Battery Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Upgrade

If I upgrade to Battleborn 12v battery do I need to change the charger or anything else? I am looking to upgrade my battery and currently have one 12V Lead acid battery and looking to either go 2 6V golf cart batteries or one 12v LiFePO4 battery. I know the advantages and disadvantages of each and trying to figure out what's best for my situation.

The cost of the Battleborn is already steep so wanted to make sure I knew what I am getting into first.
    Bryan
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
    2021 260RD Reflection 150 Series

Originally posted by CampingBryan View Post
    If I upgrade to Battleborn 12v battery do I need to change the charger or anything else? I am looking to upgrade my battery and currently have one 12V Lead acid battery and looking to either go 2 6V golf cart batteries or one 12v LiFePO4 battery. I know the advantages and disadvantages of each and trying to figure out what's best for my situation.

The cost of the Battleborn is already steep so wanted to make sure I knew what I am getting into first.
    It is advisable to switch to a lithium dedicated converter/charger. Your LiFePO4 batteries will charge much quicker. Your standard converter will work, so you don't have to change right away, but I'd switch over when you get a chance.

BTW, quite a few folks have been purchasing the Lion LiFePO4 batteries from Costco when they have them in stock. They are a little less costly than the BB, have a good warranty and about 105 amp hours of power. it might be worth looking into.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

It is advisable to switch to a lithium dedicated converter/charger. Your LiFePO4 batteries will charge much quicker. Your standard converter will work, so you don't have to change right away, but I'd switch over when you get a chance.

BTW, quite a few folks have been purchasing the Lion LiFePO4 batteries from Costco when they have them in stock. They are a little less costly than the BB, have a good warranty and about 105 amp hours of power. it might be worth looking into.

Jim
      I didn't know Costco carried LiFePO4 batteries. I will have to go and check my local one.

What is the recommended ​​​​​​​converter/charger?
      Bryan

Comment

I didn't know Costco carried LiFePO4 batteries. I will have to go and check my local one.

What is the recommended converter/charger?
        Bryan - I like Progressive Dynamics brand. If you can locate the model number off of your existing WFCO controller, I can recommend the correct Progressive Dynamics model.

​​​​​​​Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

GEEZ, I am way behind Not having solar on my radar for the near future and honestly not actively researching the products, When I searched for the batteries and my first thought was HSSB!!!!

And that leaves another question for another thread...... A battery that offers an installment plan???
          Last edited by ThePowells; 12-27-2020, 09:29 PM.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

What is the recommended converter/charger?
            Fyi I don't think they carry then I'm the stores, I think it's online only. Great deal though. I have six I got from another seller for a sheep promo last year, and the Costco price for two is almost as good as say I paid. Looks like they do not have them right now, they seem to come and go every couple months.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Bryan - I like Progressive Dynamics brand. If you can locate the model number off of your existing WFCO controller, I can recommend the correct Progressive Dynamics model.

Jim
              I was snooping around on the internet last night and saw the Progressive Dynamics brand. I will try to get the model umber off of my WFCO when the rain stops here.
              Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                GEEZ, I am way behind Not having solar on my radar for the near future and honestly not actively researching the products, When I searched for the batteries and my first thought was HSSB!!!!

And that leaves another question for another thread...... A battery that offers an installment plan???
                I wish I knew what HSSB meant... Holy shirt........something, something?

I'm with you on the LiFePO4 batteries. At the present price point I will be using my generator...which cost less than one of those BB batteries....

I'm thinking two Trojan T-105's would be decent power storage?
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I wish I knew what HSSB meant... Holy shirt........something, something?

I'm with you on the LiFePO4 batteries. At the present price point I will be using my generator...which cost less than one of those BB batteries....

I'm thinking two Trojan T-105's would be decent power storage?

I hear you and I felt the same way. We had four golf cart batteries for the first two years. They were fine, but maintenance is not my strong suit and I let them die a few times. The capacity started falling off, and when I did my solar project I jumped on a chance to get four of the Lion energy batteries at about $600 each when the opportunity came up.

I've heard stories of people who get ten years out of their golf cart batteries by taking good care of them but it was not my experience. The other benefit that I've really grown to love is the charge rate. They take the full 125 amps my charger gives them right up to 99%. This significantly cuts down on generator run time or allows me to do a quick top off before we go to bed and get 60ah back in just a half hour.

They're pricy and not for everyone, but depending on your use case and how you camp (we camp dry probably better than half the time) they can be a huge asset.
                  Last edited by ncitro; 12-28-2020, 07:28 PM.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X