their is a 3.4 amp load on the batteries. Its not the RV because I know that with the battery disconnect off I get zero amp being used. I wonder if those amps are being transfer to the truck batteries? I have to do some research.
                      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

I think the BMV-712 is my new toy. Love this thing. Anyway. Bellow is the picture of the fridge label showing no amp load in 12V. The fridge was using 1 amp for a about 30 min on start up and then almost nothing (0.6 amps). The screenshot of the Victron show 0.98 amp and of those, 0.38 is parasitic loads.
                        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

I plan on running the furnace tomorrow. Its going to be 39 F at night. We will see how much power that uses.

One interesting thing I notice today when the truck is turned off and the trailer is plugged in, their is a 3.4 amp load on the batteries. Its not the RV because I know that with the battery disconnect off I get zero amp being used. I wonder if those amps are being transfer to the truck batteries? I have to do some research.
                          Interesting you will experience 39F since this is exactly the temperatures I was experiencing on our last trip. With the truck plugged in and turned off, your Lithium battery may be back feeding to the truck. Your BMV712 can be used to confirm this.
                          I installed a Renogy 20 amp DCDC to isolate the truck from the battery in the rig and to charge with a lithium profile. There are several methods in handling the two battery types while being connected between the truck and trailer.

Jim

Comment

Interesting you will experience 39F since this is exactly the temperatures I was experiencing on our last trip. With the truck plugged in and turned off, your Lithium battery may be back feeding to the truck. Your BMV712 can be used to confirm this.
                            I installed a Renogy 20 amp DCDC to isolate the truck from the battery in the rig and to charge with a lithium profile. There are several methods in handling the two battery types while being connected between the truck and trailer.

Jim
                            Yes I just confirm this. The trailer is back feeding the truck batteries. I wasn’t planning on adding Renogy DC-DC charger right now but it seems my truck and RV have other plans. I think for now I am just going to disconnect the 12V aux wire from the 7 pin harness on the rv side.
                            2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

@Gieses
                              My first post in the forum, so I hope this is successful. I am interested in mimicking your Lithium configuration in a 2019 BH2800. I will soon obtain two UT1300s, as well as the BMV712 smart battery monitor. I already purchased an IOTA DLS 55/IQ4 55 AMP converter/charger. I am curious with the removal of the original converter/charger and the relocation of your converter/charger, did you require an extension cord to reach the original power supply for your converter charger? My converter/charger says no extensions cords allowed. Also, are the bus bars, T fuse, wiring, etc you used standard equipment at any electrical parts store? Finally, will my truck (2003 Ford F350 7.3 diesel, crew cab, long bed) charge these batteries while driving? Or will I require some form of DC to DC charger, as mentioned in the forum? I am sure I am forgetting some questions, but your response to these will suffice for now. Thanks, Doug
                              2019 Imagine 2800BH
                              2003 F350 7.3 Lariat CC LB SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X