Kitchen Galley and Range Hood Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Galley and Range Hood Lighting

I have a 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL and find the range hood and kitchen galley lighting less than desirable for my old eyes. Would like to ask for suggestions to improve brightness from the range hood and lighting under the cupboard. Suggestions please.

OTapia295
    Welcome to our owners technical forum!

There have been a lot of different range hood and under cabinet lights, over the years. Sometimes, it is as easy as changing the bulb to an LED . . . sometimes the fixture needs to be changed. If you could post a picture or two of what you have, this would help a lot. BTW . . . I can completely agree with "old eyes need more light" . . . I have brightened up most areas of my 2015 Reflection.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob, attached are photos of the gally. As you will see the hood is a Furron and the light has been turned on and the surface are is still very dim.

Comment

Originally posted by OTapia295 View Post
        Thanks Rob, attached are photos of the gally. As you will see the hood is a Furron and the light has been turned on and the surface are is still very dim.
        Based on the picture with the large FURRION across the front, using Grand Design's Parts Lookup website (link on the menu bar above) I think it's this part: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/40908

Searching Furrion's website led here: https://furrion.com/products/12v-duc...25e98950&_ss=r

On that page is a link to a manual. Unfortunately there's nothing in it about replacing the light, which the specifications state is an LED. (A whopping 1W LED--no wonder it's dim!)

On that same page is a Specifications PDF file with the size of the range hood. One option is to look at other range hoods that are the same size that have integral lights that meet your needs. Perhaps your dealer can recommend a product that will fit and look nice in the location.

If you're a creative DIYer, it might not be very hard to rig in a replacement LED that's brighter into the current hood, but that's pure speculation on my part. You'd be "breaking new ground". If you do go at it, be sure to document the project (please!) and share it with us.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

OTapia295 Welcome to the family and the forum!
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Alright, so I called Furrion the manufacturer for the range hood about lighting and they indicated that the 1watt light is the light they install on all their hoods. So I got on Amazon and ordered some 8" 12volt automotive accent lighting strips and replaced the hood light. I also installed a cheap 12volt led light under the cupboard and wired into the 12volt range hood supply. Had to pull the microwave out and drill a couple of holes on the bottom panel to get the wires over the support board that the hood screws onto. Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodLight (2).jpg
Views:	407
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	37734Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodLight (1).jpg
Views:	366
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	37735

Comment

OTapia295

I was able to increase brightness by replacing the original incandescent bulbs with brighter directional LED ones, in our earlier vintage range hood and above the counter space. I also added a "valance" that shields the brighter light and directs it downward towards the work surface. First picture is with range hood removed (while installing the tile backsplash) and second (unfortunately rather dark) picture is with the valence installed to the right of the re-installed hood, shielding the light above the counter.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	37738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	37739

Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                OTapia295

I was able to increase brightness by replacing the original incandescent bulbs with brighter directional LED ones, in our earlier vintage range hood and above the counter space. I also added a "valance" that shields the brighter light and directs it downward towards the work surface. First picture is with range hood removed (while installing the tile backsplash) and second (unfortunately rather dark) picture is with the valence installed to the right of the re-installed hood, shielding the light above the counter.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	37738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	37739
                The valance does appear to make a significant difference. Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                X