Interior Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Lighting

One thing we’ve been less than thrilled with is the amount of light in the main living area. Just not enough light for the old eyes.

Didn’t want to add lamps, more things to worry about or put away when breaking camp. While adding lights in the ceiling was possible, never could come up with a pattern for additional lights that looked like they belonged.

Got lucky, finally found slightly larger lights with twice the wattage. What a difference. Fairly easy process:

1. Remove the old light.

2. Enlarge the whole.

3. Install the new lights.

The hole for the original lights was about 3 1/4 inches. The new lights need a 5 inch hole. Cut a 5” circle from a paper plate to use as a pattern and a rotozip to cut the hole.

Moderator note: Link to Warm White option Colan used is here: https://leisurervparts.com/5-pack-le...rm-warm-white/
    Last edited by howson; 02-07-2021, 08:48 AM.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Originally posted by colan View Post
    One thing we’ve been less than thrilled with is the amount of light in the main living area.
    I'm not sure what model you have but if I turned on all the lights in our main living area, I'd need to put on sunscreen. We have 7 lights on right now (main ceiling lights). I just counted and we have an additional 25 lights in the main living area that we don't use. The one thing our Solitude 310GK is not lacking is adequate lighting!

Your mod looks like a good upgrade though for those who don't have many lights in their RV. Thanks for sharing!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I'm not sure what model you have but if I turned on all the lights in our main living area, I'd need to put on sunscreen. We have 7 lights on right now (main ceiling lights). I just counted and we have an additional 25 lights in the main living area that we don't use. The one thing our Solitude 310GK is not lacking is adequate lighting!

Your mod looks like a good upgrade though for those who don't have many lights in their RV. Thanks for sharing!
      Brian - Colan has an earlier version Momentum....I do not recall the model. It would be great if he would add a signature. Like a few GDRVs in the early days, some models lighting was less than desired at times. In GDRV's approach to listen to customer feedback, later years versions are improved in many areas !

We met Colan at the 2019 National Rally as he was camped close to us. He also presented some seminars on maintenance items. He performs maintenance on the road as I recall and is quite knowledgeable and talented. Extremely nice guy !

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I assume that lighting is 12 volt? We have plenty as well. Would like to be able to tone it down some.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
          I assume that lighting is 12 volt? We have plenty as well. Would like to be able to tone it down some.
          You assume correctly!

Will you please take a picture of your Transcend's control panel (lighting control, battery indicator, tank levels, etc) and post it here?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

colan
            Installed the Leisure RV lights in the bedroom. I had an OEM light going bad (flickering--second one that failed) so decided to give these a try. Thank you for the product suggestion!

For those who like numbers, the below measurements were taken with an app called "Lux". I put the camera sensor right against the light's surface to take the measurement. The exact number is not important, it's the difference. The new lights, on maximum, have a 57% increase in lux*. What's really great is the low light setting (a dimmer was installed yesterday) is almost identical with the old vs new lights. What that means is the dynamic range of the new lights is greater, allowing a wider range of light intensity.

*From Wikipedia: The lux is the SI derived unit of illuminance, measuring luminous flux per unit area. It is equal to one lumen per square metre. In photometry, this is used as a measure of the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of light that hits or passes through a surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Measurements.JPG
Views:	1891
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	39430
            Colan is a professional, so I suspect the install (for me) was a more of an adventure. Definitely not a fast mod--would be easy to make a mistake.

Step 1 was to making a template and then drawing a pencil circle on the ceiling.

Name:	Template.JPG
Views:	1678
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	39431

Step 2: Ensure nothing was on the other side that would impeded installation. Hold the wires out of the way where necessary. Using a dremel* with a cutter bit and router attachment, cut out the extra ceiling area (with the DW holding a ShopVac near to capture the debris).

*There's probably a better way to do this. I used the tools I had on hand.

Name:	Cutting.JPG
Views:	1734
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	39432
            Step 3: Wire the new lights. Very easy--no pics necessary. I used new crimp butt connectors.

Side-By-Side Comparison (Unfortunately I didn't ensure camera settings were manually set to ensure an exact comparison...oops)

Name:	Max.JPG
Views:	1745
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	39434

Name:	Dimmed.JPG
Views:	1740
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	39433
            The DW really likes the new lights. The light is much more pleasing to the eye (hard to capture in a picture). Rudy -- don't worry, I won't let her show Andi.

Howard

P.S. I bought a set of ten lights, so tackling the six lights in the living room this afternoon. I'll try to do better with the before and after shots (manual setting on camera).
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The six lights in the living room are done. Comparison shots below.

FULL BRIGHT (there is a dimmer on this circuit)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Full.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	39442

FULL DIM

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dim.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	39440

Lights Off (so you can see how they look)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Off.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	39441

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You assume correctly!

Will you please take a picture of your Transcend's control panel (lighting control, battery indicator, tank levels, etc) and post it here?
                Somehow I missed your request, howson Howard. Sorry. Here is the before and after the installation of dimmer switches
                Attached Files
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Somehow I missed your request, howson Howard. Sorry. Here is the before and after the installation of dimmer switches
                  OK--so the CompassConnect system is not in your '21. Thank you! That helps fill a "knowledge gap".

Comment

howson Hey Howard: Sifting through several threads re: dimming ceiling lights but haven't solved my problem so hoped your experience in this area could help me.

Purchased 3 12v dimmers from Amazon which I found in another thread. 12vdc Dimmer Switch and then the switch adapters from Marty, also found in another thread.

Installed bedroom dimmer first & it took 3mins...works perfectly. Pretty nice feature!
                    Trying to install 2d dimmer for 8 ceiling lights and no beuno...
                    When wired as showed in instructions the ceiling lights do not work. Swapped wires thinking I reversed them & still nothing.

Illuminated ceiling switch has 3 wires:
                    --white appears to be ground to "light" the switch housing
                    -- 2 red wires into middle terminal, 12v power
                    -- 1 pink wire into bottom terminal, ground
                    Removed/isolated white wire and wired dimmer according to instructions & nothing. Thought dimmer was bad so quickly tested in bedroom & it's good.

What's weird is that with ceiling switch OFF/Lights OFF, when I disconnect the power wire from switch, all ceiling lights come on?!?
                    Is the Compass Connect system the cause of this?
                    Sending power to lights all the time, thus making the dimmer not useable?

Really wanted to dim the 8 ceiling lights...any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
                    Thanks
                    Matt

Sadie & Matt
                    (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
                    2021 303 RLS
                    2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
                    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_Gosselin View Post
                      howson Hey Howard: Sifting through several threads re: dimming ceiling lights but haven't solved my problem so hoped your experience in this area could help me.

Purchased 3 12v dimmers from Amazon which I found in another thread. 12vdc Dimmer Switch and then the switch adapters from Marty, also found in another thread.

Installed bedroom dimmer first & it took 3mins...works perfectly. Pretty nice feature!
                      Trying to install 2d dimmer for 8 ceiling lights and no beuno...
                      When wired as showed in instructions the ceiling lights do not work. Swapped wires thinking I reversed them & still nothing.

Illuminated ceiling switch has 3 wires:
                      --white appears to be ground to "light" the switch housing
                      -- 2 red wires into middle terminal, 12v power
                      -- 1 pink wire into bottom terminal, ground
                      Removed/isolated white wire and wired dimmer according to instructions & nothing. Thought dimmer was bad so quickly tested in bedroom & it's good.

What's weird is that with ceiling switch OFF/Lights OFF, when I disconnect the power wire from switch, all ceiling lights come on?!?
                      Is the Compass Connect system the cause of this?
                      Sending power to lights all the time, thus making the dimmer not useable?

Really wanted to dim the 8 ceiling lights...any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
                      Thanks
                      Matt
                      Hi Matt,
                      Yes, I suspect the issue you're having is related to the CompassConnect system in your trailer. Have you read this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...compassconnect

Without rehashing all the info in that thread, in brief: if a light (or series of lights) can be controlled by the CompassConnect panel and a manual switch, the switch does not directly power the lights. A dimmer won't work as all the switch does is provide a status to the input of the Unity board. The output of the Unity board provides power to the lights.

By the description in the post I suspect the bedroom lights are independent of the CompassConnect panel--is that correct?

Howard

Comment

howson Well, that’s a big bummer...I’d rather have a dimmer to control super bright ceiling lights than an app on my phone that only does on/off.

Thanks for sharing the other thread.
                        I read it but most of it is over my head, lol and I don’t know what board we have in our 2021 303 but it sounds like there isn’t an easy way to do what I hoped.

Wonder why GD decided to remove the capability from owners to dim lights...
                        Anyway, thanks for the help.
                        Matt

Sadie & Matt
                        (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
                        2021 303 RLS
                        2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
                        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_G View Post
                          howson Well, that’s a big bummer...I’d rather have a dimmer to control super bright ceiling lights than an app on my phone that only does on/off.

Thanks for sharing the other thread.
                          I read it but most of it is over my head, lol and I don’t know what board we have in our 2021 303 but it sounds like there isn’t an easy way to do what I hoped.

Wonder why GD decided to remove the capability from owners to dim lights...
                          Anyway, thanks for the help.
                          Matt
                          I *think* you have LCI's OneControl Unity1.5X. It does not have any dimmable outputs. The latching outputs turn components (like lights) on or off. The older trailers didn't have dimmable lights either, but it was easier to modify the trailer since the on/off switches pass power to the lights (versus a status signal to a computer board). In other words GD didn't "remove a capability"--the CompassConnect setup is actually quite clever, it 's just way harder for an owner to modify to dim lights.

I keep "harassing" our host every opportunity I get to add the dimming capability to their CompassConnect-enabled trailers. LCI has the technology built into the Unity X4, so it's definitely possible.

GDRV-Mariah … since this customer has a Reflection I'm tagging you. Please pass this customer's input to the Reflection team.

Comment

howson , I was just about to try to figure out how to add dimmers to my living room and kitchen areas in our 390. Both circuits are CC + wall switch. I remember an earlier thread with a wireless dimmer installed at the first light in the circuit from the CC. I remember (from the thread) that would work. Am I correct? Also, I tried to tag both you and S&M_G, but it would not take his handle. On another note, I tried the other day to install a facon duplex dimmer in place of existing duplex on our slideout LR light control. Dimmer wants power and ground in and out. Back of OEM switch has two wires crimped together at bottom of switch, and daisied over to other side, with also two crimped together. Top contact is single lead out. Not available on CC screen. Didn't have the time to try to meter all the connections at that time, but this did not look like the typical power in/power out 12 volt switch. Dimmer directions mention a "neutral". Any ideas?
                            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
                              I was just about to try to figure out how to add dimmers to my living room and kitchen areas in our 390. Both circuits are CC + wall switch. I remember an earlier thread with a wireless dimmer installed at the first light in the circuit from the CC. I remember (from the thread) that would work. Am I correct?
                              I haven't read or seen pictures showing this actually done, but theoretically it should work. Be extra careful if you choose to alter anything with the CompassConnect setup in your trailer--the parts are expensive.

I tried to tag both you and S&M_G, but it would not take his handle.
                              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...1213#post41213

On another note, I tried the other day to install a facon duplex dimmer in place of existing duplex on our slideout LR light control. Dimmer wants power and ground in and out. Back of OEM switch has two wires crimped together at bottom of switch, and daisied over to other side, with also two crimped together. Top contact is single lead out. Not available on CC screen. Didn't have the time to try to meter all the connections at that time, but this did not look like the typical power in/power out 12 volt switch. Dimmer directions mention a "neutral". Any ideas?
                              Hmmm..."neutral" is usually associated with 120v wiring. Are you sure the dimmer is for a 12v system? "Facon" is the same company that makes the lights GD uses, so it should be right. Solid white wires are typically the negative return, or ground, or "neutral". Some type of stripe on the wire typically indicates +12v.

Take a few pics and upload them. There are plenty of forum members that will be able to assist with this one. (I'll be out riding the motorcycle today!)

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X