No announcement yet.

Understanding battery drain and current level from the Lippert control panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding battery drain and current level from the Lippert control panel

I am a new Solitude 310GK owner. I'm playing with the generator in the driveway (can't connect to shore power at the moment) and I'm trying to understand how the electrical systems work. So far so good! However, when I turn off the generator, the battery level indicated on the Convenience Center and in the Lippert One Control app shows that in 24h, the battery goes from full to low. I've experimented over the last few days with making sure everything is turned off and disconnected (first problem was the Inverter, last change was to turn off the battery inside the storage compartment), but the system still seems to be draining the battery based on the indicators on the convenience center. My concern is that over the course of just a few days, the battery will be completely drained, and I won't be able to operate the camper, especially the leveling system as I move to storage. I'm looking for insight into system operation and places where I need to be concerned.

I don't know much about the battery system, but what I do know is that there are systems that continuously run off the battery, like smoke and gas detectors and certain lights. So I'm following to get more insight.
    Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. One of the big fallacies with these rigs is that the "battery disconnect switch" actually disconnects the battery. Even without the LCI control panel, most rigs will have a dead battery in 5-10 days. Items like stereo memories, Lp gas detectors and other items are still connected when the switch is turned off. For long term storage, I'd recommend that you install a true disconnect switch to the battery that actually kills all circuits. Just understand that any electronic device memories may be impacted.

Jim

P.S. Since you're a new visitor to the forum, check out the welcome letter to help make navigating a little easier.
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

It is important to note that the emergency break away switch for the trailer brakes must have battery power while towing. If there is an alternate battery disconnect installed you must make sure that it does not disconnect the power to the emergency break away switch , ( trust me I did this) , while towing the trailer.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by M&T View Post
          I am a new Solitude 310GK owner. I'm playing with the generator in the driveway (can't connect to shore power at the moment) and I'm trying to understand how the electrical systems work. So far so good! However, when I turn off the generator, the battery level indicated on the Convenience Center and in the Lippert One Control app shows that in 24h, the battery goes from full to low. I've experimented over the last few days with making sure everything is turned off and disconnected (first problem was the Inverter, last change was to turn off the battery inside the storage compartment), but the system still seems to be draining the battery based on the indicators on the convenience center. My concern is that over the course of just a few days, the battery will be completely drained, and I won't be able to operate the camper, especially the leveling system as I move to storage. I'm looking for insight into system operation and places where I need to be concerned.
          Does the app or control panel actually show the amperage being consumed? If you could take a pic and post it that would be great. (Not familiar with a lot of the new panels on the new trailers.)

If your panel doesn't show amperage, a highly recommended upgrade is adding a true battery monitor. Many owners here have the Victron BMV-712. It clearly shows not only the voltage but the current (amperage) being consumed or added to the battery. Below is the state of my battery.

If interested there are many, many threads on the this subject here on the forum. Do a search for "BMV-712" and start reading!

Click image for larger version

Name:	VictronConnect.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	37870

There are less-expensive options, but the BMV is a great place to start if adding other electrical components is planned for the future (inverter, solar MPPT, etc).

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Comment

Here is a picture of the convenience center. The battery levels are checked by holding down the "BATT" button and one of the lights along the top light up to show the remaining battery. After running the generator, the battery showed "F" or what I assume is 12.3V. After 1 day, presumably with everything turned off, the batt level was at 1.2 or 11.2V. Yesterday, I turned the battery disconnect in the cargo area to off. That seemed to help preserve the battery level. I guess I worry that the batteries will go to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by M&T View Post
                Here is a picture of the convenience center. The battery levels are checked by holding down the "BATT" button and one of the lights along the top light up to show the remaining battery. After running the generator, the battery showed "F" or what I assume is 12.3V. After 1 day, presumably with everything turned off, the batt level was at 1.2 or 11.2V. Yesterday, I turned the battery disconnect in the cargo area to off. That seemed to help preserve the battery level. I guess I worry that the batteries will go to zero.
                If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Lead Acid, AGM or Lithium Battery? thread in the Electrical channel's Reference Material section. I just updated the post with battery-related information from TucsonJim . The info was extracted from his Solar 101 presentation.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

New owner of 2021 GD 311BHS (picked up 01/23/2021). First RV ever, my wife and I placed it directly for dealer to storage since we have HOA. We shutdown all and disconnected the Battery disengage from the basement compartment. Came back a week later to unpack linen and prep for a first outing and the battery was totally drained. Now the dealer stated that we have a residential Frig and the inverter was still engaged and it is most likely the culprit and it has its own shutoff - no where in the manual or diagrams do I see inverter or inverter switch.

Any input on its location or I was just going to go the route of installing a manual kill switch in the battery compartment to disengage the battery totally.

Thanks!

John

John & Carolyn
                  2020 F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew
                  2021 Grand Design 311BHS

Comment

Originally posted by J & C Hill View Post
                    New owner of 2021 GD 311BHS (picked up 01/23/2021). First RV ever, my wife and I placed it directly for dealer to storage since we have HOA. We shutdown all and disconnected the Battery disengage from the basement compartment. Came back a week later to unpack linen and prep for a first outing and the battery was totally drained. Now the dealer stated that we have a residential Frig and the inverter was still engaged and it is most likely the culprit and it has its own shutoff - no where in the manual or diagrams do I see inverter or inverter switch.

Any input on its location or I was just going to go the route of installing a manual kill switch in the battery compartment to disengage the battery totally.

Thanks!

John

John & Carolyn
                    2021 Grand Design 311BHS
                    Welcome, John & Carolyn! Since you have a sig line I suspect you've already read it, but as is my norm when an owner makes their first post I point them to the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members to learn about this forum.

To your question: I'm not surprised your main refrigerator in the 311BHS is a residential even though the specs show it is normally an "RV" model. What model refrigerator is in your unit? The parts list for your 311BHS (link on menu bar above) only shows a Norcold ("RV") refrigerator.

Why the residential? Informed speculation: GD couldn't get an RV frig so they substituted a residential model, which necessitated an inverter so it can run the frig when disconnected from shore power. Having a residential could be a very nice upgrade...or a bad one, depending on how you'll use your RV. Too much to discuss in this first response.

When you took delivery of your RV, did the dealer give you a black bag full of paperwork from GD? Inside that bag should be a "build sheet" with all the items and serial numbers for the appliances. If you didn't get this sheet, give Grand Design Customer Service a call. They can not only get you a copy but can answer your specific question about location of the inverter, as it is not a standard install in a 311BHS. GD's number is on the "Business Card" on the home page of this forum.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by J & C Hill View Post

Thanks!

John

John & Carolyn
                      2021 Grand Design 311BHS
                      I agree with Howard but also would point out that the disconnect switch does not kill everything in the rig. If you just have one group 24 battery even without the residential fridge the battery might die in a week with the switch killed. Most people either install a true disconnect switch or pull one of the battery cables when putting it into storage.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

and M&T, Welcome to the family and the forum! I see that this is your first post When you have time, the moderators have put together a welcome letter to help newcomers navigate the forum and get the most from it. Here is the link to the letter. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                        Last edited by howson; 01-29-2021, 08:43 AM. Reason: Fixed tags. See Tag a Forum Member in the Forum Use channel for how to use the USER tag. (I think the "&" symbol in their usernames confused the @ tagging process).
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X