New inverter/charger set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New inverter/charger set up

We have a brand new 2021 22MLE. I want to install 2 Battle Born 100 A Hour batteries and a GP-ISW3000-12 Go Power! Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter - RV Ready - 3000 Watt - 12 Volt. The inverter will be installed in the front pass through near the water and other connections. My plan is to put a 30 A plug on the back of the inverter. When we do not have shore power, I will plug into the inverter and run this to the back electrical input on the RV using our power cord. I do not see needing a transfer switch because we will only be on one 120 V source at a time.

Does anyone see any issues with this?
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Getting an inverter/charger allows you to remove your existing converter. With your setup you won’t have that choice because you will not be feeding AC power into the Inverter/charger in order to use it in charger mode (if I understand correctly what you are trying to do).

Hard wiring it is pretty straight forward.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
      We have a brand new 2021 22MLE. I want to install 2 Battle Born 100 A Hour batteries and a GP-ISW3000-12 Go Power! Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter - RV Ready - 3000 Watt - 12 Volt. The inverter will be installed in the front pass through near the water and other connections. My plan is to put a 30 A plug on the back of the inverter. When we do not have shore power, I will plug into the inverter and run this to the back electrical input on the RV using our power cord. I do not see needing a transfer switch because we will only be on one 120 V source at a time.

I don't see a problem with it as long as you disable the OEM converter that came with the RV. I ran my rig like this for several years before finally hard wiring it.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post

Inputs below are meant to help, not be criticism.

First issue is pairing two 100aH batteries with a 3000W inverter. The 100aH Battle Born (BB) battery is capable of a sustained 100amps DC output for 1 hour. This is known as a "1C" rating. Two BBs in parallel means a maximum of 200 amps. (There is a surge capacity above 200 amps, but only for a short time.) What must be realized is the 3000W inverter can produce and sustain up to 25 amps of 120vAC. Using the rule of 10, that means the batteries have to supply 250 amps of 12vDC. See the problem? The batteries won't supply that much current (for very long at surge output) and even though they will surge to that level they will quickly be exhausted.

I have four BBs paired with a Victron 12/3000 for the exact reason outlined in the paragraph above. I learned all of that outlined above from Garrett Towne, lead engineer at AMSolar.

The second issue is not having shore power connected to the inverter. Your BBs will recharge at a phenomenal rate--it would be a shame to not utilize the GoPower's capability when on shore power to recharge the batteries. Without wiring in the GoPower you'll need to swap out the OEM converter with a lithium compatible version if you want to charge the BBs correctly (albeit slowly). Forgive my bluntness, but that doesn't make any sense. My advice is to wire in the GoPower.. Edit: Maybe I misunderstood your post? Perhaps just the output of the GoPower won't be wired to the trailer?

Third, if you have an internal Electrical Management System (like the Progressive EMS-HW50C) I *think* you'll run into an error code due to the neutral and ground not being tied together at the inverter. I'm not an electrician so that's informed speculation based on what I've read from others. OffToHavasu or the other "real" electricians can verify or debunk that notion.

Finally, I'm "just a guy on the internet". I'd urge you to run your plan past a licensed distributor of the GoPower inverter and get their .02. Even if you have to pay a few dollars extra IMHO it is well worth having a knowledgeable person to call. (Exactly why I bought from a licensed distributor of Victron equipment--even though they were far from the least expensive option.)

Good luck.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I don't see a problem with it as long as you disable the OEM converter that came with the RV. I ran my rig like this for several years before finally hard wiring it.

Jim
          cvretis

I also ran this way before I hard-wired my system and added solar. As Jim cautioned, it's *extremely* important that you switch off the converter when you are inverting. Not doing so results in a dangerous electrical cycle that -- at the very least -- will kill your batteries. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget to switch off the converter.

-Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Inputs below are meant to help, not be criticism.

First issue is pairing two 100aH batteries with a 3000W inverter. The 100aH Battle Born (BB) battery is capable of a sustained 100amps DC output for 1 hour. This is known as a "1C" rating. Two BBs in parallel means a maximum of 200 amps. (There is a surge capacity above 200 amps, but only for a short time.) What must be realized is the 3000W inverter can produce and sustain up to 25 amps of 120vAC. Using the rule of 10, that means the batteries have to supply 250 amps of 12vDC. See the problem? The batteries won't supply that much current (for very long at surge output) and even though they will surge to that level they will quickly be exhausted.

I have four BBs paired with a Victron 12/3000 for the exact reason outlined in the paragraph above. I learned all of that outlined above from Garrett Towne, lead engineer at AMSolar.

The second issue is not having shore power connected to the inverter. Your BBs will recharge at a phenomenal rate--it would be a shame to not utilize the GoPower's capability when on shore power to recharge the batteries. Without wiring in the GoPower you'll need to swap out the OEM converter with a lithium compatible version if you want to charge the BBs correctly (albeit slowly). Forgive my bluntness, but that doesn't make any sense. My advice is to wire in the GoPower.. Edit: Maybe I misunderstood your post? Perhaps just the output of the GoPower won't be wired to the trailer?

Third, if you have an internal Electrical Management System (like the Progressive EMS-HW50C) I *think* you'll run into an error code due to the neutral and ground not being tied together at the inverter. I'm not an electrician so that's informed speculation based on what I've read from others. OffToHavasu or the other "real" electricians can verify or debunk that notion.

Finally, I'm "just a guy on the internet". I'd urge you to run your plan past a licensed distributor of the GoPower inverter and get their .02. Even if you have to pay a few dollars extra IMHO it is well worth having a knowledgeable person to call. (Exactly why I bought from a licensed distributor of Victron equipment--even though they were far from the least expensive option.)

Good luck.

Howard
            Here's some good info on the GoPower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDw...nel=GoPower%21
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X