Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery replacement size group 24 or 27?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery replacement size group 24 or 27?

WRT 2020 Imagine 2250RK: Its about time to replace my original batteries with the AGM style as it’s becoming a PITA to check and fill them every month. Yes, I know, it’s not that big of a deal, however I have a 3 pc locking anti theft device on mine so it’s not as fast and simple as one may expect. I’m looking for an Imagine (or otherwise knowledgeable respondent) owner who has already replaced their OEM batteries and can recommend that I should go with the group 24 or group 27, and why/why not. Once I’ve removed the anti theft device, cables, and batteries, I can take the necessary measurements to help with this decision but at the moment I’m just trying to get some advanced information to help me prepare. Much thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute. Travel safe!!
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Batteries are installed by dealerships and there is no standard. Even though GDRV recommends dealers install a group 27 battery, your dealer may have installed a group 24. I've seen this quite often. So another 2250RK owner may have a group 24 and you have a 27, or vice versa. If it were me, I'd purchase a group 27. In addition, your dealer may have used a group 27 battery box with a group 24 battery on the inside. If they used a group 24 battery and you purchase a 27, you'll need to change the box too.

And going from a lead acid to an AGM is a huge improvement. As you already know, AGMs are truly maintenance free. And they also last much longer and you can discharge them a little more than a lead acid. I used AGM batteries successfully for many years.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
      WRT 2020 Imagine 2250RK: Its about time to replace my original batteries with the AGM style as it’s becoming a PITA to check and fill them every month. Yes, I know, it’s not that big of a deal, however I have a 3 pc locking anti theft device on mine so it’s not as fast and simple as one may expect. I’m looking for an Imagine (or otherwise knowledgeable respondent) owner who has already replaced their OEM batteries and can recommend that I should go with the group 24 or group 27, and why/why not. Once I’ve removed the anti theft device, cables, and batteries, I can take the necessary measurements to help with this decision but at the moment I’m just trying to get some advanced information to help me prepare. Much thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute. Travel safe!!
      Dave--have you reviewed the battery info in the Electrical channel's Reference Material section? Hopefully something there will help with your decision (though I don't think it goes into a group 24 vs 27 discussion).

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Batteries are installed by dealerships and there is no standard. Even though GDRV recommends dealers install a group 27 battery, your dealer may have installed a group 24. I've seen this quite often. So another 2250RK owner may have a group 24 and you have a 27, or vice versa. If it were me, I'd purchase a group 27. In addition, your dealer may have used a group 27 battery box with a group 24 battery on the inside. If they used a group 24 battery and you purchase a 27, you'll need to change the box too.

And going from a lead acid to an AGM is a huge improvement. As you already know, AGMs are truly maintenance free. And they also last much longer and you can discharge them a little more than a lead acid. I used AGM batteries successfully for many years.

Jim
        much thanks Jim
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Dave--have you reviewed the battery info in the Electrical channel's Reference Material section? Hopefully something there will help with your decision (though I don't think it goes into a group 24 vs 27 discussion).

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery

Howard
          thanks Howard, appreciate that.

Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

I upgraded to two Group 27 and added a watering system from RVupgrades.com.

Comment

Schiefswret

I seen in your other post about replacing the batteries. I am just curious which battery that you installed , size and brand?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hello Brian, here ya go:

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 24 Dual purpose. 78 AH, 52.4lbs, 10.875 L, 6.75 W, 9.875 H
                Model SLI24MAGMDC, 30 Month free replacement warranty. Got these at Batteries + Bulbs in Tampa Bay area.
                $204.99 ea, 10% Military Discount, 18$ x 2 core charge unless you have cores to bring in.

Good luck Brian.

btw: naturally this model is not for everyone nor every situation but after a TON of research this model seemed to be the best choice for my situation and the best bang for the buck that I could find at the time of purchase.
                Last edited by Schiefswret; 12-30-2020, 06:47 PM.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                X