Surge protector with epo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge protector with epo

I currently have and used a Hughes mobile surge protector w/o epo. I want to keep using the mobile unit to check the power pedestal before i hook up the trailer. Can a mobile unit still be used if I install a hardwired surge protector with epo?

Originally posted by CHASING SUNSETS TOUR 2020 View Post
    I currently have and used a Hughes mobile surge protector w/o epo. I want to keep using the mobile unit to check the power pedestal before i hook up the trailer. Can a mobile unit still be used if I install a hardwired surge protector with epo?
    Yes the mobile unit can still be used. I would plug it into the pedestal to check the wiring then unplug and plug in your power cord with out the mobile device. I am not sure if the mobile device and the hard wired unit will play nice together ,but you could try it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Rather than just adding a second surge protector with the EPO (emergency power off) feature, have you considered a more-comprehensive power protection system?

Likely the most popular single device in the RV power protection realm is this one:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

It offers protection from the moment you plug in and doesn't allow power to get to the trailer's systems until it has analyzed it and determined that it's safe, so there's no need to first plug in a surge protector at the pedestal.

Like the EPO device you're probably considering, this one also shuts off power to the trailer at any time it detects problems with the incoming power supply, and then restores it when power supply problems have ceased. It includes a display that can be mounted either inside the trailer or - my preference - near the shore power connector and will report with error codes any issues it detects with incoming power.

Others have reported excellent support and service from the manufacturer, but we haven't had any trouble with ours in over three years.

The same manufacturer sells a pedestal version of the above product if you're in love with the pedestal idea, but two devices would be unnecessary overkill IMO.

Good luck with your choices.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Welcome to the family and the forum!! Not knowing a lot about the Hughes surge protector, my suggestion would be the Progressive. The only difference is pulling out your cord and hooking to the pedestal. The Progressive will be way past adequate for what you want.

I'm not sue if anyone has shared this with you, but as part of your welcome package, the internet sages (aka Moderators) have created a letter that will help you with getting the mostest (no hostess) from the forum. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I currently have and used a Hughes mobile surge protector w/o epo.
          Since you are familiar with the Hughes model, the Watchdog is their product that I have hardwired in my rig. The bluetooth feature has limited range but the replaceable surge module is a nice touch. The DW just lets me know if the" dog" is red or white when I plug into the ped. Monitors just like the other brands on the market. Fairly reasonable price point also.
          Robert and Chris
          2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
          2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X