Battery swap-out procedure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery swap-out procedure question

Greetings all. I anticipate changing out my old(er) batteries today for two new AGM’s. I’m plugged into a dedicated 30Amp/110v circuit at my house where I store the RV. My question is; is there any danger associated with leaving the rig plugged in during the swap process (will also do some rust removal and painting in the same area) and what precautions would be recommended? I’m prepared to keep the Pos and Negs separate and secured but any other precautions or suggestions would be appreciated. Much thanks in advance.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Greetings all. I anticipate changing out my old(er) batteries today for two new AGM’s. I’m plugged into a dedicated 30Amp/110v circuit at my house where I store the RV. My question is; is there any danger associated with leaving the rig plugged in during the swap process (will also do some rust removal and painting in the same area) and what precautions would be recommended? I’m prepared to keep the Pos and Negs separate and secured but any other precautions or suggestions would be appreciated. Much thanks in advance.
    Hi Dave,
    It would definitely be safest to unplug shore power while changing the batteries. Not absolutely necessary but still a good idea. Is there a reason that you don't want to do this?
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hey Rob, only reason is that our Son is staying in the RV for a week or so so I’d like to keep the fridge on (I know I can run off LP) and here in FL I keep the dehumidifier and the AC on most of the time. Otherwise no reason(s). Other than general safety concerns, is there any specific risks you can mention that I should be aware of? Additional comments/observations welcomed.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret -- when plugged into shore power the converter in your RV will generate 12vDC both to charge and supplement the battery. The converter's 12vDC will "sit" on your battery cable connections, even when disconnected from the battery. You might be able to use the battery disconnect to severe the converter/battery cable connection but testing with a multimeter is required to make sure.

Bottom line: don't give the "blue smoke" a path to escape from inside the wires.

Given the relatively short window required to swap batteries the safest method is to shut off all power.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Gotcha. I’ve opted to secure the shore power and appreciate your advice. Thanks again and Stay safe.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret

Hi Dave,

You do need 12V for the control circuits to run the fridge (on either electric or propane). As Howard notes, turning off the main battery switch will isolate "most" of the 12V circuits and leave these operating from the converter . . . if this is absolutely necessary. The safest is to disconnect shore power for the short time that it takes to change the batteries (in my opinion).

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Gotcha Rob. appreciate the input. Project completed. Took longer than anyone would imagine because I needed to wire brush off the peeling paint and rust caused by (I suspect) my overfilling the old flooded lead acid batteries. Installed two new AGM’s, cleaned connections where applicable, prepped and repainted the Battery Shackle locking mechanism and we are back in business. Next is to swap out the original / prior model Furrion Rear Observation Camera for the Furrion Vision S 7 inch model and we will be almost ready to go. Thanks all for the suggestions and advice of caution.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
              X