Lighting Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting Enhancements

Have to admit, I'm NOT a fan of typical RV lighting components.
    In the last home we owned I tinkered with most of the lighting and had installed things like remote control switches for the wall sconces in the master bedroom, programmable fan controls that would turn on the ceiling fan if a certain temperature was reached, and it even had features for turning the lights on the fan on & off when we were away to someone would think we were home - but we had phenomenal neighbors so never worried about this feature.
    Dining room had a custom light fixture over the table with blown glass pendants and LED track lighting which transitioned into the kitchen with a similar style of track lighting but also incorporated some additional elements for the pot rack which hung over the center island.
    Yeah - I'm THAT guy when it comes to lighting & lighting controls.

Have struggled with finding ways to enhance the lighting in our RV but so far have had zero luck finding much for options?
    Did land on an idea for the rather basic, ugly, and unappealing "puck" lights as I refer to them in our dining and living area that has gone through a few experiments with paper & plastic..... but recently landed on an idea that, of all things, uses small plastic flower pots.

Pictures below - still working out a few details on how to cut the bottoms out of them so they fit nicely over the "puck" lights - if others have an interest I'll follow up with some additional information on how to do the same for their RV?
    And, if anyone has information on where to buy things like this so I don't have to create them, information gladly accepted!
    Of particular interest are components for dimmable lighting. Imagine how nice it would be to lower the lighting levels in the evening while watching a movie or relaxing, but able to increase it when fixing dinner or doing something that needed higher light levels.
    Chris Click image for larger version  Name:	20201223_174249.jpg Views:	261 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	38551Click image for larger version  Name:	20201223_174320.jpg Views:	153 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	38552
    Last edited by howson; 01-03-2021, 01:52 PM.
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Looks good so far..
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

TheNescios -- clever, Chris! Yes, please, document your ideas.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
        Have to admit, I'm NOT a fan of typical RV lighting components.
        In the last home we owned I tinkered with most of the lighting and had installed things like remote control switches for the wall sconces in the master bedroom, programmable fan controls that would turn on the ceiling fan if a certain temperature was reached, and it even had features for turning the lights on the fan on & off when we were away to someone would think we were home - but we had phenomenal neighbors so never worried about this feature.
        Dining room had a custom light fixture over the table with blown glass pendants and LED track lighting which transitioned into the kitchen with a similar style of track lighting but also incorporated some additional elements for the pot rack which hung over the center island.
        Yeah - I'm THAT guy when it comes to lighting & lighting controls.

Have struggled with finding ways to enhance the lighting in our RV but so far have had zero luck finding much for options?
        Did land on an idea for the rather basic, ugly, and unappealing "puck" lights as I refer to them in our dining and living area that has gone through a few experiments with paper & plastic..... but recently landed on an idea that, of all things, uses small plastic flower pots.

Pictures below - still working out a few details on how to cut the bottoms out of them so they fit nicely over the "puck" lights - if others have an interest I'll follow up with some additional information on how to do the same for their RV?
        And, if anyone has information on where to buy things like this so I don't have to create them, information gladly accepted!
        Of particular interest are components for dimmable lighting. Imagine how nice it would be to lower the lighting levels in the evening while watching a movie or relaxing, but able to increase it when fixing dinner or doing something that needed higher light levels.
        Chris Click image for larger version  Name:	20201223_174249.jpg Views:	117 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	38551Click image for larger version  Name:	20201223_174320.jpg Views:	73 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	38552
        Nice bit of innovation! Those look good.
        I have had good luck with Facon dimmers in our unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmer-Switch...MEANDKRJSREWDB

They come in single and double switch configuration. So far I am very happy. Takes the harshness out of the LEDs.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the dimmer info!
          Need to figure out if our lights are dimmer compatible/capable and then move this project forward.
          We're in the middle of getting ready for our first longer trip - leaving this Friday for a 1600 mile adventure to southern AZ to escape the "bird pee" (rain) in western WA so will need to wait until we get settled down there to keep tinkering with this.
          The covers for the lights are just simple plastic flower pots and I'm on my 3rd method of cutting them to allow the puck lights to fit through them - haven't quite gotten the perfect dimensions/method so when they're installed you don't see the cutout if you happen to look straight up at it.
          Other issue is the plastic is a bit brittle so a bit of care is needed to keep it from cracking/splintering - but at $1.43 each it hurts the ego more than the wallet when I need to keep experimenting.
          Chris
          Chris
          2019 Solitude 3740BH
          2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
          X