Changing outlets to add USB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing outlets to add USB.

Our 22mle has one set of USB ports below the bed. Is it as simple as buying a couple of outlets with USB from Home Depot and replacing the existing receptacles?
    Last edited by howson; 01-03-2021, 01:47 PM.
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Assuming there's room in the box (if there is a box) why not?
    Maybe something like this.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
    2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

There probably is not a box to mount a USB duplex outlet into. RV's use an outlet that contains the wiring inside the outlet, and not a box. If you want to do this, you will need to remove the outlet and pull the wires. Next, make sure the wire is long enough for you to install into the new box. You'll likely have to cut the wires due to the insulation being damaged due to the old outlet's contact points.
      Then install an "old work" box in the wall. But some of the walls are too narrow to accommodate an old work box. Once the box is installed and the wires in place, you can install an outlet and cover plate. Technically, this is not up to code because the wire is not securely fastened to a stud within 12" of the box.

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
        Is it as simple as buying a couple of outlets with USB from Home Depot and replacing the existing receptacles?
        As Jim noted above...not so much. Another stumbling block is access to those outlets by the bed in your 22MLE. At the least you will need to remove the rear facing panel in your front storage section. I had mine off some time ago and marked the aluminum stud locations on the floor for future use (mounting/hangers) but I can't recall if there was access on the starboard side. The port side has the "docking station" but I can't remember if I saw those duplex outlets or not (it's hell getting old). Easier access is under the dinette seating. You can remove the cushions and bottom support to access the duplex (as well as the water pump and slide controller).

I'll attempt to attach a photo so you can see what you're dealing with.

Last edited by Capt Bob; 12-06-2020, 05:36 PM.
        Robert and Chris

Comment

I realize not the best pic but what you're looking at is what Jim described in his post above. Look real close and you will see a white "mounting clip" on the upper left corner of the duplex. This is what holds the unit in place.
          It can be done but an easier route might be a USB hub that allows multiple attachments. My wife and I just use our supplied phone chargers in the 12v sockets.Good luck.
          Robert and Chris

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
            Our 22mle has one set of USB ports below the bed. Is it as simple as buying a couple of outlets with USB from Home Depot and replacing the existing receptacles?
            As others have said...the outlets in our RVs are a nuisance. Once you've got it apart, don't expect to get it back together again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RV Outlet.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	37026

As needed the outlets in my camper were replaced with household 120v outlets. Most shallow boxes will fit (along with the slim outlets). But...the issue with using a 120v/USB outlet is most require a "deep" work boxes. There may be slim options, but I haven't seen them.

Other options?

What I took with me on my motorcycle (for use in a hotel) is an Anker 5-port charger. Small and easy to plug in to charge multiple devices (in my case phones, helmet communicators, etc). https://www.anker.com/products/varia...ort-5/A2124112

Click image for larger version  Name:	Anker.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	37023
            For a more permanent installation, check out TucsonJim and ckreef's very nice mods as documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...harger-upgrade

Using the google search "USB TucsonJim site:gdrvowners.com" I found several other threads on the topic including https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...-add-usb-ports

Let us know what you end up doing.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just finished soldering up a new 12V panel for installation in Paul & Deb (Paul)'s 2015 337. We'll install it at the Quartzsite rally in February. We included a volt meter, on/off switch and four 2.1 amp USB ports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paul 1.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	37034

Name:	Paul 2.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	37035

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I just finished soldering up a new 12V panel for installation in Paul & Deb (Paul)'s 2015 337. We'll install it at the Quartzsite rally in February. We included a volt meter, on/off switch and four 2.1 amp USB ports.
                JIm--do you have a parts list? I'd like to add this in to the modification list and I'm positive that will be question #1.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

JIm--do you have a parts list? I'd like to add this in to the modification list and I'm positive that will be question #1.
                  I sure do. The primary panel includes a duplex USB outlet and a 12V lighter style socket.
                  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...&psc=1&fpw=alm

A second dual USB outlet was swapped for the 12V accessory socket:
                  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSY5...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The devices come with crimp on connectors for making the connections, but I prefer to solder wire directly to the terminals. So solder and wire would be required too.

Note: There are higher current devices available for faster charging. 2.1 Amps works well for our application. If all four ports are drawing a total of 8.4 amps, it won't overload the existing wiring I tapped into.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                    We changed up the plans a bit and Jim sent me the panel so I will do it here at home. I have the bathroom wall paneling off for access and my space is tight but I have a couple options. BTW, whoever said removing this wall panel was easy without damaging it was a better man (or woman) than I am. There was NO good space to pry from and I booger up a couple spots at the very edges but I think they will be covered by the trim pieces when it all goes back together. I will post up a finished picture when I get finished.

BTW, can't say enough about my good friend Jim. He's just the best kind of friend!

Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

All done. It works great and looks factory. Here's a few more pictures.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Wow Paul, great job on the install. I just noticed the "Covid Camping" sign. LOL.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I decided to use 12v USB plugs so I can recharge my devices when boondocking. I found these on Amazon and they worked great. They charge at 2 amps and easily tapped into the nearby light’s power source. I put one next to both bedroom light fixtures and another in the kitchen above the hutch.

Got them from Amazon Canada but likely available everywhere.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob

Name:	E8C40137-583A-4A2F-A1F5-DE39ED3D4AC1.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	38206Click image for larger version

Name:	C92B24EF-B709-4052-BF99-D0638CBA21FB.jpeg
Views:	523
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	38207
                          2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                          2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

howson
                            A part substitution could also be:
                            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZZP2PT

Same dimensions as what Jim was using, but they have NO lights what so ever. (They are also Quick Charge 3, so if you have a compatible device, it will charge at High Speed (Faster than 2.4 Amps).

Just a note. QC tech ups the voltage. The amps stay the same. So it's the difference of 5v 2A normal charging is 10W, and 9v 2A fast charging is 18W. The same is 2A current but the power is very different.
                            Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                            X