New lithium batteries installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lithium batteries installed

We received our new 320 MKS fifth wheel in October then upgraded to 3 battleborn batteries and a VictronConnect inverter charger. I am still getting significant amps being used that is draining batteries. I have isolated the recliners so they are only on when we turn them on and have turned off the outside refrigerator that was using power. I haven’t yet disconnected the converter charger but don’t think it is the greatest cause for battery drain. Any suggestions?
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

In the power distribution panel you could turn off all of the 120 volt breakers and then turn each on one by one and see the amp draw of each , turn back off before turning the next one on. The water heater will draw quite a bit if on 120 volts. The recliners use a transformer , I think , but not sure what voltage they are reduced to.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
      We received our new 320 MKS fifth wheel in October then upgraded to 3 battleborn batteries and a VictronConnect inverter charger. I am still getting significant amps being used that is draining batteries. I have isolated the recliners so they are only on when we turn them on and have turned off the outside refrigerator that was using power. I haven’t yet disconnected the converter charger but don’t think it is the greatest cause for battery drain. Any suggestions?
      What model Victron?

Update: Just spotted your other thread where you wrote it's a VictronConnect 3000. Do you mean a MultiPlus 3000? Or possibly a MultiPlus-II GX 3000?

Click image for larger version

Name:	types.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	36976
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You would not want to power a converter with an inverter. This would draw significant power.

Jim

Comment

There are parasitic 12V draws. All of the detectors stay on and someone said the radio draws power even when off. You may also have a storage light on Take them off the auto on setting.

Hope this helps.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks for the great suggestions. I was wondering about the motion sensing aspects and just waiting for the weather to get above 40 to crawl back in the basement to disconnect the converter. Hoping to do some monitoring over the winter to eliminate as many “ghosts” as possible before cranking back up in the spring. How to have my Smart Phase Selector from AMSolar before then.
            Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What model Victron?

Update: Just spotted your other thread where you wrote it's a VictronConnect 3000. Do you mean a MultiPlus 3000? Or possibly a MultiPlus-II GX 3000?

Name:	types.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	36976
              howson,

We have the VictronConnect Multiplus 3000, paired to 3 batteries for now. Using the BMV-712 and dongle so we can use the app to monitor it all.

Comment

howson,

We have the VictronConnect Multiplus 3000, paired to 3 batteries for now. Using the BMV-712 and dongle so we can use the app to monitor it all.
                Perfect--that's what I have, too. But no GX device, huh? (Color Control or Digital Multi-Control?)

Name:	mc.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	37075Click image for larger version

Name:	CCGX.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	37076

I already forget which trailer you have--can you fill in your signature line, please? (You did read the welcome letter, right?)

When the Victron upgrade was installed in your trailer, did the installer remove or disconnect the OEM converter? If you're not sure, look on the circuit breaker panel in your trailer. Is there a breaker labeled "Converter"? If there is, turn it off (and leave it off) as suggested by Guest .

What is your BMV-712 reporting for a current draw at this point and what is turned on in the trailer?

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

50ST8R -- if possible, take a picture of the back of the BMV and post it, please. (It should need a "dongle"--bluetooth is built-in to the BMV-712. If you need a dongle the installer put in a BMV-700 or earlier which doesn't have built-in bluetooth.)

But that's trivia in the scheme of things at this point.

Comment

Howson—will do. Planning on trying to work on the electric a bit tomorrow anyway.

Comment

Howson—will do. Planning on trying to work on the electric a bit tomorrow anyway.
                      No problem, Kevin. I've messed with my system quite a bit, so feel free to fire away with questions. ncitro is also very knowledgeable about the Victron in your trailer--I'm sure we can help.

Also--please "tag" or "quote" when responding so I don't miss a post. (All the details are in the Welcome Letter.)

Howard

Comment

50ST8R -- if possible, take a picture of the back of the BMV and post it, please. (It should need a "dongle"--bluetooth is built-in to the BMV-712. If you need a dongle the installer put in a BMV-700 or earlier which doesn't have built-in bluetooth.)

But that's trivia in the scheme of things at this point.
                        howson, I did install the 712 as you can see here. The second pic is the batteries and inverter along with the board I mounted on the wall to hold my bus bars, fuses and disconnects. I basically used “All about RVs diagram and write in a manual switch while I am waiting for an SPS from AMSolar, but wondering about that after reading some posts here.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kevin,
                          I need to understand the setup a little better in order to provide a meaningful response. Please don't be offended by the directness of the questions--I mean no disrespect. I just don't understand some of the items I'm seeing based on my limited knowledge and experience.

1) Is the component attached to the Multiplus the MK3-USB interface? It's disconnected and unpowered from everything (including the Multiplus) when you're not programming the Multiplus, right?

2) It looks like the BMV is plugged into the Multiplus? Why? (To my knowledge it should be connected to the shunt.)

3) Above the batteries is what looks like the shunt for the BMV. Is that the temperature probe I've marked with a ?. If so, it appears to be connected to the inverter? It should be connected to the + on a battery to accurately measure temperature. (I learned this the hard way!)

4) What baseline did you use to program the Multiplus? Do you have screenshots of your settings?

Howard

Name:	image_5828.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	37244

Comment

Kevin,
                            I need to understand the setup a little better in order to provide a meaningful response. Please don't be offended by the directness of the questions--I mean no disrespect. I just don't understand some of the items I'm seeing based on my limited knowledge and experience.

1) Is the component attached to the Multiplus the MK3-USB interface? It's disconnected and unpowered from everything (including the Multiplus) when you're not programming the Multiplus, right?

2) It looks like the BMV is plugged into the Multiplus? Why? (To my knowledge it should be connected to the shunt.)

3) Above the batteries is what looks like the shunt for the BMV. Is that the temperature probe I've marked with a ?. If so, it appears to be connected to the inverter? It should be connected to the + on a battery to accurately measure temperature. (I learned this the hard way!)

4) What baseline did you use to program the Multiplus? Do you have screenshots of your settings?

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	37244
                            Howard, Just glad for some feedback on the system to help make sure it is correct. I prefer direct than dancing around anyway.
                            1. That is the VE Bus Smart dongle used in lieu of a controller for now. I use simply the app for controlling the Multiplus at this time. We will probably address running cables and relocating controls and BMV when I do solar later, hopefully 2021.
                            2. The BMV is actually plugged into the shunt but the over-abundance of RG cable needed to go somewhere so I placed it over the Multiplus.
                            3. Ouch I need to look at that tomorrow, yes I think it does go to Multiplus instead of battery positive. My error.
                            4. I went with all of the preset switches to start and haven’t made any changes to the settings. My plan was to connect with Battleborn to set up a good true baseline.

we simply wanted to get this on the road and after an almost week delay for delivery because of COVID at the dealer my timeline to set this up got extremely compressed and my patience too short to water good days in campsite rather than my driveway.

i appreciate the feedback and will start checking loads with the converter disconnected tomorrow. Weather next two days to be in upper 40s, much more bearable to working outside

Comment

1. That is the VE Bus Smart dongle used in lieu of a controller for now. I use simply the app for controlling the Multiplus at this time.
                              Very interesting--I didn't know that existed. There are multiple ways to configure the Multiplus--I started with MK3-USB and a laptop. It's now possible through an Android phone and the VictronConnect app with that same adapter. Having a bluetooth option is a nice choice.

The BMV is actually plugged into the shunt but the over-abundance of RG cable needed to go somewhere so I placed it over the Multiplus.
                              Now I see it!

I went with all of the preset switches to start and haven’t made any changes to the settings. My plan was to connect with Battleborn to set up a good true baseline.
                              If you want, take screenshots using your phone (easy on an Android...not sure about an iPhone) and post them here with how the inverter is configured. I'll then post the same screen as a comparison and then we can discuss any differences.

Also, please note the firmware version in your BMV-712 and also the version running in your Multiplus. That will make a difference. (My stuff updates through the laptop's internet through the MK3 adapter, and the BMV and MPPT through the CCGX's WiFi link.) The point is not how the update happens--the point it to make sure we're talking the same firmware version or it could get confusing.

Howard

P.S. My device firmware settings are below. I get a bit overzealous about Victron stuff...but I really like the CCGX (or any of the GX-enable devices) and their ability to connect through the internet for monitoring! This is what's happening in my system right this minute along with a history of the solar generation for the day. Easy to see the solar drop off once the batteries were fully charged.

Name:	Right Now.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	37305

Name:	BMV-712.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	37303

Name:	Multiplus.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	37304

Comment

Working...
                              X