110 shore power to keep batteries charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 shore power to keep batteries charged

Good afternoon all, My wife and I recently purchased a 2020 310GK R solitude.
    i was told be the dealer that you can plug it into 110 to keep the batteries charged. This is not uncommon to me since we could do it with our old one. The dealer told us to turn off the switch in the compartment and the main breakers and plug it in. Is that correct? We were told that you could turn on the refrigerator the night before by turning on the shutoff switch and turn on the inverter to supply power to the refrigerator to cool it down. The reason I ask is I have done what the dealer suggested and it seems my batteries are not charging. Thanks for the help.
    2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R

The shut off switch should be turned on, and all the breakers too. There is no reason to ever shut then off.
    Your dealer gave you some incorrect advice.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you sir
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

So I assume the only time you would want to shut off the switch in the compartment is for maintenance or if you were not going to plug it in so you could keep the batteries from draining is that a fair assumption?
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by drifterranch View Post
          So I assume the only time you would want to shut off the switch in the compartment is for maintenance or if you were not going to plug it in so you could keep the batteries from draining is that a fair assumption?
          Not quite. Your owner's manual says if you'll be disconnected from shore power for an extended time to disconnect the negative cable from your battery, too. The reason is there are circuits still energized when the disconnect is used (smoke detectors, etc). The small amount of power drain will, over time, kill your battery.

What your dealer *might* have been trying to convey is you have to be careful how many amps you are pulling when your camper is plugged into a standard household outlet. Assuming the house circuit is on a 15 amp breaker, it would be easy to turn on too many devices in the camper resulting in a popped household breaker.

One final thought--you must have 12vDC going to your refrigerator (meaning the power disconnect is engaged) or the control circuits in the refrigerator will not work. 12vDC is required whether you're on propane or 110vAC.

Hope this helps.

-Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you sir I have turned on the main breakers, and out of an abundance of caution turned off all the breakers except the inverter and converter. It seems to be charging the batteries now.
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by drifterranch View Post
              Thank you sir I have turned on the main breakers, and out of an abundance of caution turned off all the breakers except the inverter and converter. It seems to be charging the batteries now.
              The converter is the battery charger. It takes 120V shorepower and uses it to charge the batteries. The inverter takes 12V power from the batteries and supplies 120V to the fridge and other circuits. The inverter should be turned off and the circuit breakers for shorepower to the converter (and the fridge if you have enough power) should be turned on to make best use of 15A plug in power.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you sir
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Hi there, I also got a 310GK recently but my fridge works on AC and propane so when I'm hooked to power it automatically switches to AC as long as I have the master switch inside the cargo bay on... I also found out when you are travelling and are hooked up to your truck you get the power from the truck (alternator) and I think also it will charge marginally your batteries which will be an ideal thing as long as your truck is wired to the 7 pin connector for that.

Now I have a question for you: since you are towing your 310 with a 3/4 diesel the same as me with the only difference I have a Chevy 3/4 diesel... so do you feel comfortable towing it ? I'm asking that since I posted this question in this forum and by the answers I got it seems that these FW may call for a 1 ton truck even tough they are the "baby" of the Solitude line and I can be max out on a 3/4..., it will be interesting to get the opinion of someone that has the same set up as me.

Regards,

Adrian

2018 Solitude 310GK
                  2015 2500 Chevy Duramax HD diesel SRW stock

Comment

It pulls fine, although we have not gone on any long trips yet. The longest trip has been about 60 miles and that is when we picked it up and brought it home. It is back at the dealer getting the bad breaker fixed along with a number of other items. So I guess it about 120 miles now. I ordered my F250 for towing with the tow prep package and heavier suspension. I also have twin alternators. I have installed airbags only to improve the overall ride. I keep 5lbs in them. It pulls well and has no problem with acceleration. Since I have a short bed I am using a Democ auto slide hitch. I will post an update in a few weeks and over the holidays we are going to take about a 1,000 mile trip.
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you have some glitches on your new coach hope they get fixed soon, I also have double alternators in my truck and air bags and last trip I kept them at 50 lbs and the setup was completely level and the ride less bumpy, the same my longest trip so far was about 650 km and to get in an out of the campground there was a mean hill that last about 5 miles and the truck hold it well with the exhaust brake on going down and going up was ok but I didn't have to worry about getting a speeding tkt LOL! I guess you aspect this when you haul 13 tons behind you with that amount of grade...

I'm also planning to take it down south in October for the winter and my next dilemma will be if I winterize for the 5 days trip since this coach is supposed to have an "arctic package" and will be nice to be able to use it instead of staying overnight in motels ....it guess it will all depend how cold it will get this October in Alberta since last year even in November we still had above freezing temps during the day so will see...

Take care and congrats on your new coach,

Regards

Adrian

Comment

Thank you sir I hope your travels go well. One last note, before this we had a Avion FW and pulled with a Ford diesel, long wheel base SRW 1 ton. Loaded it weighed about the same and it pulled terrible, the tongue weight was more then this one and I had to install addition springs in the rear to handle it. Stay safe
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Not quite. Your owner's manual says if you'll be disconnected from shore power for an extended time to disconnect the negative cable from your battery, too. The reason is there are circuits still energized when the disconnect is used (smoke detectors, etc). The small amount of power drain will, over time, kill your battery.

What your dealer *might* have been trying to convey is you have to be careful how many amps you are pulling when your camper is plugged into a standard household outlet. Assuming the house circuit is on a 15 amp breaker, it would be easy to turn on too many devices in the camper resulting in a popped household breaker.

One final thought--you must have 12vDC going to your refrigerator (meaning the power disconnect is engaged) or the control circuits in the refrigerator will not work. 12vDC is required whether you're on propane or 110vAC.

Hope this helps.

-Howard
                          Howard is mostly correct.

Drifter has a residential refrigerator. It still does need 12v when traveling, but for the stock inverter for the frig. 1 battery will not last very long if not being charged in some way ( dc from truck going down the road, dc from converter when plug to post or solar).

A better converter is a good idea. I put aPD9260C – 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger. It takes better care of the batteries. KEN
                          2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
                          Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
                          10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Originally posted by orbiker View Post

Howard is mostly correct.

Drifter has a residential refrigerator. It still does need 12v when traveling, but for the stock inverter for the frig. 1 battery will not last very long if not being charged in some way ( dc from truck going down the road, dc from converter when plug to post or solar).

A better converter is a good idea. I put aPD9260C – 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger. It takes better care of the batteries. KEN
                            Dang it--missed that nuance. Thanks for updating this thread.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for your response
                              2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Working...
                              X