Adding second light over bathroom sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding second light over bathroom sink

I've had a problem with the light over the bathroom sink in all three of our Grand Design 5th wheels. In some cases the light was behind our head while standing at the sink. In others (like our current Solitude 310GK-R), there is one light offset to the right. In the past I used a stick up LED light to help with illumination. That worked but it wasn't a great solution and certainly didn't look OEM.

Since I have some spare 4.5" ceiling lights I decided to add a second light over the bathroom sink on the left side to balance out the lighting. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being the easiest, this modification is a 1. It took me 25 minutes but I could have done it in less than 15 if pressed.

Materials needed:
    4.5" LED "mouse trap" style ceiling light
    20" of wire
    Wire connectors

Tools needed:
    Wire cutter and stripper
    Dremel (or some other tool to cut hole in ceiling)

I'm hesitant to document the work since it's so simple but I'll do it for anybody with less skills than me. I'm not sure if that's possible but here goes....

1- Remove the existing ceiling light. Make sure there are no obstructions in the location you want to add the light.
    2- Mark the location where you want to cut the hole and make the cut. I used a Dremel cutting wheel and it worked great.
    3- Add the extra length of wire to the new light and then run this wire in the ceiling to the location of the existing light
    4- Connect the new light to the existing light using whatever style connecters you prefer
    5- Snap lights back into ceiling
    6- Ask yourself why you didn't do this sooner

This is where I want to add the new light
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3042.jpg Views:	98 Size:	188.1 KB ID:	38867

Existing light showing the "mouse trap" style spring clips
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3044.jpg Views:	51 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	38868

Mark location of new light
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3045.jpg Views:	51 Size:	200.5 KB ID:	38869

New hole cut out
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3046.jpg Views:	50 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	38870

New light installed
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3047.jpg Views:	50 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	38871

It works!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3048.jpg Views:	50 Size:	166.0 KB ID:	38872
    Last edited by howson; 01-03-2021, 01:48 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Looks great. Just like it should. Good job.
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Comment

Thanks for this post. I have a 2970RL and there are no lights above the medicine cabinet. I have already purchased the lights and will install the. Next time I have the trailer at home.

I appreciate your first pic because I can see what appears to be the bottom of the roof truss. I'll need to figure out where mine is before I cut the holes. I'll be able to locate the truss when I remove the trim ring from the vent.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Brian - nicely done - simple and easy-peasy ! If you want to add even more light on the side of the mirror, Rob Cate&Rob can help you spend a little more money and time ! On your 310 you may be able to add one light.......Rob added one on each side of the mirror since could be one on our 303 layout.

I think Rob wanted more light to ensure his hair was combed just right !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Another alternative for improved lighting at the bathroom sink.
          https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...anity-lighting

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X